Review R4i Gold Review

Tux'

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello everyone and welcome to my review of the R4i Gold! I would like to especially thank Lightake for sending me this review item!

lightake_Logo_180X49.jpg

Introduction

So when I first got the R4i Gold from Lightake, I thought it would just be another R4 knock off, but with the release of Wood for R4i, I was very excited about receiving it. I tested it out, and it was absolutely perfect.

Packaging

The packaging, when I got it, was nice and compact, like all flashcart boxes nowadays, but it was very eye appealing, to say the least.

DSCN5355.jpg

DSCN5357.jpg

DSCN5358.jpg

I was happy that the packaging was hardly damaged during the ride, it always reassures me that nothing in the box should be damaged.

The contents of the box inculded:
1x MicroSD to USB reader
1x R4i Gold
1x Blue wrist strap
1x Carrying case, which the R4i was held in

DSCN5360.jpg

I give the packaging a solid 10/10. It was in perfect condition when arriving at my destination, it had a good strong plastic layer which held everything in it, and as a bonus, it came with a strap and carrying case.

Software

The R4i Gold has two different types of software; The original R4i Kernel, and the Wood R4 kernel. They implemented the Wood R4 kernel into the old one so you can boot into the Wood menu, but the game compatibility is the same between the two kernels.

DSCN5372.jpg

DSCN5371.jpg

Game Compatibility

I tested some games on the regular R4i Gold, and Wood kernel, and they worked on every game I threw at the software.

Mario vs Donkey Kong: Miniland Mayhem works
MapleStory DS works
Tetris Party Deluxe works
Tales of Innocence works
Castlevania Dawn of Sorrow works
Golden Sun Dark Dawn works

I give the game compatibility a 10/10. It worked with everything I threw at it, and it didn't even falter in any parts of the game I tested it in, it is perfect.

Homebrew Compatibility

I did not get the chance to try much homebrew, but the usual SNES emulator, SnemulDS seemed to work, as did GBAExpLoader, and CLIRC.

SneMul DS works
Lameboy works
CLIRC Works
NesDS Works

So far I give the Homebrew Compatibility a 10/10. The usual stuff I test works just perfectly, and I have had no errors.

The software for the most part is good, the R4i Gold even supports SDHC. I tried using my Lexar 4GB SDHC card and it loaded the menus just fine, including the Wood menu. I tried loading endless games, but no games would load for me, but when I used my 2GB SD cards, it worked just fine.

I give the software in total a 9/10. Even though the compatibility worked one hundred percent, the SDHC compatibility was a bit of a downside for me because the R4i gold wouldn't load any games using my SDHC card.

Hardware

The hardware of the R4i Gold is similar to the R4 gold, but has a few differences. One being the color of the sticker, and the other is the red PCB of the cartridge.

[title:Pictures of the R4i Gold]
DSCN5369.jpg

DSCN5364.jpg

DSCN5366.jpg

The R4i Gold is very sturdy and holds out very well. The cart does not feel like it has been made cheap, it is very durable. The best part of the hardware is that, unlike the one to one clone of the R4, the R4i Gold does not tend to stick inside the DS slot, unlike the R4 does. Another positive of the R4 is that the micro sd slot is not spring loaded, so there is no problem of the micro sd card flying out after pressing down and flying across the room.

DSCN5370.jpg

I give the hardware a 10/10. Nothing went wrong when using it, or even tossing it around and dropping it on a hard surface or ground. It is the ideal cart to get if you tend to be a bit clumsy, or let little kids play with the cartridge itself.

Conclusion

The R4i Gold is probably the best DS cartridge to buy because it is inexpensive, really good build quality, and it supports Wood. It is such an amazing cartridge, I could probably compare it to the Supercard DSONE, minus a few features, like a real time menu. It is a great flash cart for a person who is new to to DS flashcarts.

Pros
  • Works on DSi V1.4.1
  • Cost efficient
  • SDHC Compatible
  • Wood R4 Supported
Cons
  • Does not seem to work with my SDHC
Packaging: 10/10
Software: 9/10
Hardware: 10/10

Total: 9.7/10

Once again I would like to thank Lightake for providing me with this review sample!

lightake_Logo_180X49.jpg

Pyrmon

Burnin' Monkey Love
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Vigilante said:
how long did it take the package to be delivered to you,I ordered an r4i gold about last december 27 and still I havent received anything
It can take 2-3 weeks to arrive. Just wait a little bit more.

Nathan Drake

Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.
Trophies
XP
Country
I found the review to be kind of short and not all that in depth. More extensive testing for games and homebrew would have been fantastic. What you normally use may not be what everybody else normally uses, so you have to take that into account.

Besides that, you just need to fix some of the spoiler tags.

Tux'

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nathan Drake said:
I found the review to be kind of short and not all that in depth. More extensive testing for games and homebrew would have been fantastic. What you normally use may not be what everybody else normally uses, so you have to take that into account.

Besides that, you just need to fix some of the spoiler tags.

yes, yes I know, I am going to to fix the spoiler tags, and I will get more testing done, I am in fact doing some testing right now.

Clookster

Your Clookster
Banned
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
Swaziland
I ordered a R4iDSN five weeks ago from Lightake and still received nothing.
toot.gif

Are all R4i Gold printed "Revoltition" instead of "Revolution"? At the Lightake page, pictures say "Revolution".

You know, I'd prefer a Revolution rather than a Revoltition.

But I might be wrong.

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
you need to increase your testing sample size
about 20 games and the same goes for homebrew

also you mentioned your couldnt get games to load with SDHC which is a pretty big problem and you only subtracted 1 point for it

Ryukouki

See you later, guys.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The best tips to avoid all of that: Do all testing beforehand and THEN post the review. It's sometimes bad to leave a review unfinished like that. What I usually run are the problematic games like Golden Sun and like 60 other ones, for about 5 minutes each to see if any problems arise.

Tux'

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Joe88 said:
you need to increase your testing sample size
about 20 games and the same goes for homebrew

also you mentioned your couldnt get games to load with SDHC which is a pretty big problem and you only subtracted 1 point for it

Thing is I think it may be only my SDHC card that does that, but I will fix that up, just give me a minute.

QUOTE(Ryukouki @ Jan 8 2011, 09:43 PM) The best tips to avoid all of that: Do all testing beforehand and THEN post the review. It's sometimes bad to leave a review unfinished like that. What I usually run are the problematic games like Golden Sun and like 60 other ones, for about 5 minutes each to see if any problems arise.

Yes, yes I know, sadly I haven't had much time due to my life, and wasn't able to do too much. This past week I have not been able to get on, little own, touch my laptop due to finals coming up, work, and sports. I have had this cartridge for awhile, and have had no time to write out a review for it, that's why I tested so quickly. But I guess I can't make excuses, I am sorry for making such a bad review...

Ryukouki

See you later, guys.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's not a bad review at all! don't be so down on yourself! Next time though, just try and add a few more test subjects and be a little more careful with scoring!
smile.gif

kiafazool

Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
Clookster said:
toot.gif

Are all R4i Gold printed "Revoltition" instead of "Revolution"? At the Lightake page, pictures say "Revolution".

But I might be wrong.
OMG THAT IS HILARIOUS
rofl.gif
rofl.gif
rofl.gif
rofl.gif
rofl.gif

i didn't even see that

you have good eyes

im pretty sure others would say REVOLUTION

Tux'

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
kiafazool said:
Clookster said:
toot.gif

But I might be wrong.
OMG THAT IS HILARIOUS
rofl.gif
rofl.gif
rofl.gif
rofl.gif
rofl.gif

i didn't even see that

you have good eyes

Holy shit, he's right, I am looking at the sticker right now and didn't even realize it till now xD

Also I am getting some testing done, just have to move some games to my SD card now.... I'll fix it up in just a second.

And it only seems to be my SDHC card that doesn't work with the R4i Gold, maybe it's just me but others have said it works just fine.

_Chaz_

GBAtemp's Official Mook™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Tux' said:
kiafazool said:
Clookster said:
toot.gif

But I might be wrong.
OMG THAT IS HILARIOUS
rofl.gif
rofl.gif
rofl.gif
rofl.gif
rofl.gif

i didn't even see that

you have good eyes

Holy shit, he's right, I am looking at the sticker right now and didn't even realize it till now xD

Also I am getting some testing done, just have to move some games to my SD card now.... I'll fix it up in just a second.

And it only seems to be my SDHC card that doesn't work with the R4i Gold, maybe it's just me but others have said it works just fine.
Perhaps your cart is a fake?

Tux'

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Pyrate02 said:
I ordered a bunch of R4i Gold from Light Take and they all worked fine with Transcend Class 6 Micro SD card, 4gb. I like the quality of them better than the AceKard 2i.

Yeah, mines a Class 2 Lexar 4GB MSDHC, so I don't know what's wrong with mine, maybe just the brand or something? But it does work with a majority of SDHC cards I'm pretty sure.
_Chaz_ said:
Tux' said:
kiafazool said:
QUOTE(Clookster @ Jan 8 2011, 10:37 PM) I ordered a R4iDSN five weeks ago from Lightake and still received nothing.
toot.gif

But I might be wrong.
OMG THAT IS HILARIOUS
rofl.gif
rofl.gif
rofl.gif
rofl.gif
rofl.gif

i didn't even see that

you have good eyes

Perhaps your cart is a fake?

Well Wood seems to work with it, so I would assume not.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    ubisoft should #stopkillinggames ngl
  • Badcatalex @ Badcatalex:
    sony should #stopkillinggames
  • Badcatalex @ Badcatalex:
    they killed LittleBigPlanet online, which was the main core of every LBP game
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    for real
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    at least with them, it was because of the DDOS attacks, ubisoft was just scummy
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    fuck ubisoft, and fuck activision
    +1
  • realtimesave @ realtimesave:
    Nintendo needs to release a new console, switch is getting such shitty little games lately lol it's pathetic
  • Purple_Heart @ Purple_Heart:
    Lmao a new flashcart... The Unlock Switch... I knew it's not fake xD
    +1
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    A new consoles won't solve that problem
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    It will actually make it worse
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    well actually
    a new console won't do anything right now, because the games are still in development, that's why there are few games being released
    it won't make the games finish any faster
  • Veho @ Veho:
    2/3rds of launch titles for the Switch 2 will just be lazy ports of Switch games anyway.
    probably
    maybe mario kart 9 will be a launch title
    i really want a new mario kart
  • Veho @ Veho:
    What, you mean the endless stream of DLCs doesn't count?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Why develop a new game when you can just sell season passes forever?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I'm still on MKDS so I'm not bothered :tpi:
    i like the dlc tbh, i'd like a new game more
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    but the current version is still selling fine at full price
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Hello
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    sup
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @realtimesave, You seen the Unlock Switch flashcart yet?
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @realtimesave, You seen the Unlock Switch flashcart yet?