Hardware R4i Gold 3ds Question

skullpanda86

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi i need some help please,so i just bought an r4i gold 3ds cart,according to the site i bought it from they quote "Pre-flashed service, this card is already working on your latest version of 3DS and DSi." (http://www.thegamerdepot.com/buy-wood-r4i-gold-3ds-card-for-3ds-xl3dsdsids-p-150.html) which is great if they're saying they pre flash it with like the latest version of wood,but i think i might have a problem on my side because i have a 3ds XL with 4.4.0-10u,does anyone know if they latest updates to R4i 3DS gold will work on 4.4.0-10u?if so thank you greatly for future responses

jamsplodge

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Yes it will work and the R4i Gold Deluxe Omni Mega cart doesn't come "preflashed" at all. They'll have put the wood firmware that can install the exploit in a micro SD for you I would have thought. If not, who knows what they're talking about. Either way it will work on 4.4.

skullpanda86

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes it will work and the R4i Gold Deluxe Omni Mega cart doesn't come "preflashed" at all. They'll have put the wood firmware that can install the exploit in a micro SD for you I would have thought. If not, who knows what they're talking about. Either way it will work on 4.4.

Ok so if they did pre flash it with the latest wood update it should work with my firmware 4.4.0-10U using the latest R4i gold firmware (not wood)

skullpanda86

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The reason i ask these questions is because i don't have a DS/DS-i/DS-i XL so i would have no way to flash the wood version on my 3ds if it doesn't work on 4.4.0-10u

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
They probs mean latest boot loader update....for people who already updated their console and don't have another to update the boot loader.

The version of wood r4 is irrelevant as that can just be copied to the SD card yourself.......plus how could they give you the latest wood r4 if you buy it without an SD card XD

skullpanda86

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They probs mean latest boot loader update....for people who already updated their console and don't have another to update the boot loader.

Ok but that doesn't tell me if the card will work on 4.4.0-10U with the latest r4i 3ds gold update or not?if the wood isn't updated past a certain point then im pretty sure it won't work on 4.4.0-10U,could be wrong,but i don't know for sure.

FireEmblemGuy

Celebrating a decade of shitposting
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wood has nothing to do with the booting process of the card. Wood files have to be loaded onto the SD card anyways. The card is updated to boot on all 3DS models up to 7.1.0, meaning it'll work on a 4.4 system; you can load whatever version of Wood you want onto the SD card yourself.

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Yeah but I don't many sellers would still be selling pre 5.x cards, they would just get too many returns/ complaints, any any cards capable of running on 7.x are probs 5.x + by default, don't panic until you try anyways

skullpanda86

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wood has nothing to do with the booting process of the card. Wood files have to be loaded onto the SD card anyways. The card is updated to boot on all 3DS models up to 7.1.0, meaning it'll work on a 4.4 system; you can load whatever version of Wood you want onto the SD card yourself.

Ok thank you,see that basically should answer my question perfectly,now im just curious of something,do the R4i carts work by find exploits in the games (ds ones) similar to that of like what we seen on the psp?i ask because i noticed every time they do an update they have a different game icon/name so i thought maybe they were using modified games that execute the exploit

Gadorach

Electronics Engineering Technologist
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Ok thank you,see that basically should answer my question perfectly,now im just curious of something,do the R4i carts work by find exploits in the games (ds ones) similar to that of like what we seen on the psp?i ask because i noticed every time they do an update they have a different game icon/name so i thought maybe they were using modified games that execute the exploit
No, this is not the case. The firmware updates inject the game identification information of a retail game into the bootrom of the flash cart. This is used to trick the console into thinking the flash cart is a legitimate game, thus allowing it to boot and take over the emulated DS-mode on the 3DS to launch its own code. Besides changing the target game used to get past the boot check, there's also evasion of the secondary checks put in place to detect flash cart boot loaders. Overall it's nothing special, just playing cat and mouse as always.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkYA4rALqEE