R4i Gold (3DS-Compatible) Review

Discussion in 'Official GBAtemp Reviews' started by Rydian, May 19, 2011.

1. Rydian
    OP

Rydian Resident Furvert™

Feb 4, 2010
    United States
    Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    http://www.realhotstuff.com/ and http://www.zhuzhuchina.com/store/ are two of the last recommended stores left, since most stores have stopped selling flash carts.

2. Clowkun

Clowkun Newbie

Newcomer
    Sep 14, 2012
    United States
    Thank you kindly, I mean you seem trust worthy enough. It may not be wise, but I also feel a little more at ease, hearing from my own kind and what not, if you catch my drift :3 I suppose I don't have a lot of cash anyhow, and a checking card is an easy enough thing to get fixed up, but ya know I'm quite worried over this sort of thing, was bad enough I had to lose Demonoid, I don't really like venturing into the unknown and all that stuff ^^;;

3. GamerzHell9137

GamerzHell9137 GBAtemp Psycho!

Nov 1, 2011
    Bosnia and Herzegovina
    Fix this shiz.
    I can't read anything.

4. Rydian
    OP

Rydian Resident Furvert™

Feb 4, 2010
    United States
    If I edit it now it'll be locked in as HTML (due to using custom tags, if it's not already locked in), I can't manipulate that since I'm not staff. Gotta' wait for the parser updates and crap to fix threads like this.

5. dreampeppers99

dreampeppers99 GBAtemp Regular

Jul 21, 2010
    Brazil
    Since the first post is kinda screwed with html tags showing everywhere... can you guys tell me, or point a link to...

How can I run a game on R4i and then go back to run another one without coming back to 3DS system menu ?

6. Rydian
    OP

Rydian Resident Furvert™

Feb 4, 2010
    United States
    L+R+A+B+Down if I remember right.

7. dreampeppers99

dreampeppers99 GBAtemp Regular

Jul 21, 2010
    Brazil

8. GamerzHell9137

GamerzHell9137 GBAtemp Psycho!

Nov 1, 2011
    Bosnia and Herzegovina
    Rydian when are u gonna update the review :/ ?
    It looks awful with all of those failed codes.

9. Rydian
    OP

Rydian Resident Furvert™

Feb 4, 2010
    United States
    I have to wait for the forum system to update to allow a fix for it. A lot of the older guides and posts are the same way, we're all waiting on a parser update to convert it back to usable formatting.

10. Live_Steam_Mad

Live_Steam_Mad Newbie

Newcomer
    Feb 15, 2011
    Just bought my R4i Gold 3DS from nds-card.com (GBAtemp supporter I was told). 16 USD plus 2 USD for registered Airmail to me in UK. Was previously trying to buy from Dsflashcart.com but they didn't accept Mastercard! Then heard about Nds-card.com and found I could use Paypal with them. Hope the card works directly with my DSi XL 1.4.5E without needing any updating on another console?

I had 1.4.1E on my DSi XL and an Acekard 2i went to update my AK2i firmware first to 1.44 (latest version on their website) and it did the firmware update of the AK2i OK (after failing multiple times using several attempts using different AKAIO's, I tried 1.8.5, 1.8.6a, 1.8.7, 1.8.9, 1.9.0, and the last one I tried of 1.9.0 worked finally, it was a HWID 8181 card), but then I updated the DSi XL and thought it would go to 1.4.4E since that was the latest one on AK2i website, but instead it went to 1.4.5E and stopped the AK2i working! Whoops!

So now I needed a card which works with 1.4.5E on my DSi XL. BTW I have no other DS consoles to update from.

Does anyone know whether this R4i Gold 3DS card works properly (with saves working) with Zelda Phantom Hourglass Dpad hack, or at the very least with a clean dump of the game. By clean dump I mean with a CRC32 of 8B431C41 (can check the ROM using http://f-crc-calculator.software.informer.com/download/ and the database at http://www.advanscene.com/ ).

It's a shame that I need a new cart as my AK2i worked great with Zelda Phantom Hourglass Dpad hack. Oh well. AK2i is apparently not likely to be updated anymore (constraints of the hardware) so I read.

Cheers,

Alistair G.

11. Rydian
    OP

Rydian Resident Furvert™

Feb 4, 2010
    United States
    Yeah Wood supports all the older clean-dump DS ROMs too, and if the shop updates the cart first it'll come ready to run.

12. Irish 3DS Gamer

Irish 3DS Gamer Newbie

Newcomer
    Apr 30, 2013
    Got my R4i Gold 3DS from www.r4town.com a few days ago for €10.95 w/ €2.50 registered airmail to Ireland. Received in about 9 days so quite happy :)

Supports the Wood Kernel, as its from www.r4i-gold.eu.

So far so good and haven't had any problems as of yet. Running fine on FW 5.1.0-11E :-)

13. Rydian
    OP

Rydian Resident Furvert™

Feb 4, 2010
    United States
    Sorry, you bought a clone!

http://gbatemp.net/threads/wood-firmwares-v1-58-update.346640/
    Read the quote from the author of Wood himself.
    The "Wood" that your cart has is actually an old version of Wood (back when the source was available), with the version info changed and different loaders stuck in, because it's a clone and isn't supported by the author of Wood.

14. Irish 3DS Gamer

Irish 3DS Gamer Newbie

Newcomer
    Apr 30, 2013
    Well, on the actual product page it said its from R4ids.cn so maybe I'm mistaken but thanks for that. Intriguing...

15. Rydian
    OP

Rydian Resident Furvert™

Feb 4, 2010
    United States
    Look at the sticker on the front of the cart. If it's the "EU" one, then the shop sent you a clone instead of the real one. It's rare nowadays, but some shops will do it, accidentally or on purpose.

If that's what happened, you need to send it in for a replacement. DS stuff is not region-locked, there is no such thing as an "EU" version of a flash cart.

16. Irish 3DS Gamer

Irish 3DS Gamer Newbie

Newcomer
    Apr 30, 2013
    It is the EU one indeed. Apart from Wood Support, what else would my ''clone'' lack that legit ones would get?

17. Rydian
    OP

Rydian Resident Furvert™

Feb 4, 2010
    United States
    http://gbatemp.net/threads/which-flash-cart-should-i-get.290097/
    Read the explanation lower in the first post for why we don't support clones. The fact that your cart's team needs to re-label somebody else's software in order to look legit should be a big red flag in the first place.

18. Gun Slinger Boy

Gun Slinger Boy White Knight of the internet

Newcomer
    Mar 13, 2012
    United States
    MARS
    Well even though I completely screwed that post up I wound up getting a free flashcart anyways. I'll post my thoughts about it on GBAtemp sometime soon

19. DarkSoulJoao

DarkSoulJoao Newbie

Newcomer
    Jun 19, 2013
    Spain
    Somewhere in this country!
    Hello! Could someone please recommend me a very reliable page that ships worldwide, because I really want to buy one of this R4 =D

20. Rydian
    OP

Rydian Resident Furvert™

Feb 4, 2010
    United States