Hacking r4i 4ds gold RTS - White 2 / black 2 not booting up. Stuck on title screen with glitchy music.

sp3off

GBATemp's least active boy
Trophies
XP
Country
France
*sees 4ds* *is tilted*

Site name ? Maybe I can find a kernel from the Linfox Domain.

(might be kernel related I do not know haha)

Gcentrex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
GUYS. IT WAS THE SD CARD!

I tried several different ones (but all class 4...) but my class 10 64 GB does work ._.!!

Only afew class 4 cards work correctly in flash cards since their slow as hell, only a single class 4 card ever worked for me.

Just remember SD card class/formatting/kernel to make them work good

Nickm23

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Will keep that in mind in the future! I just never expected that to be the issue since everything else worked :)

sp3off

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Depends on the usage. To be fair I've had a class 4 SD card and played Pokemon White/Black 2 successfully.

Gcentrex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yeah class 4 is slow. you really want class 10 at least.

Not really a good quality class 4 will work but most always sucked, a class 6 will work class 10 is really too much for DS flash cards to take advantage of but it since their so cheap now.

Will keep that in mind in the future! I just never expected that to be the issue since everything else worked :)

That's all that matters, it's working enjoy.

Depends on the usage. To be fair I've had a class 4 SD card and played Pokemon White/Black 2 successfully.

Yep I have a Kingston that works good in one of my Acekart 2i's the second has a class 10 32gb Samsung card

Zaphod77

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
sdcard class is a guaranteed minimum access time for read and write. while any individual class 4 may transfer fast enough, it's not guaranteed. It may work, it may not. games that bank switch rapidly need a faster card to keep up, since the flash cart has to dynamically swap memory on the fly from the filesystem.

This is to guarantee writing of recorded video without dropped frames.

Last edited by Zaphod77,

Gcentrex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
sdcard class is a guaranteed minimum access time for read and write. while any individual class 4 may transfer fast enough, it's not guaranteed. It may work, it may not. games that bank switch rapidly need a faster card to keep up, since the flash cart has to dynamically swap memory on the fly from the filesystem.

This is to guarantee writing of recorded video without dropped frames.

Yeah I remember needing to figure it all out back in the day.

You might be shocked... Mine is a NONAME 8 Gb SD Card Class 4 and it works perfectly...

That's rare you had good luck on that one for sure

sp3off

Trophies
XP
Country
France
That's rare you had good luck on that one for sure

Probably haha. I still do have one blocked, and it was a NONAME 16gb, permanently blocked idk how and why. I've saw dd methods that can might recover it but not sure if it can work.

Zaphod77

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
PS: when a game slows down from the flashcart, and not from the real cart, this is why. Metroid Prime Pinball is well known for this. it swaps data from rom all the friggin time. that's why it has such horrible frame drops in twloader.

sp3off

Trophies
XP
Country
France
PS: when a game slows down from the flashcart, and not from the real cart, this is why. Metroid Prime Pinball is well known for this. it swaps data from rom all the friggin time. that's why it has such horrible frame drops in twloader.

For the only reason that the game was coded to be like this unfortunately. But... I do think people might have fixed it, or patched it, like the IPS Fix for Mario and Sonic at the Olympic Winter Games.

Zaphod77

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i would love to see a fixed ROM for this, but i think it's technically difficult. The game simply assumes certain speeds, though it is coded to handle the situation gracefully instead of just crashing. this tells me that the drops rarely happen on the real thing, so the game was coded to account for it.

i've also heard that the original r4 was not subject to these drops when paired with a sufficiently high quality sdcard. the later carts try to be more compatible, but some speed is lost i think. ormaybe it's the car titself that cuases the pause while the memory becomes available.

Last edited by Zaphod77,
Reactions: Gcentrex

Gcentrex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Probably haha. I still do have one blocked, and it was a NONAME 16gb, permanently blocked idk how and why. I've saw dd methods that can might recover it but not sure if it can work.

Yeah some cards from eBay and the like did some weird things to make the card look bigger but not really be that size. I can't fully recall how to fix it.

That's true but twloader is slower then even my Acekart playing games, maybe one day it will run decent

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    A @ anotherthing: The Nintendo servers are going down in 9 days anyway.