R4DS Loader 1.10 released

funem

Retro Powered..
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Ah, I thought it was saying it needed 2mega byte, I already know about the Mega bit and mega byte thing.

Does that mean the other 512k saves the R4 creates for other games is alot bigger than needed then ?

Rayder

Mostly lurking lately....
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, that 2Mb tripped me up too. Why do they still dork around with megabits? Why can't they just use megabytes and drop the "bits" crap. I've never understood that. All it does is confuse people. I mean, I understand the formula to translate megabits to megabytes, but still....why?!?

I'm sure there must be some kind of logical explanation for why they insist on using megabits on cartridges. If anyone knows why, could they explain?

iq_132

Trophies
Website
neosource.1emu.net
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, that 2Mb tripped me up too. Why do they still dork around with megabits? Why can't they just use megabytes and drop the "bits" crap. I've never understood that. All it does is confuse people. I mean, I understand the formula to translate megabits to megabytes, but still....why?!?

I'm sure there must be some kind of logical explanation for why they insist on using megabits on cartridges. If anyone knows why, could they explain?

It makes the cartridges sound like they hold more: "Bigger is better"

funem

Retro Powered..
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Yeah, that 2Mb tripped me up too. Why do they still dork around with megabits? Why can't they just use megabytes and drop the "bits" crap. I've never understood that. All it does is confuse people. I mean, I understand the formula to translate megabits to megabytes, but still....why?!?

I'm sure there must be some kind of logical explanation for why they insist on using megabits on cartridges. If anyone knows why, could they explain?

My guess is that selling something as mega bit will make people jump out and buy it only to find it one eighth the size they thought. There is no other explination I have ever come across other than to make it look bigger than it is to the ones who know nothing about the bits and byte thing.

Mailenste

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Ok, here is the deal:

I use a M3 DS Simply, but cannot run Sim City DS or Zelda:PH. So because of that I tried to patch the R4 firmware to make it run on my M3 DS Simply.

- So, I've deleted all files from my miniSD-card and only left the games.
- Drag & dropped all files from the 1.10 R4 firmware except the _DS_MENU.DAT file.
- Patched the _DS_MENU.DAT and moved the new file to the card.

But when I load up the DS, it gives me errors. Any help pls? Thx in advance!

cory1492

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

Have a look at spec sheets for any flash chip (or for that matter memory IC's in general) - the actual chips that go inside of stuff - and you will see it's size is always first listed in bits. I suspect the reason being for continuing to use megabit as size standards in memory and things that use raw memory is the simple fact that the commercial industries have bastardized Meagabyte to mean 1000 bytes instead of 1024 as it should be. Besides, is it really that tough to divide by 8?

iq_132

Trophies
Website
neosource.1emu.net
XP
Country
United States
No problem at all. I'm just glad you could track down the problem.
smile.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Synthetic chocolate will be a thing lol