Homebrew R4 Question

Fricksta

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not sure if this is the right place to post this question or not, but either way...will the R4 work with a 4 gig mini SD?

Thanks in advance for the help!

Holaitsme

10/10 would be loyal again
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
i will work with 4gb micro sd but those are hard to find and really slow
but if it says sdhc on the front then no becuase the r4 cant support sdhc
ph34r.gif

Minox

Thanks for the fish
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
holaitsme said:
i will work with 4gb micro sd but those are hard to find and really slow
but if it says sdhc on the front then no becuase the r4 cant support sdhc
ph34r.gif
Don't even mention 4GB non-sdhc microSD's they're very hard to find and they lack in performance.

If you'd want 2GB+ why don't get a flashkart that supports SDHC?

krazykirk

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
jordanlp said:
No, they don't work with 4gb even non-sdhc.
They do with with 4gb non-sdhc microsd cards, what are you talking about?

The performance is apparently shocking and they are extremely hard to find nowdays though.

And a minisd card will not fit in the slot XD

Minox

Thanks for the fish
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
There was some non-sdhc microSD's a while ago, but they had awful speeds, they were hard to find and cost much.

Rayder

Mostly lurking lately....
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Narin said:
If you have an R4, go with a Kingston 2 gig MicroSD card, if your looking to get a flashcard, don't get an R4.

What Narin said. I have 2 more Kingston 2gig cards on order right now from Newegg.com. Should receive them around Tuesday or Wednesday. I'll be up to 8gigs of goodness on the DS, if you count the 2gigs in the SCminiSD in slot2.

I have this case:
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.6782

As you can see it has space to hold up to 3 DS carts in it, though I actually bought it for the extra comfort the side handles provide (and believe me, it DOES provide quite a bit of comfort on long game sessions). I plan to use those DS cart spaces to hold the extra microSD's in their SD converter (they fit in there pretty well when turned sideways). One for the standard DS games. One for all the homebrew and emulator stuff (mostly NeoDS since those games eat a lot of space) and one for.......well I'm not sure yet, but I'll have it if I need it.
tongue.gif
Naturally, one will always be in the R4, so I'll only be using 2 of the 3 spaces.

I was thinking of buying a new flashcart that supports SDHC (CycloDS seems like the best one out right now) and getting an 8gig SDHC card for it, but just buying a couple more 2gig'er microSD's for my still working R4 is a lot cheaper and I don't feel like hunting down a bunch of new utilities for a different flashcart.

Toni Plutonij

*has TrolleyDave & tiny p1ngy on moderating shelf!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Funny thing is that SanDisk non-SDHC 4 GB is very common here in tech. shops where I live..
It will work with R4, but non-SDHC 4 GB microSD is known for bad functionality, low speed and unreliability so it is unrecommended to use..it often gets corrupted (friend of mine used it, and he wasn't satisfied, so he switched to 2 GB card)..
QUOTE said:
No, they don't work with 4gb even non-sdhc.

I don't know where do you get your informations, but you had lots of false and unreliable comments in past few days!!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans: butte