Hacking Quick vWii DVD-r question

apachehavok

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Angola
Have a wii with an old mod chip that would play full DVD-r backups

Modded the vWii on the wiiU and was wondering what the best way to get these DVD-r backups on a USB for the USB loader

WiiU can't read DVD-rs right? So ripping them direct is out of the question

They are all full backups with the dummy data so all clock in at full 4.37 gb disks if ripped to isos

What would be the best way to get then all USB compatible on a USB hdd?

Thanks!!

Reactions: GR-DRACULA

Edizius

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
You can also inatall hbc on your wii. There are some dumping programs to dump to sd or usb (e.g. Usb-loader gx can do this directly... i think by pressing +).
This image you can then put on your usb-hdd to boot via vwii

AmandaRose

Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it’s a plan
Trophies
Website
www.rockstarnorth.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
You can also inatall hbc on your wii. There are some dumping programs to dump to sd or usb (e.g. Usb-loader gx can do this directly... i think by pressing +).
This image you can then put on your usb-hdd to boot via vwii
That would only work with retail discs not backup disks like the op is asking about.

Reactions: GR-DRACULA

DocAmes1980

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Screw all that. Just use Wii Backup Manager:

First decide if you want to use NTFS or FAT32. I use FAT32 so I can load GC backup on the same drive. NTFS will work fine if you don't plan on using it for GC games. Then...

1. Download: http://www.wiibackupmanager.co.uk/WiiBackupManager_Build78.html
2. Launch WBM
3. Insert Game disc
4. Click on the Drive 1 tab and select the drive letter of the USB drive you wish to use for Wii backups. If you don't have a wbfs folder it will create one for you.
5. Select the DVD tab and then select the drive letter of the optical drive with the game disc. The name of the game and the title id will appear in the field below
6. Select the game and click transfer > Drive 1
7. Repeat 2- 6 until Bob's your uncle

The game will be copied to an appropriately named folder in the wbfs folder on your USB drive. It will be in .wbfs format so that save space and the folder will be named correctly so your USB loader will have no issue figuring out what game it is.

Reactions: futaris

DocAmes1980

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think you can try to use Trinux, a 3 core linux (https://gbatemp.net/threads/vwii-tri-core-linux.351024/), to rip game disc from External USB DVD (both backups DVD-R or Retail/Original game disc (https://www.amazon.com/External-LG-GDR-8082N-netbook-Laptop/dp/B001TPUXVQ)) to USB HDD and/or SD card on Wii U in vWii, instead of rip and backup game disc by using the PC and then transfer to Wii U back and forth.

That solution isn't even for ripping Wii backups to a USB drive. It's only for ripping them to an 8GB SD card. Not to mention it's a pain in the backside to setup, it's one game per SD card, and requires a hard to find drive that will probably cost you over $50. I have no idea what you are talking about "back and forth." Rip them all and you're done.

Last edited by DocAmes1980,

apachehavok

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Angola
Screw all that. Just use Wii Backup Manager:

First decide if you want to use NTFS or FAT32. I use FAT32 so I can load GC backup on the same drive. NTFS will work fine if you don't plan on using it for GC games. Then...

1. Download: http://www.wiibackupmanager.co.uk/WiiBackupManager_Build78.html
2. Launch WBM
3. Insert Game disc
4. Click on the Drive 1 tab and select the drive letter of the USB drive you wish to use for Wii backups. If you don't have a wbfs folder it will create one for you.
5. Select the DVD tab and then select the drive letter of the optical drive with the game disc. The name of the game and the title id will appear in the field below
6. Select the game and click transfer > Drive 1
7. Repeat 2- 6 until Bob's your uncle

The game will be copied to an appropriately named folder in the wbfs folder on your USB drive. It will be in .wbfs format so that save space and the folder will be named correctly so your USB loader will have no issue figuring out what game it is.
Awesome!!!

So a PC drive will read a DVD-r wii full backup disk right?

Also for 8.5gb dual layer disks, will that program handle it if the hdd is fat32?

Also will that program read the HDD if the USB hard drive is stealthed?

Last question. Some games had crazy copy protection like the new Super Mario Wii from what I remember. Does the USB loader handle those fine?

Irastris

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So a PC drive will read a DVD-r wii full backup disk right? Also for 8.5gb dual layer disks, will that program handle it if the hdd is fat32? Also will that program read the HDD if the USB hard drive is stealthed? Some games had crazy copy protection like the new Super Mario Wii from what I remember. Does the USB loader handle those fine?

Yes, Yes, No, Yes.

Reactions: KiiWii

DocAmes1980

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Also for 8.5gb dual layer disks, will that program handle it if the hdd is fat32?

Oh yeah I should have explained that. It splits the game into two .wbfs files and the loader plays it just like a normal game. I'd say FAT32 is the way to go as long as you don't need to store files on it that are greater than 4 GB. Which for Wii/GC backups you don't.

apachehavok

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Angola
Awesome! Will be trying this when I get home!

Another question for ya'all seeing as you are very knowledgeable. (docames!) I installed DX2-alt over dx2. Reason I did that is because it said the only disadvantage would be that you cant install a TON of VC games. I plan on installing a handful (like 5-10 maybe) so am I still in the clear?

Thanks for all the info!!

DocAmes1980

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Awesome! Will be trying this when I get home!

Another question for ya'all seeing as you are very knowledgeable. (docames!) I installed DX2-alt over dx2. Reason I did that is because it said the only disadvantage would be that you cant install a TON of VC games. I plan on installing a handful (like 5-10 maybe) so am I still in the clear?

Thanks for all the info!!

I don't know that much. I just keep tabs on the current state. At least I do now after I upgraded to 5.5.1 without really caring. I saw loadiine and the few videos I saw I think the dudes had a class 0 cause it was slow, the music was skipping, and it looked pretty sucky so I figured that was how it was and was going to stay. About a month ago I dusted off the Wii U and looked into it and was surprised that 5.5.1 had been long since exploited. I don't know much about how cIOS actually works. However, I know that that the d2x-alt version is the one that's recommended. People that know what they are talking about say you need to install a stupid amount of VC games for it to matter. I don't know what that number is and it doesn't matter anyways. You can run homebrew now. Use emulators. Download a ROMset (only of games you legally own for the purposes of obtaining the backup that you're legally entitled to). Your job is done. No rectangles all over the place. Don't you get enough of moving rectangles around on the Wii U. Can't alphabetize nothing. Oh but they know. They know you'll still buy it. So they don't care. They'd probably laugh if they could see me shuffling around those tiles. "Maybe if I put them in a folder..." I thought. "Oh good there's a settings icon. That's where it will be..." No, but I can change the color!!!

Nintendo, I hope the Switch fails. I hope it eats it so bad that finally quit making hardware. Please leave console development for companies that understand that the wisest thing to do is the simplest. Design a motherboard throw an x86 processor at it, throw additional components until it the best performance you can squeeze out of a box priced at $400. Stop making consoles that are only good for playing 1st party games. If you can't then please just become a 3rd party developer. Your games are excellent. I'll buy whatever console you make no matter how gimmicky and crippled it is. However, the majority of people won't. Why were they bringing it in to the van? You'll be at the Go Kart track in 15 mins. Do you really have to get 2.5 races in? Are you trying to justify buying the official headrest mount? All that being said, I'm going to buy the hell out of the Switch when it comes out. New Mario game after all. Zelda too eventually.

That's right... the dx2-alt cIOS thing. Just stick with it. Everyone seems to say that's what you want to go with.

Edit: Oh. I didn't see you said 5-10 VC games. Not a thing to worry about. You're totally fine. I'm totally drunk. Can't read so straight. Happy Turkey Day!

Last edited by DocAmes1980,

apachehavok

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Angola
Happy Turkey Day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for the info haha! One last question!

Ok so when you install WADS in VWii mode. Where do they get installed to? The internal wii memory?? The external HDD???

Irastris

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Happy Turkey Day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Thanks for the info haha! One last question! Ok so when you install WADS in VWii mode. Where do they get installed to? The internal wii memory?? The external HDD???
Internal memory, though if I remember correctly the 512MB of vWii memory is on a different chip then the 8GB/32GB of WiiU memory, so it doesn't take up space on the WiiU side.

apachehavok

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Angola
Internal memory, though if I remember correctly the 512MB of vWii memory is on a different chip then the 8GB/32GB of WiiU memory, so it doesn't take up space on the WiiU side.
Gotcha!! That makes sense! You can move them to the SD card through right? So now that I have the HB channel installed, I can upgrade to a larger SD card and move them to that correct?

Thanks!

Irastris

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Gotcha!! That makes sense! You can move them to the SD card through right? So now that I have the HB channel installed, I can upgrade to a larger SD card and move them to that correct?
I'm not sure. On the original Wii, moving channels installed through WADs to the SD card would always corrupt them. Maybe that's different on the Wii U though, only one way to find out.

Edizius

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
That would only work with retail discs not backup disks like the op is asking about.
Hmmm.... I thought with a mod-chip (hardware modification) your dvd-r is read like a retail disc and therefore can be ripped like a retail disc. Anyhow, I think you know what you are speaking about. So thanks for clearification.

AmandaRose

Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it’s a plan
Trophies
Website
www.rockstarnorth.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Hmmm.... I thought with a mod-chip (hardware modification) your dvd-r is read like a retail disc and therefore can be ripped like a retail disc. Anyhow, I think you know what you are speaking about. So thanks for clearification.
Yes but the op is asking about vwii and the wiiu does not have any mod chips.

apachehavok

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Angola
I'm not sure. On the original Wii, moving channels installed through WADs to the SD card would always corrupt them. Maybe that's different on the Wii U though, only one way to find out.
Yup!!!

So I moved it to the SD card and it seemed to still boot but when I went to data management and clicked SD card it just freezes :( :( Then I uninstalled the WAD trough the WAD manager and it removed the channel but it still locks when I go to data management SD card..

Any ideas??

Also, what would be the best way to install WADS if you only have 512mb of space? Heard there is an emunand?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: dragon quest 4-6