thinkingofaname

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hi folks
I got myself a N3DS black and made sure its under 9.02, probably 9.0 if the data threads are right (unopened), also got GW cards waiting for support. If I go buy a legit copy of MH4U and never go online, my firmware will not update right? Can I play MH4U normally while waiting for gateway support? Can I continue to play the game after GW support is released (like save compatible). Also assuming GW support is released, if I go online with the legit copy of MH4U I should be 99.9% safe correct?

thinkingofaname

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Thanks for the quick rely, I got one more question. I just read a thread that says I can game online (just game) even without the latest firmware with a legit copy, is that true? I don't care about any online features and stuff, just multiplayer in MH4U, can I play with others in game without updating firmware?

thinkingofaname

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Thanks a lot, I assume there won't be any difference between 9.0 or 9.2? Since both are outdated compare to 9.5 right? Welp, time to spend some money and get me some monster hunter.

Steena

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
You need the latest firmware as a byproduct of updating the game (because it requires eshop access, which always requires latest update), games themselves do not actually require the latest firmware to be played online. You can bypass going to the eshop by downloading .cia updates.

Not entirely sure how all of this functions when on a legit cart, though.

daxtsu

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
You can bypass going to the eshop by downloading .cia updates.

Not entirely sure how all of this functions when on a legit cart, though.

From what I understand, since Classic Mode doesn't let you use unsigned CIAs, the retail carts won't see your CIA update. And since you can't use retail carts in Gateway Mode, you're out of luck there too.

prototech

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
From what I understand, since Classic Mode doesn't let you use unsigned CIAs, the retail carts won't see your CIA update. And since you can't use retail carts in Gateway Mode, you're out of luck there too.

He has an N3DS though so CIA's are not an option anyway.

daxtsu

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
He has an N3DS though so CIA's are not an option anyway.

Correct, but one can just say we were discussing a hypothetical. In any case, there's not much to be done right now without updating to 9.5 or waiting for Gateway/Supercard (assuming DSTWO+ will even support the new 3ds at some stage, who knows).

Steena

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I see.
Still, once the OP has a gateway he should be able to dump his own game, and convert it as .cia
My question here is, can you extract your savefile from a gamecart and inject it back into a .cia at a later time? Because if you can't, we should tell the OP not to play the game while he waits for GW.

EDIT: I believe the 1.1 update is exclusively the early-purchase resource pack gift, so maybe it's not actually required to play online? Can anyone confirm?

Lucifer666

all the world needs is me
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom

Wrong. They are signed because they're 1:1 rips of actual eShop downloads. Software installed via .CIA work just fine in emunand classic as long as they're signed

i've updated my retail games using CIA before, works fine

daxtsu

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Wrong. They are signed because they're 1:1 rips of actual eShop downloads. Software installed via .CIA work just fine in emunand classic as long as they're signed

You are correct, but I was not wrong, if the OP had to use a situation where he was installing update CIAs that were not made from FunkyCIA.

arapozo

Trophies
XP
Country

Do you install them in Gateway Mode and then switch to Classic Mode, or just copy to the SD and install them in Classic Mode?
Is there any way for a N3DS to install the updates without going to eshop?

Kibido

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
What if I have the legit cart and want to play online on my old, already Gateway'd 3DS? What would I have to do? Thanks.

sbm888

Trophies
XP
Country
question that hasn't been really answered yet - I am on 9.0, wanting to buy Monster Hunter, I want to play online - am I able to without an update to my firmware? I want to run GW (WHEN) then release support to play my Jap games - so updating firmware is not an option.

Lucifer666

all the world needs is me
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Do you install them in Gateway Mode and then switch to Classic Mode, or just copy to the SD and install them in Classic Mode?
Is there any way for a N3DS to install the updates without going to eshop?

Yep I install them in GW mode then switch to classic

TBH I don't really understand what you meant by 'copy to the SD and install them in classic mode'. You can't install CIAs in classic mode?

thinkingofaname

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I want to say thanks for all the responses but I'm more confused than ever 0.X ! Maybe I should just list the important questions?
1. Can I play monster hunter 4U online on a retail cart without updating my N3DS to 9.5?
2. Are my save of monster hunter 4U retail cart compatible with GW once/if gateway N3DS is released? I don't care I have to dump the game myself or whatnot as long as it retain full functionality of a legit retail chart (such as online).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    I @ idonthave: :)