Hacking Quick ps2 on Ps3 phat question

viper3344

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey all!

I have a launch 60gb fully BC ps3 with the latest rebug on it.

I disabled cobra mode in the cobra toolbox to use my hardware ps2 (works when inserting an original ps2 disk and can launch from the main ps menu)

I was wondering if there is any way I can launch PS2 backup ISO's off an external drive while using the hardware BC? (I have MM installed as well)

My internal is completely filled so I would love to use an external USB.

Any advise?

THANKS!!

FR0ZN

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Cobra Mode selects the best PS2 mode for your model.

That means, running PS2 ISOs from external drives will work with the PS2 HW enabled.

Reactions: zfreeman

viper3344

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So. Expert on ps3 stuff. TOTAL noob on ps2 stuff. All I know is that when I enable cobra mode in the cobra toolbox, I cant play retail ps2 games. When its disabled it works. Also, how do you setup an external HDD for ISO play? Does it have to be fat32? A specific folder?

Thanks!

FR0ZN

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So. Expert on ps3 stuff. TOTAL noob on ps2 stuff. All I know is that when I enable cobra mode in the cobra toolbox, I cant play retail ps2 games. When its disabled it works. Also, how do you setup an external HDD for ISO play? Does it have to be fat32? A specific folder?

Thanks!

Then there is something wrong with your setup, because Cobra mode does not fuzz with retail game compatability, it even makes the PS3 region free within the PS2 mode so everything should work.

For USB HDD, I don't know if all the NTFS stuff works with PS2 ISOs, but FAT32 works and afaik you need a PS2ISO folder or something on there? multiMAN readme should give you more insight on this.

viper3344

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Then there is something wrong with your setup, because Cobra mode does not fuzz with retail game compatability, it even makes the PS3 region free within the PS2 mode so everything should work.

For USB HDD, I don't know if all the NTFS stuff works with PS2 ISOs, but FAT32 works and afaik you need a PS2ISO folder or something on there? multiMAN readme should give you more insight on this.
GOtcha. But with Cobra mode enabled, will it still use my BC hardware instead of the emulator?

viper3344

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for the reply guys!!

I just want to ensure that if Cobra mode is enabled, it will actually use BC hardware. Sounds like it does? Anyone have it documented? So the reason I cant upgrade my internal is well.. because I think I already have the max size hdd the ps3 can support and its completely full!

Anyone know what the max size HDD a ps3 can support?

THANKS!!

Also does cobra mode allow ps2 backups to be read via disk?

Last edited by viper3344,

viper3344

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes, as I said, the Cobra mode chooses the correct mode for your PS3 type.
Hey Ice

So I am still a tad confused and you seem to know what you are talking about. So with Cobra mode enabled on a BC console, will the patched Cobra emu files use the actual BC hardware? If that is the case, why would you ever need to turn it off to use the original emu files? Also do I need to use the FULL toolbox or does the patched Cobra PS2 files in the regular install contain all the data it needs to run hardware emulation rather then software?

Thanks for any help!

FR0ZN

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is the htird time you are asking me this ... yes it will use the PS2 HW inside your PS3 if it has it installed !

Allow me to refer you to the official Rebug homepage where every single feature of the CFW incl. the Cobra Mode is broken down to the tiniest bit of information: https://rebug.me/official-rebug-4-81-2-cobra-7-5-toolbox-2-02-12-jan-10th-2017/

I'd recommend that you read the entire thing 3 times and take a closer look at "Cobra 7.5 overview", here you can read something like this:

PlayStation 2 on BC and Semi-BC Consoles
Hardware (
HW) Emulation:
PS3 Models: CECHA, CECHB, CECHC and CECHE Backwards Compatible (BC) Consoles
will still use their respetive emulators(ps2_emu, ps2_gxemu), which have much better compatibility and also support optical discs, original or backup.

Looking at this textblock you might also notice, that it says this right here:

However, there is NO SUPPORT for Optical Discs in PS2_NETEMU.

Which looks like, you have been forcing the netemu to be used - read the page to identify how to disable this behaviour.

You will also find information where the PS2 ISOs need to be stored etc. ... basically all your questions are answered there.

Please only come back when you realy bump into problems which are not mentioned there on this page.

viper3344

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is the htird time you are asking me this ... yes it will use the PS2 HW inside your PS3 if it has it installed !

Allow me to refer you to the official Rebug homepage where every single feature of the CFW incl. the Cobra Mode is broken down to the tiniest bit of information: https://rebug.me/official-rebug-4-81-2-cobra-7-5-toolbox-2-02-12-jan-10th-2017/

I'd recommend that you read the entire thing 3 times and take a closer look at "Cobra 7.5 overview", here you can read something like this:

Looking at this textblock you might also notice, that it says this right here:

Which looks like, you have been forcing the netemu to be used - read the page to identify how to disable this behaviour.

You will also find information where the PS2 ISOs need to be stored etc. ... basically all your questions are answered there.

Please only come back when you realy bump into problems which are not mentioned there on this page.

That is WHERE Its confusing.

So it states RIGHT there that:
PS3 Models: CECHA, CECHB, CECHC and CECHE Backwards Compatible (BC) Consoles will still use their respetive emulators(ps2_emu, ps2_gxemu)

All I am asking is that if ps2_emu which I guess it will use by default is a patched version of the original allowing backups. WHY this is confusing is due to the fact that in order to revert to the retail ps2_emu, you need to install the FULL rebug toolkit which is a few hundred megs more. I just wanted some clarification on the wording. Thanks for the info!

I will check it out and report back tonight. Now for my last question. To ensure its using the BC ps2 hardware in my unit, is there a game that only runs on full BC hardware that I can test to ensure its working?

Thanks ICE!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: Firefox users be like "look at what they have to do to mimic a fraction of our power."