Quick! Android vs. iPad..

zeello

The reason we can't have nice things.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a question about iPad. I remember that when it first launched, supposedly to begin using a new iPad you first had to activate it by connecting it to a PC or Mac. (unless you got 3G version in which case you were instead required to sign up to 3G.)

My questions are:
1) Is this still true of the iPad?
2) Is this true of Android tablets?

and let me know what else I should consider when choosing between the two.
I have a Nexus 7 2012 which I think is good, but the screen is smaller than iPad. So hypothetically if someone wanted to get an iPad, rather than suggesting a Nexus 7 2013, I would suggest a Nexus 10, right?

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
Android has never needed to connect to a PC to activate it.

Apple has stopped using the "Connect to PC" method as well, now you just have to connect to Wifi and login/create an Apple ID.

If someone wanted a 10" tablet, then I would recommend the Nexus 10 over a majority of iPads simply because it's cheaper, has better customization options, and (IIRC) better hardware as well.

Reactions: zeello

zeello

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm glad Apple got rid of the connect to PC step...

That puts iPad and Android on equal footing in any case. But I just today realized that iPad might be better to go with because of Game Center, considering it's for my dad, and he played a lot of online bridge on PC. Does this make sense?

Super.Nova

Trophies
XP
Country
Saudi Arabia
It's hard to sum why Android is better than iOS but it sure is easy to choose.
As for a good option, a Nexus 10 is the best you could choose for someone who's not gonna spend time tinkering with the system.

As for gaming, Android has its gaming hub, too, to save and sync data over multiple devices.
It's true not all applications/games support this but a great if not all number of social games do.

zeello

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's hard to sum why Android is better than iOS but it sure is easy to choose.
wait wait... so you're saying Android is straight up better?

I'm taking last calls, everyone! This could happen soon. My mom asked me to get an iPad for my dad, I was gonna politely suggest Android instead but I currently no longer see a reason to.

iPad
+ Game Center
+ bigger screen due to 4:3
+ getting Android would require my intervening in the purchase decision
+ Apple store is closer. Well, that is a really dumb reason so it doesn't count, but still.. x)

Android
+ better UI (imo) ... am I right? The three buttons on the bottom. I like that. It seems, at least to me, more user-friendly for someone who has never used either platform before.
+ Nexus 10 seems easier to hold (wider bezel) than iPad Air.

I can't imagine why cost would be an issue, but I can check to make sure.
I also need to ask who's idea was it to get the iPad, whether it even has to be iPad as opposed to Android, and whether they had any particular apps in mind.
There's also the issue of choosing a model, but I think it is in the bag, Nexus 10. Ironically I am less sure of which iPad model to get: iPad Air or iPad 2... but I'm guessing Air because again, I don't presume cost to be an issue, and because I remember reading on a tech site (how trustworthy!) warning that iPad 2 at 400 is overpriced, and soon to be obsolete.

Does Nexus 10 have a rubber underside like the Nexus 7? That is a nice thing about it.
The iPad's underside is cold and unforgiving.:O

edit: Wow, the iPad 2 is wider than the iPad Air. So the iPad 2 seems like it would be easier to hold!

Crimson Ghoul

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I work retail and I tell my customers to stick with what they have if they buy a lot of software. I've been on android since the g1 era and I have over $250 in apps. I know apple has a bit of exclusive content and tons of games that may never see the light of day on android. I usually recommend the Asus transformer line when it comes to android tabs larger than 8 inches. I currently use a nexus 7 (2013) and am waiting on what the nexus 10 (2014) model brings. If you tend to download your video from sources other than itunes android has better compatibility like the samsung line supports .mkv files right out of the box.

raulpica

With your drill, thrust to the sky!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
If you're huge on mobile gaming, iOS has a lot of exclusives which Android hasn't got (which makes me sad, as I've switched to Android).

Also if you're not the guy who likes to spend 3 hours a week on downloading new stuff to his tablet to tweak the performance a little, or use a new fancy-schmancy clock every two days, go with iOS. It's easier to use, and less things can go wrong.

About the performance thing, the GPU in the iPad Retina blows the one in the Nexus 5 out of the water, and Apple's custom ARM CPUs are some of the best ARM CPUs around.

The iPad Retina is probably lighter and slimmer than the Nexus 10 is... soooo, huh, really no reason to go with a Nexus 10, except if you somehow hate Apple or particularly like Android.

osirisjem

I miss the Wii remotes
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Not sure if it is still true, but 2 years ago I bought the iPad because it had the "best screen".
I also found the android tablets were a bit laggy in response to my finger.
I would get an iPad if your mom or dad has a iphone.

yuyuyup

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
iOS has the lions share of apps (probably the most crucial factor,) but very consumer unfriendly regarding battery replacement (DIY is not an option for average user.) Android is far cheaper and functional

Fishaman P

Speedrunner
Trophies
Website
twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
iPad
+ Game Center
+ bigger screen due to 4:3
+ getting Android would require my intervening in the purchase decision
+ Apple store is closer. (although this is an incredibly lazy reason)
I fail to see how Game Center is a pro. Please explain.

Same thing goes for 4:3. All content nowadays is produced for 16:9 or 21:9 (video) or 16:10 (web). 4:3 was obsoleted 10 years ago.
Besides, who cares if the screen is physically larger? If the screen is 7" or bigger, resolution is really the only major factor in readability. The Nexus 10 has a higher resolution, not to mention a Gorilla Glass screen, which took me 9 months to even nick on my phone.

As a final argument for Android, I would definitely say it's more intuitive. One example is highlighting text. On Android, it works the same as on a PC; you hold your finger down at the start and drag to the end. This took me all of 30 seconds to learn. On iOS, you have to use two fingers and touch the start and end at the same time. Not only is this impractical for large selections, but it took me a good 10 minutes to figure this out.

zeello

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I work retail and I tell my customers to stick with what they have if they buy a lot of software. I've been on android since the g1 era and I have over $250 in apps. I know apple has a bit of exclusive content and tons of games that may never see the light of day on android. I usually recommend the Asus transformer line when it comes to android tabs larger than 8 inches. I currently use a nexus 7 (2013) and am waiting on what the nexus 10 (2014) model brings. If you tend to download your video from sources other than itunes android has better compatibility like the samsung line supports .mkv files right out of the box.
Almost forgot about Asus Transformer. It looks like simply a tablet with an optional keyboard, is that true? Because that seems like a huge advantage. I don't know what the tablet will be used for most, but how can you possibly go wrong with giving someone the ability to type!

Then again, this could backfire. The user might always end up defaulting to having the keyboard almost always attached, or almost never attached. (similar to problem with WiiU's off-TV play, if I may say so.)

Also, my parents clearly rejected the idea of getting a laptop, so the Asus Transformer is arguably the thing they don't want. On the other hand, this means they actually considered getting a laptop, so the Asus Transformer might be the perfect solution.

I fail to see how Game Center is a pro. Please explain.
Game Center = more games with online play.
By all means tell me where my logic is wrong.

As a final argument for Android, I would definitely say it's more intuitive. One example is highlighting text. On Android, it works the same as on a PC; you hold your finger down at the start and drag to the end. This took me all of 30 seconds to learn. On iOS, you have to use two fingers and touch the start and end at the same time. Not only is this impractical for large selections, but it took me a good 10 minutes to figure this out.
I've been using Android for like a month but I still didn't know what you said about highlighting text. On top of that there are things about typing on Android that I still don't understand or which frustrate me. (like why, as I'm deleting a sentence, the backspace key suddenly stops working, permanently, until I move the cursor someplace else) (or why every now and then it randomly cuts/copies a previous part of my post into my current sentence)

raulpica

Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
iOS has the lions share of apps (probably the most crucial factor,) but very consumer unfriendly regarding battery replacement (DIY is not an option for average user.) Android is far cheaper and functional
I know a lot of people with iPhones and not a single one had an issue with the battery.

Oh yeah, a guy did actually. His iPhone 3G (2008!!!) was lasting only 2 hours.

cracker

Nyah!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have an iPod Touch that I stopped using outright after I got Android devices just because it is so consumer-based. Android gives users a lot more freedom to choose what they want to do with their files with built-in and 3rd party apps. It is much easier to manage your storage like you would on a computer. iDevices are very restrictive in what you can do in this area which can be a plus or minus in the right/wrong hands. By default most Android devices don't allow screwing with system files so it isn't really too risky to not live in a sandbox.

Transferring files is much easier with Android devices as long as you know the basics of files and folders without the need of a bloated media player/ripper/converter/online store app that can take an obscenely long time to transfer things over because of its love to update everything.

The lack of a microSD kills expandability. iDevices have never offered this while most Android devices do.

3rd party homebrew app support is allowed by default on most Android devices without rooting/jailbreaking while there isn't any such thing for iDevices. This can be viewed as a possible minus but with common sense it isn't too risky.

raulpica

Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
My girlfriend's iPhone 5 dies within half a day and is only half a year old.
It all depends on usage. If I use my Nexus 5 massively, the battery goes down in 5-6 hours. If I don't, it lasts 1 day and half.

If she's playing or using 3G/4G all the time, you can expect massive battery drainage. It's pretty much normal, the battery technology isn't really advancing, while CPU/GPUs are.

zeello

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm so dumb... instead of Asus Transformer couldn't I just get a keyboard dock for iPad? They make those, right?

Piece of cake!

cracker

Nyah!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That is true that it is somewhat situational. Tweaking settings can help a lot in this area (possible +1 for Android). Ultimately, a replacement high mAh battery is necessary for the best experience. I like to mess with her a lot by telling her how long my S3 has been unplugged for. I got a ZeroLemon battery for it and have gotten up to 4 days and some hours with normal use. :D

Reactions: Coto

Crimson Ghoul

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Almost forgot about Asus Transformer. It looks like simply a tablet with an optional keyboard, is that true? Because that seems like a huge advantage. I don't know what the tablet will be used for most, but how can you possibly go wrong with giving someone the ability to type!

Then again, this could backfire. The user might always end up defaulting to having the keyboard almost always attached, or almost never attached. (similar to problem with WiiU's off-TV play, if I may say so.)

Also, my parents clearly rejected the idea of getting a laptop, so the Asus Transformer is arguably the thing they don't want. On the other hand, this means they actually considered getting a laptop, so the Asus Transformer might be the perfect solution.

Game Center = more games with online play.
By all means tell me where my logic is wrong.

I've been using Android for like a month but I still didn't know what you said about highlighting text. On top of that there are things about typing on Android that I still don't understand or which frustrate me. (like why, as I'm deleting a sentence, the backspace key suddenly stops working, permanently, until I move the cursor someplace else) (or why every now and then it randomly cuts/copies a previous part of my post into my current sentence)

They usually put in the latest processors but don't bloat the software the way Samsung does with their devices.

Heien

Trophies
XP
Country
Depends on what you are going to use it for. iOS has some exclusive games such as SW:KOTOR one of my favourite games, but my nexus 10 is an emulation beast. With an OTG cable and a wireless gamepad and voila! Now you have a mobile emulation center. For me playing psx/psp/gba etc. games more important than several exclusive games and you should ask yourself, what do you want more.

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
Seeing how this is for your father whom (I can only assume) isn't going to be doing much emulation or tweaking or anything in-depth like that, might as well go with an iPad. It's more user friendly, has a good selection of apps all in one place that's easy to navigate to, and just does whatever someone needs it to out of the box. The iPad Air has the better resolution/ppi VS the iPad 2, as well as better hardware that has a similar battery life to the iPad 2. It is a bit more expensive ($100 more than the iPad 2/Nexus 10), but would probably end up being a better bargain at the bottom line.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Veho @ Veho:
    The fuuuuu---
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I thought it was an actual xBox at that price.
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I wanna grab a 360 Slim and a 360 E one of these days. Missed the boat of getting them at their lowest though, once they were discontinued. Could've got them for cheap back when I was a broke 20 something working at Target, but then again, I was a broke 20 something working at Target
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Being broke is no fun.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @Sicklyboy, $150 isn't that bad for a jtag slim on ebay
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I only wish it was actually playable.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    There's a guy on the Tube of You that makes playable mechanical arcade games out of Lego. This could work on the same principle.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Just a couple of guys taking their manatee out for some fresh air, why you have to molest them?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Stupid Chinese shop switched their shipping company and this one is slooooooow.
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    STOP BUYING CHINESE CRAP THEN
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    SUPPORT LOCAL PRODUCTS, MAKE REVOLUTION
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THEY KEEP REMOVING LOCAL SHIt AND REPLACING WItH INFERIOR CHINESE CRAP
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THATS WHY MY PARTNER CANT GET A GOOTWEAR HIS SIZE ANYMORE
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    HE HAS BIG FOOT AND BIG DUCK
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    d*ck i mean*
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Mkay.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I just ordered another package from China just to spite you.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Communism lol
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    OUR products
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @LeoTCK actually good quality products are dying out because they can't compete with dropshipped chinese crap
    +1
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: @LeoTCK actually good quality products are dying out because they can't compete with dropshipped... +1