Hardware Questions and ideas (by a noob) regarding Streetpass

DaniPoo

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Hi! So I've been trying to get homepass to work properly but I still cant get any streetpasses.
I dont know if this is because there is no one to comunicate with or whats the problem.
The Nintendo Zone app does appear on my homescreen. But whatever...

Not my questions are as following:
How exactly does streetpass and the Nintendo zone work?
What kind of data files are we uploading dowloading when we streetpass?

for the fun part, could I (hypothetically) manually extract this data from one 3DS and inject it into another 3DS if someone wrote a homebrew tool to do this?

If these things was possible, I imagine that setting up a database server were people upload and download these files would not be that farfetched and could be made very simple by just having a homebrew application that first uploads and downloads/installs.

Then again it might be much more complicated.

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Hi! So I've been trying to get homepass to work properly but I still cant get any streetpasses.
I dont know if this is because there is no one to comunicate with or whats the problem.
The Nintendo Zone app does appear on my homescreen. But whatever...

Not my questions are as following:
How exactly does streetpass and the Nintendo zone work?

Direct streetpass: Console tries to connect to a network called "Nintendo 3DS continuous scan 000" or something (which generates activity -- for this exact reason a hidden SSID is so only as long as nobody is connecting in that instant), then it starts searching, then pings again...
When two consoles manage to see each other this way (and they haven't done so in the last 8 hours), they start exchanging streetpasses!
If you're connected to a network, Streetpassing competes with Spotpassing (and that's only in standby mode), that's why it takes a lot more time to connect to friends that are visiting your home!

Through NZ: Console uploads the "outbox" of all streetpass-enabled apps, plus SSID and MAC of access point, to Nintendo server.
Server replies with (usually) the uploads of the last 6 consoles who did exactly that.
(Postbox/Swapnote are explicitly blacklisted, as so are 2 other games I don't remember)
(Unless a "streetpass event" is ongoing and the server deliberately mixes up the data sources, you only interact with previous users of that specific SSID+MAC, that's most likely why your homepass is "not working" -- it is, but only you have ever connected to that Zone)!!
Note that you can't streetpass with yourself, so if you were to find an abandoned McDonalds and be the last one to visit it, you would get 6-5-4-3-2-1-0 streetpasses as you become a higher percentage of the "last 6 users"

What kind of data files are we uploading dowloading when we streetpass?
for the fun part, could I (hypothetically) manually extract this data from one 3DS and inject it into another 3DS if someone wrote a homebrew tool to do this?

As you probably guessed by my description, there is an "outbox" that's given to other person's "inboxes", themselves having a finite capacity of "slots" (the number of streetpasses you see in system notifications) and also of bytes.

You can backup and restore "boxes" (one of the 12 slots in streetpass management, associated with a specific app, made of 1 outbox and a number of 1-99 inboxes) with the dev tool CecLotTool, which can also reset (by pressing start) the 8 hour timer!

That would probably be the first step to creating some 3rd party streetpass infrastructure.

Good Luck!!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Find the studio rips, like a few GBs per song lol
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @Psionic Roshambo, game boys per song?
    I used to have a few of those with Direct Sound on XP and Audigy Platinum sound card with high end speakers was a glorious time for audio
    Lol no Gigabytes per song
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Some websites have full studio rips of production kind of hard to find for obvious reasons
    +1
    Not sure current audio codec based sound built in to motherboards can handle the bit depth those used
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @Psionic Roshambo, I just use mp3 files of the best quality i can find
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I say fuck it and open Spotify 80% of your musics already on it probably
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    or just put in on yt
    Xdqwerty for most people hearing anything better than 256Kbps MP3 they cannot tell the difference
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    play the songs video
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Audiophiles mjs second allegation
    Pedo Audio what ever MJ was into he lost a glove
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Mjs glove fit
    Billies Jeans did not
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Mj you are the father