Hacking Questions about CFW

Cecilmax

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hello,

I just read many threads about jailbreaking my ps3 but there is still some unanswered questions :)

1. I understood I need a ps3 with OFW 3.55 to install any cfw I wish, correct ?

2. Once I have installed a CFW, can I play any ISO of PS3, PS2 and PSOne games ? Or if I need a specific PS3 Model to play PS2 and PSOne games ? Do I Need an emulator or its just straight forward ?

3. If I have a PSOne game as bin format. What is the difference between having the game as iso (or bin) on ps3 on internal/external hdd and installing the game as a PKG ? (I found a tool that can convert any bin to PKG)

4. What is the advantage/benefits having a cfw DEX or REX ? I am confuse.

5. Finally, I just want a CFW that I can play all PSOne, PS2 and PS3 games. Do you recommend me any specific CFW for that ? I dont plan to play multiplayer online or going on PSN. I just want to build a machine that I will store all my games in one place.

Thanks for all your help :)

Loke

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
1. yes
2. yes (might need a placeholder(for psp or ps2), but you can just install it as pgk)
3. PKG installs on hard disk, while the iso can be ran from external.
4. Afaik you always start with a CEX (REX for rebug) firmware. You can convert to DEX (developer unit) with rebug. I think it has more options (but not sure as i haven't used it)
5. Most people advice to take rebug. I use habib (habib is gone for a few months so there are no more updates) since rebug wasn't out at the time for the firmware i wanted. Just be sure to enable cobra, and you will be able to play all the games. Just go with rebug, everyone loves it.

Oh ye and enable QA before upgrading.

CheeseCake

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
1. Absolutely, no exceptions
2. PS3 and PS1 games can be run by dragging to appropriate location. PS2 needs placeholder or COBRA CFW.
3. I don't think PS3 can recognize BINs on external USB, better to do ISO to be sure. PKGs will install on internal HDD
4. CEX/REX is commercial console. DEX/D-REX is developer's console, which has some neat DEBUG mode stuff you probably won't use.
5. Like guy above me said, get REBUG. It is the most stable CFW, tested thoroughly by the developers to avoid certain bricks if used correctly. REBUG also uses COBRA, which allows you to run PS2 ISOs on internal HDD without conversion.

Cecilmax

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Thanks a lot guys for you help, very appreciated.

I read somewhere for PS2 and PS1, we have to convert it into "classic" ones. If I understand right, we don't have to do that with Rebug and Cobra ?

I just take a look on the rebug website and I am a bit confused about the use of Cobra. We need to switch into a specific mode each time we like to play ps2 games ? So we need to switch back into another "normal" mode to play ps1 and ps3 games ?

It is possible to only have one mode and just choose whatever games we like to play ? ps1, ps2 and ps3 ? :)

I found a tool that can install pkg into external hdd or we can just choose to install on internal hdd. In that case, there is a difference between a game in iso and pkg format ?

Cecilmax

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hello guys,

Just one more question. What is QA toggle and why/when I use it ? It is automatic or manual ?

Thanks for your help :)

CheeseCake

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
QA toggle is a homebrew program that reduces the chances of bricks when switching from different CFW builds.
It also allows you to Update Down to lower firmware if wanted.

That is assuming you're using a functional CFW UPDAT.PUP

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    S @ salazarcosplay: How are you @AncientBoi :tpi: :tpi: :tpi: :tpi: :tpi: