[Question] Whats the point of redNAND?

Discussion in 'Wii U - Games & Content' started by simon66, Dec 14, 2016.

Dec 14, 2016
  1. simon66
    OP

Newcomer simon66 Member

Canada
    I'm just wondering, whats the point of redNAND?
    I can install games straight to the home menu (Brazilian method) and if I need to boot into HBL, I can go to loadiine and thats it (Or via Haxchi).

From what I've been reading, if I update redNAND, thats a brick, if I format it, thats also a brick. So I'm not really sure whats the point of it.

Thanks!

2. xtheman166

Member xtheman166 *Insert custom title here*

United States
    It is really useful for testing things that might brick your wii u's sysnand. Also if you install a very corrupt file you can unbrick rednand but not sysnand

3. simon66
    OP

Newcomer simon66 Member

Canada
    But if I have a copy of my NAND, I can recover sysNAND. Idk, I feel like redNAND is not useful for me yet lol. I mean, it takes up 32gb lol. Thats a lot.

Last edited by simon66, Dec 14, 2016
  4. xtheman166

Member xtheman166 *Insert custom title here*

United States
    If you have a white wii u it only takes 8 gb.
    Also not many people hardmod sysnand for you.

5. retrofan_k

Member retrofan_k GBAtemp Maniac

United Kingdom
    There is no way to write the nand back to the system, even with a hard mod, I don't think.

6. ItsKipz

Member ItsKipz l33t hax0r

United States
    Also, rednand + CBHC + Mocha's SEEPROM Redirection allows you to boot into an "emuNAND" which can be on the newest FW, but you still have the core system on 5.5.1 keeping all the hax you need!

simon66 likes this.
  7. ddurdle

Member ddurdle GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    Yes, should work fine, but simply untested since there hasn't been an update to validate.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

I didn't realize there was no way to hardmod a system

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

Agreed. Primary reason right now.

8. Opoth

Newcomer Opoth Member

If you don't feel like living dangerously, you don't really need RedNAND. I'm more of the type to let things sort themselves out in the community with trial and error for a few weeks to assess the risks before jumping in.

Followed the FAQs, unplugged my USB and finally installed Haxchi and then CBHC just today and it's working great.

Last edited by Opoth, Dec 20, 2016
  9. KiraW

Newcomer KiraW Member

United Kingdom
    One thing I will point out about redNAND - since it also dumps the SLCCMPT (and not just the SLC and MLC), it means that you have a protection against full-bricking the vWii, if a homebrew becomes available later that allows you to unbrick your vWii by restoring the SLCCMPT.

Anybody who's used redNAND up to this point (as long as the dump was taken before the vWii bricked) has an SLCCMPT dump that could be used for unbricking their vWii, but nobody's written the homebrew for that to happen yet. I'm personally looking into it but can't promise anything, so please don't ask me how things are going; it's low-priority for me as I don't have the experience I'd need to write it yet. It could take me quite some time.

Last edited by KiraW, Dec 27, 2016
  10. simon66
    OP

Newcomer simon66 Member

Canada
    Oh also, I forgot to add. As of now, vWii doesn't work with redNAND. I don't see any benefits of having redNAND yet. Plus Haxchi now changes the firmware version of the system to 99.99.99 so that the system wont update itself.

11. C0mm4nd_

Member C0mm4nd_ GBATemp Fan

Italy
    There is a way lol... Just pick modded/modified files that brick and replace them with FTPiiU