Gaming [Question/Sugestion] Play games that only have Local MP online

Guiaki

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I was wondering, games like Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate that only have the option to play in Local network on 3DS, you can play online using Wii U, but for those who don't have wii u and would like to play online...

The one thing I was wondering about:
What if you share PC network (in windows lets say, the option to share under network options), that will make the "sub"-network shared to have sub ip addresses, but connected to the "main" network, your PC. And in your PC you connect to a software such as Hamachi, which will make a virtual LAN, such as making your sub shared connections also connected to that LAN, and both you and your friend who want to play, use this way, and be conected to the same hamachi network, it would allow you to play together as if you were in the same LAN, but over the internet.

I haven't tried it yet because my 3DS didn't arrived, but if someone would consider doing this please say something about it :P

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I am not sure if you are discussing either what is known as tunneling (take the data captured from the would be local network and rebroadcasting it from some other access point elsewhere -- in your case after a VPN into a friend's house) or faking the Wii U's presence/existence using a PC.

Naturally both are options, to my knowledge neither has been achieved yet and there are various (good) reasons why that might be. However it might also be that nobody bothered to try.

For the first it might be that the 3ds does use a full wifi protocol in its local communications (the DS certainly did not) which makes capturing it and rebroadcasting it an effort and one not suited to many network cards (why you did not see a DS version of this).
The Wii U stuff is an interesting twist on the idea and not one really seen before in these circles, it might be that it has a wifi card and setup capable of doing the above (maybe with a bit of matchmaking) and that is all it does. It might also be that it acts as a quasi local server doing all sorts of things to make up for the differences between local play and play when ping gets involved (sending data around the internet is trivial, dealing with latency is considerably more bothersome and dealing with it on cheap embedded hardware like the 3ds is even worse).

If the Wii U is just acting as a 3ds capture unit and transmission then you have also answered the first question and you just need to either replicate the Wii U setup or take a level lower and figure out how to capture and replay the relevant packets.

If the WIi U is acting as a proper processing station then my advice is give up now -- you are going to have to figure out all sorts of things and with the Wii U as yet unhacked that is not going to be easy. You might get lucky and it just does an unencrypted handshake protocol and then jumps to it but I would not bet too much on that outcome.

Guiaki

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Hmm, thats a very nice point you have sayid there Fast6191, about the latency itself, its very likely for the game to be programmed in a way to do not worry about the ping over the web, I was just thinking on a way to play it online but still haven't really got into one so far haha, gotta study more about it, but first i'll wait till my 3ds arrives hehe, thanks!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: