Hacking Homebrew Question regarding TA-082 PSPs

m3csl

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I'm considering buying a PSP online and would like to avoid the PSPs with TA-082 motherboards. I'm not very knowledgeable regarding PSPs, but I believe the only way to check if the PSP has a TA-082 board is to physically inspect the PSP for the TA-082 tag, correct?

If I'm purchasing online, is there a way to make sure the PSP I order is not a TA-082, so it can be downgraded?

Any help is much appreciated. Thanks.

tama_mog

Kupo
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
only way is looking inside the bay door to check for the IC0003 on the right hand side (a component that's only visible there on the ta-082 models). When you're purchasing online, there is no way to tell because you cannot tell from the letter on the side of the box beside the barcode as well. There are other means to check like 0okm's programs that checks for ta-082 psps but you would need to run that on the psp to start with.....it's up to the seller if he wants to go through that trouble to check the door or run the program for you.

m3csl

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Thanks tama_mog for the quick reply.

Yeah, that's what I thought.

Now, let me ask you this: are TA-082 PSPs common? Are the newer PSPs the ones that have the TA-082 motherboards because it is an attempt by Sony to curb the homebrew scene, much like the firmware updates?

I'm not quite sure why some of the PSPs run TA-082 PSP boards, and would like to know more information, and how likely newly-bought PSPs these days run these boards.

tama_mog

Kupo
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
The new PSPs these days (especially letter I and up on the barcode description) are all ta-082 boards. So yes they are very common, I bought a white psp in Japan about 4 months ago and it was already a ta-082 and I'm sure all over akihabara and everywhere else is completely ta-082. Your best bet @ finding something downgradable would be shopping around stores where they don't move a lot of psp and still may find one with the letter H and before and it should be a non ta-082....but like I said there is no guarantee as you cannot tell by the letter. I do know my ta-082 was letter I and came with 2.6 firmware. But I did buy another white one with letter H that came with 2.5 firmware that was a non ta-082 that I downgraded.....but I repeat, there is no sure way of telling on the newer models except looking in the bay door. Good luck man.

m3csl

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hmm, all right then. I guess I'll scrap the idea of ordering online. I'll see if I'm able to find a non-TA-082 PSP here where I live. Otherwise, I'll see if I can get one later in HK or Japan or something.

Thanks for all your help.

sub7ime

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I guess the older the firmware, the bigger the chance to get a non TA-082.

From what I read, the TA-082 isn't very widespread in Europe. But there is like a 95% chance to get on in the US...

m3csl

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Yeah, I've been looking to try and get 2.0 firmware PSPs online (Ceramic White), but it's been difficult to find them from "safe" buyers.
And when the outlet seems pretty reliable, it's difficult to confirm whether the PSP is a non-TA-082 PSP.

But I plan on visiting some stores in my area to see if they're available, just that if something great pops-up online, there's no reason not to check it out as well.

tama_mog

Kupo
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
or you can just be patient....@ this rate, I'm sure it'll be sooner or later they find a way to downgrade a ta-082. 00km claims he can already do it through a lengthy method and there are rumors there are hardware involved methods of downgrading overseas in Asia.

m3csl

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Yeah, with these types of things, there's always the guy who'll eventually crack the code (much like with all the increasing firmwares). But, if you can get non TA-082, then why not? Right? Better safe than sorry!
smile.gif

tama_mog

Kupo
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
True you just have to pay a premium for it....I'll let you know if I decide to sell one of my 1.5's, got a black and white one. And currently selling my white ta-082 from japan.

m3csl

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Yeah, it'll cost a little more, but it's worth it, I believe.

Thanks, let me know.

I'll have a look myself next week, and if not, I'll look for one in HK or Japan when I go there later this year.

tama_mog

Kupo
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Don't know about HK, when I was in Japan I was looking for a downgradeable psp, but @ the time only mph 2.0 downgrader was out and I searched high and low throughout tokyo....could not find one white one. I did manage to find a used one @ a Bookoff store in Shin Kawasaki but didn't want it because it was black. Just decided to buy a white one and wait for a downgrader.....little did I know about ta-082s @ that time of course. You're not going to find one in the metropolitan areas of Japan, I can guarantee you that. That's why Yahoo Auctions have them still for ridiculous prices for Japanese people.

m3csl

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Wow, really? I had no idea it was that difficult to find even overseas (well, at least in Japan).

Hopefully I'll be able to find one eventually!

ShadowXP

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
All brand new PSPs these days will come with a TA-082. You're better off finding a second hand console in store and inspecting it there.

kernelPANIC

Trophies
Website
www.kanjiswipe.com
XP
Country
Japan
I got mine in Hong Kong but after a butt-load of checking to see if they had the friggin' TA-082. Some boxes had the letter K in the box (meaning they were firmware 2.7 or above) and since at the time, there was only a downgrader for up to 2.6 I only checked PSPs with the letter I on the box. I checked around 10 PSPs in 10 different stores. Well, they ALL had the damn TA-082 board.
It was when all the stores were about to close that I gave up on getting one, but my sister wanted one as well and didn't care about homebrew or loading ISOs. The clerk offered to upgrade the firmware to 2.71, which was the latest at the time, I said "no thanks, I'd rather have 1.5 instead". Then he replied "Oh, we have some of those too. They are brand new. We just opened the box to do the downgrade ourselves".
Apparently other stores did that as well. You just had to ask. (I got mine in Nathan road, Hong Kong, near the electronic district).
PSP Value Pack with 1.5 for 1800 Hong Kong dollars (roughly 180 Euros).

EDIT: Forgot to add. Those 1800 HK$ were for an already downgraded PSP. The regular value pack, black or white was 1600HK$. Basically they charged you 200HK$ (around 20 Euros) for the downgrade. Considering how hard it was for me to find a non-IC1003 (TA-082) board, and that I've heard something might go wrong during the downgrading process, I was not willing to pay 160 Euros for something I could brick 2 days later.

m3csl

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Yeah, definitely. I'm just planning to ask them straight-up for non TA-082 White PSPs, so that it can be downgraded. It shouldn't be a problem, but just might cost a lot.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: https://gbatemp.net/profile-posts/163064/