Homebrew Question: NTSC filters on Wii in a old CRT TV

soniccomcisbr

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
My Wii is on a old (mono) Philips TV.Normally I turn on the Blarg NTSC on retroarch(Nestopia) and Genesis + GX, but that filter is not on Snes emulators (retroarch core and Snes9xGx). I just read that some games like Chrono Trigger are made with these effects in mind, so: "Chrono Trigger, with shifted values that make blacks look brown and borders look purple, which would be output properly with NTSC colors." My Question is, even in an Old CRT, I will lost these effects using these emulators who dont have the NTSC filter?

tbb043

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You're already playing on a CRT? Then you don't need a filter. Those are to try and get modern TV's to render games into something resembling what they'd look like on a TV you'd have played them on when they came out (with varying results).

I don't know about retroarch, but SNES9xGX will even output games in 240p, so long as you're running it on an actual Wii and not a WiiU. If you get that set up, games should look fine on your old TV.

Reactions: soniccomcisbr

soniccomcisbr

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
You're already playing on a CRT? Then you don't need a filter. Those are to try and get modern TV's to render games into something resembling what they'd look like on a TV you'd have played them on when they came out (with varying results).

I don't know about retroarch, but SNES9xGX will even output games in 240p, so long as you're running it on an actual Wii and not a WiiU. If you get that set up, games should look fine on your old TV.

That's what I suspected. Anyway I like to turn on this filter on Genesis and Nes emulators to get the composite "low quality" effect, because is near to the way i played in the past XD . But is Good to know i will not lost anything in Snes

soniccomcisbr

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Here my Good Old TV for Wii XD
10351900_711371522300883_4802577437620103419_n[1].jpg

zerofalcon

Trophies
XP
Country
The most "accurate" setting, very very close to original (I made side by side comparisons with a real SNES) it's by turning on bilinear filtering, while using the original resolution (512x224) on a CRT TV, this, of course emulating it with Snes9x Next on Retroarch.

Reactions: soniccomcisbr

Lumstar

Princess
Trophies
Website
eonhack.blogspot.com
XP
Country
United States
Yeah a good baseline if you want to be faithful, is identifying the best output from unmodified official hardware. Then make adjustments as desired.

In that sense NES games looking cleaner than Famicom Titler s-video should be "wrong", for instance. (I know it's Japan-only but most NES games were designed/created there)

D

Deleted User

I play on CRT too, I use genplus-gx and retroarch. Is funny because I started to do the same thing as you when I read this from the genplus doc:

https://genplus-gx.googlecode.com/svn/docs/genplus_manual.doc
"VI Trap Filter let you enable/disable Video Encoder output filtering. This filter is usually implemented on modern consoles to improve color separation in the “low quality” Composite Video signal and therefore might not have any effect when using S-VIDEO, RGB or Component cables.On older consoles like the Genesis, this property of composite video was used by game developers to create additional “fake” colors on screen and various effects (shade, transparency). By disabling the filter, you can somehow recreate these effects as they were intended to be displayed (but still not exactly since the Wii still outputs a cleaner video signal than your old Genesis).

This option is only available on Wii."

"NTSC Filter let you enable/disable NTSC software filtering. This filter emulates the native artifacts produced by the NTSC Video Signal (color blending…). Some games indeed use this effect to simulate additional colors or transparency effects. Please note that this filter is very CPU consuming. Several predefined modes are available (COMPOSITE, S-VIDEO & RGB) which simulates a specific video signal type."

The only one I found for snes is the VI trap filter on retroarch. I suppose it will be impossible to get the same effect for snes if retroarch don't inplement the same composite filter for snes, since as mentioned above, the wii still outputs a cleaner video than the snes or genesis as I understand, using composite cables or not.

I would love if I can get the same filter for the snes core on retroarch, but it says that is very cpu consuming, so I don't know how that would affect snes games on retroarch, so yeah, to get that retro-feeling, you need to "force" worse composite quality with the filter.

So the only thing we can do, is disable VI trap filter, that will be for the moment the closest thing to achieve similar image to a original snes.

Is funny that I want this, and then I see retro-gamers modding their old consoles to get a cleaner video.

Lumstar

Princess
Trophies
Website
eonhack.blogspot.com
XP
Country
United States
At least SNES and most later systems got consistent tolerable composite.
Genesis, Neo Geo, or Master System are notoriously poor quality. With some Genesis revisions having further issues like rainbow banding.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    I @ idonthave: :)