Hacking [Question] Manually Transferring Mii Plaza Data between Systems

Ichii Giki

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
MOAR UPDATE: FYI everyone, I have finally posted my tutorial on "Manual" System Transfers!

http://gbatemp.net/threads/tutorial-manual-system-transfer-for-saves-content.388033/

UPDATE:
So in case anyone looking at this thread is wondering, yes, I have successfully been able to move my NAND/SD content from my O3DS to my region-changed N3DS (minus NNID of course)! Right now I am finalizing the steps for the process and will hopefully post a tutorial soon so anyone else interested in at least moving their content over from their old system to new can do so as well.

Please note that this method will only transfer NAND/SD content and saves. Moving your NNID as a legit full System Transfer would is a completely different matter and outside of the scope of this thread. I personally am going to make any future legit purchases on my O3DS and then manually install those on my N3DS, but as of yesterday, my N3DS is my daily driver 3DS, streetpasses and all! ^_^

So I was able to successfully region change the emuNand of my Japanese N3DS and now I want to move over my saves from my O3DS to the N3DS. Since a legit system transfer is not available currently, I've been assuming SaveDataFiler would be my primary utility for this process. I understand the basics of using SDF for normal games, but for system titles like Mii Plaza I'm a little confused.

• Would I need to decrypt the emuNand from my O3DS to extract the saves for Mii Plaza and then inject those saves into the emuNand of my N3DS?
  • Is there also data on the SD card for Mii Plaza that would have to be extracted and injected with SDF?
  • Also, is it possible to simply install the update data for the DLC games of Mii Plaza like you would the update CIA for any other retail game?
In searching online, I've been unable to find a clear answer for moving the saves of system titles between consoles manually and would appreciate any help or information the fine members of this forum can provide.

Thanks in advance! ^_^

Ichii Giki

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just replying to try and bump this. I have been searching all day and have found no conclusive evidence of how this process could be done. I find it hard to believe that more people have not at least attempted moving Mii Plaza data between consoles in all the time Gateway/NAND access has been available. I did also try manually copying the saves in NAND from my O3DS to N3DS, but when I loaded up the associate apps (Mii Maker, for example) it just said that data was corrupted and was being reinitialized. I even tried this with something simple like the "Notes" app and it did the same thing, said that data was corrupted and it reinitialized all 16 notes.

So apparently if the data is all stored in NAND, you can't just copy the files. Can anyone offer more insight as to where Streetpass data for Mii Plaza is stored? I know that uncollected Streepass hits are stored in NAND until they are collected, but after that are they all stored in ExtData on the SD card (that SaveDataFiler could hopefully access?)? Again, any insight anyone can provide on this conundrum would be greatly appreciated. :wacko:

ubergeek77

Post editing world champ.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What version is your O3DS and New3DS? Since you're using emuNAND, perhaps this is a save encryption issue. So, if your O3DS is running version 6.x or above, maybe the saves for them (even though they are stored on the NAND) are encrypted just like game saves are. And, since Gateway uses the old 4.x encryption keys even though you're using a 9.x firmware, it can't decrypt these saves properly and assumes they are corrupted.

So then I would suspect that the only way you could transfer your Plaza data is if your O3DS never ran version 6.x or above.

That's the only conclusion I could come up with. What do you think?

Apache Thunder

I have cameras in your head!
Trophies
Website
www.mariopc.co.nr
XP
Country
United States
Save encryption for SD/NAND is not the same as cartridge encryption so that's not the issue here.

I believe Mii Plaza stores it's save in NAND (specifically in the data folder. I don't know if it's in extdata or sysdata subfolder. Refer to 3DBrew to find out). SaveDataFiler can't extract/inject NAND save/extdata. You'll either have to system transfer the emunand/nand that has your Mii Plaza save or wait for homebrew to come out that can dump/inject NAND save/extdata.

Reactions: Margen67

ubergeek77

Post editing world champ.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Save encryption for SD/NAND is not the same as cartridge encryption so that's not the issue here.

I believe Mii Plaza stores it's save in NAND (specifically in the data folder. I don't know if it's in extdata or sysdata subfolder. Refer to 3DBrew to find out). SaveDataFiler can't extract/inject NAND save/extdata. You'll either have to system transfer the emunand/nand that has your Mii Plaza save or wait for homebrew to come out that can dump/inject NAND save/extdata.

But I think OP has already tried this, and it failed:

Just replying to try and bump this. I have been searching all day and have found no conclusive evidence of how this process could be done. I find it hard to believe that more people have not at least attempted moving Mii Plaza data between consoles in all the time Gateway/NAND access has been available. I did also try manually copying the saves in NAND from my O3DS to N3DS, but when I loaded up the associate apps (Mii Maker, for example) it just said that data was corrupted and was being reinitialized. I even tried this with something simple like the "Notes" app and it did the same thing, said that data was corrupted and it reinitialized all 16 notes.

So apparently if the data is all stored in NAND, you can't just copy the files. Can anyone offer more insight as to where Streetpass data for Mii Plaza is stored? I know that uncollected Streepass hits are stored in NAND until they are collected, but after that are they all stored in ExtData on the SD card (that SaveDataFiler could hopefully access?)? Again, any insight anyone can provide on this conundrum would be greatly appreciated. :wacko:

If I'm not mistaken, SaveDataFiler can at least dump saves from extdata (I've used it to get my raw Mii data), so the only other thing I would suggest OP do is dump the extdata save of the old Plaza, dump the NAND save for the old plaza, inject the NAND save to the new NAND, and immediately use SaveDataFiler to write the extdata save to the new system. It might also be a good idea to do the same thing to the Mii maker, as the Plaza refers to that to grab your Mii.

It may also be worth mentioning something I observed when trying to transplant my Mii from my old 3DS to my new one: there is a 2-byte value attached to each Mii, depending on which 3DS it was created on. I tried copying and pasting my old Mii directly to my new Mii maker, and while it worked, it wouldn't let me use it in my Plaza. It thought I hadn't created the Mii, even though it was my primary Mii. So anyway, to the point: the Mii maker had a very simple hex value which corresponded to what 3DS it was created on. When I changed my Mii's "verification bytes" to the new 3DS's ones, it worked completely.

What if the Plaza data does some simple verification checks like this?

Apache Thunder

I have cameras in your head!
Trophies
Website
www.mariopc.co.nr
XP
Country
United States
You can't simply copy the NAND saves over to another console or even to a different emunand on the same console. The movable.sed file controls the authentication/encryption of the extdata/sysdata stored on NAND as well as the SD card content. Currently the only way to transfer it over is with System Transfer since SaveDataFiler most likely doesn't have access to the location where Mii Plaza save is stored.

veekay

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This and the Activity Log data are the only thing keeping me on the o3ds so it would be great if moving the data was possible, but it seems no one has figured out how to import it back in on the n3ds

Ichii Giki

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just so everyone knows, for reference in my situation, my O3DS is at 9.6 EmuNAND with rxTools and 9.2 SysNAND. N3DS is 9.2 SysNand, 9.5 EmuNAND with Gateway. I haven't tried to see what is available to export with SDF on the O3DS yet as I would need to restore a backup of my 9.5 EmuNAND so I could run SDF in Gateway on it. I was somewhat waiting for the proposed homebrew/minor CIA support in rxTools so I could just keep it on 9.6 EmuNAND. From what I've read, people haven't had much success with SDF for exporting data from System Apps (like Mii Plaza, etc.)...

(I am still hoping for recent efforts that allow firmware spoofing for eShop access will allow me to do a legit system transfer...if we can get it working on region-changed N3DS consoles... :yay:)

Ichii Giki

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hehe, perhaps once I have finalized the process. There are still some steps I need to tinker with to make sure EVERYTHING is properly copied over. However I can confirm that it did work. I haven't tested Streetpassing yet with another 3DS that already knows my Mii to verify that I look like the same person to other people instead of a new Streetpass. Wouldn't want to level down from 7 to 1 on my friend's 3DSes!

Reactions: mokonayoshi

mokonayoshi

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Cote d'Ivoire
Oh man, can't wait for it. I had every sticker in the minigames and a lot of hats from the DLC on my o3DS, having to do every achievment again and collecting like 1500 pieces again wouldn't be fun at all. I don't really mind if I have another mii/different Streetpass, so if you could do it anyways I (and a few people asking for a method too) would be happy with it.

veekay

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh man, can't wait for it. I had every sticker in the minigames and a lot of hats from the DLC on my o3DS, having to do every achievment again and collecting like 1500 pieces again wouldn't be fun at all. I don't really mind if I have another mii/different Streetpass, so if you could do it anyways I (and a few people asking for a method too) would be happy with it.

I don't have everything, but I have over 50 hours in the plaza and I know I'm not about to do all that again.

Maximilious

Whistles a familiar tune
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes a tutorial for this would be awesome. It's really the only data I care about from my O3DS as well as I have installs for all of my legit eShop purchases already on the N3DS.

veekay

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes a tutorial for this would be awesome. It's really the only data I care about from my O3DS as well as I have installs for all of my legit eShop purchases already on the N3DS.

Did you use Funkycia or something else to move your eshop stuff? I have a couple hundred $ in eshop content I'd like to move

Maximilious

Whistles a familiar tune
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Did you use Funkycia or something else to move your eshop stuff? I have a couple hundred $ in eshop content I'd like to move

I should say I "borrowed" CIA's for the content I've already purchased on my O3DS. I never pay for a game more than once.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: :rofl2: