Homebrew [Question] Just bought a DSi, What can I do?

froggestspirit

Aspiring Game Dev
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm pretty familiar with homebrew on DS and 3DS, but today I picked up a 1.4U DSi. What can I do with it as far as hacking and homebrew?

Wuigi

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not a lot more, you can now inject sudkouhaxx thanks to some program from WulfyStylez and use some homebrew, besides that its pretty the same than a normal DS or DS lite and you also don't have a gba slot, it's really a waste of money, you should have rather bought a 3DS.

froggestspirit

Aspiring Game Dev
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not a lot more, you can now inject sudkouhaxx thanks to some program from WulfyStylez and use some homebrew, besides that its pretty the same than a normal DS or DS lite and you also don't have a gba slot, it's really a waste of money, you should have rather bought a 3DS.
Can I do this without a hardmod? and check my signature in regards to the 3DS XD

froggestspirit

Aspiring Game Dev
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Might as well just get a DSTwo for your New 3DS.
I had a DSTwo before (gave it to a friend). I currently have a seemingly not working M3i zero (got it for my first dsi that I had before the 3ds came out) and an also not orking R4 SDHC (very old, I know those don't work on dsi anyways).
I loved the DSTwo, except for the fact it seemed to drain battery so fast (and I gave it away since I barely used it).
I was thinking of getting something cheap, like a newer R4, but I figured that some emulators could benefit from DSi capabilities. Should I update and buy sudoku or something? From what I understand, I have to hard mod either way, and you need a legit copy of sudoku to use a downgraded one with sudokuhax.

Gadorach

Electronics Engineering Technologist
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I had a DSTwo before (gave it to a friend). I currently have a seemingly not working M3i zero (got it for my first dsi that I had before the 3ds came out) and an also not orking R4 SDHC (very old, I know those don't work on dsi anyways).
I loved the DSTwo, except for the fact it seemed to drain battery so fast (and I gave it away since I barely used it).
I was thinking of getting something cheap, like a newer R4, but I figured that some emulators could benefit from DSi capabilities. Should I update and buy sudoku or something? From what I understand, I have to hard mod either way, and you need a legit copy of sudoku to use a downgraded one with sudokuhax.
That's accurate. You need to update and install Sudoku first. Then, you need to follow my guide to downgrade the DSi. You can find the complete package of DSi data, already decrypted, in the same firmware thread as the 3DS stuff on "that site".
If you have money to spare and don't want to do it yourself, you can ship it to me and I'll downgrade it for you for $30.00. Shipping would be on you both ways, and that doesn't include a permanent hard mod.
Also, if you did it yourself, you could downgrade the system menu and DSCart whitelist and use your old M3i again. I do that as a default on my downgrades though, so it's not like you'd have to do it yourself to get that functionality.

Last edited by Gadorach,

froggestspirit

Aspiring Game Dev
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's accurate. You need to update and install Sudoku first. Then, you need to follow my guide to downgrade the DSi. You can find the complete package of DSi data, already decrypted, in the same firmware thread as the 3DS stuff on "that site".
If you have money to spare and don't want to do it yourself, you can ship it to me and I'll downgrade it for you for $30.00. Shipping would be on you both ways, and that doesn't include a permanent hard mod.
Also, if you did it yourself, you could downgrade the system menu and DSCart whitelist and use your old M3i again. I do that as a default on my downgrades though, so it's not like you'd have to do it yourself to get that functionality.
Thanks, I appreciate the offer, though I've done around 3 3ds's myself. I guess I'll get sudoku now, though I'm also wondering if getting an acekard2i is worth it too. I never liked my m3izero much (no sleep mode)

Gadorach

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Thanks, I appreciate the offer, though I've done around 3 3ds's myself. I guess I'll get sudoku now, though I'm also wondering if getting an acekard2i is worth it too. I never liked my m3izero much (no sleep mode)
Don't forget to pickup a retail copy of DSi-enhanced game "The Biggest Loser", and make sure you have a regular old DS sitting around so you can program the hacked save into it. If you've done 3DSes, you'll be fine with the DSi. If it was an XL, it would be even easier, as you don't need to take out the board.

Reactions: nxwing

froggestspirit

Aspiring Game Dev
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Don't forget to pickup a retail copy of DSi-enhanced game "The Biggest Loser", and make sure you have a regular old DS sitting around so you can program the hacked save into it. If you've done 3DSes, you'll be fine with the DSi. If it was an XL, it would be even easier, as you don't need to take out the board.
Can I use my Raspberry pi instead of biggest loser?

Gadorach

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
If I may ask why? I have a model 2B, is it just the software not being compatible?
The build of 3DSUnbricker used was incompatible last anyone I talked to checked. It's possible that you could manually go through and upgrade the kernel, but it's probably more time and cost effective to take a run to your local gamestop and pick up a copy of The Biggest Loser. If you have any luck whatsoever, it'll be there. Else, it's only like $6.00 on eBay.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    maaaaan that's so awesome but I also don't want to fork over a hundo for it
  • Veho @ Veho:
    The fuuuuu---
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I thought it was an actual xBox at that price.
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I wanna grab a 360 Slim and a 360 E one of these days. Missed the boat of getting them at their lowest though, once they were discontinued. Could've got them for cheap back when I was a broke 20 something working at Target, but then again, I was a broke 20 something working at Target
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Being broke is no fun.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @Sicklyboy, $150 isn't that bad for a jtag slim on ebay
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I only wish it was actually playable.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    There's a guy on the Tube of You that makes playable mechanical arcade games out of Lego. This could work on the same principle.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Just a couple of guys taking their manatee out for some fresh air, why you have to molest them?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Stupid Chinese shop switched their shipping company and this one is slooooooow.
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    STOP BUYING CHINESE CRAP THEN
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    SUPPORT LOCAL PRODUCTS, MAKE REVOLUTION
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THEY KEEP REMOVING LOCAL SHIt AND REPLACING WItH INFERIOR CHINESE CRAP
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THATS WHY MY PARTNER CANT GET A GOOTWEAR HIS SIZE ANYMORE
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    HE HAS BIG FOOT AND BIG DUCK
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    d*ck i mean*
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Mkay.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I just ordered another package from China just to spite you.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Leo could not withstand communism.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Its OUR products to begin with lol.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Its OUR products to begin with lol.