Hacking Question for Wiikey Users

superkris

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Lately the Wii game I burn seems to be "slow" and they make a lot of noises so I was wondering if it's something I do...

So here are my questions to Wiikey users (and other too I guess):

At what speed to you burn your games?
I was told to use Imgburn at 1X and I use Verbatim DVD-R (lightscribe)

At what speed is your Wiikey set?
Mine is at the default one I guess since I've never changed it.

So is the problem me or the crappy Wii games I burn?
I remember "Carnival games" and "My Sims" to be real slow and noisy...

Thanks

sekhu

moo?
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I burn my games at the lowest speed possible. in my case that's 2.4x. I don't believe you can burn at 1x speed as you can't buy DVDs anymore that supprt 1x burning. So when you burn at 1x the program automatically burns at the lowest speed available based on the disc type. I use TY (for Wii) and Imation (for GC Games).

My wii is set at 6x read, and it's always been noisy, though it's never annoying or loud enough to be a problem. Noise is normal for the wii when there's activity going on.

webjedi

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

I use mostly Verbatims DVD 16x and the Verbatims DVD that are inkjet printable (I think) 12x.

I always burn at full speed using Nero.

DVD disc and recorders can be very wacky - if someone is having issues buy a new DVD burner and/or new disc.

Must be default as well as I never changed that setting.

QUOTE(superkris @ Nov 8 2007, 06:02 PM)So is the problem me or the crappy Wii games I burn?
I remember "Carnival games" and "My Sims" to be real slow and noisy...
Must be you - I've burned and played both with no issues.
smile.gif

Get a new burner and see if your luck changes.

EDIT: I checked my device list and I have a NEC DVD_RW ND-3520AW.

adgloride

Its A Wii Wario
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I try to get the DVD-Rs that work on everything. My PS2 has a really old mod chip in it and is really fussy on what media it boots. So if a DVD-R boots on the PS2 its good quality. At the moment I'm using the bulkpaq orange (More like and orangy yellow). They are pretty cheap for 50. I did use the datawrite blue but they got too expensive. So far I've had no problems with playing any game. I've burned at x8 and x16 with no problems at all. The wii loads the games pretty quietly though you can hear a little clicking.

thomaspajamas

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I used crappy compusa DVD+Rs forever but they just ran out and I got some verbatims, havent tried them yet though.

I usually burn at max, and if it doesnt work for some reason then I burn as the slowest possible and then it works.

Funny though, I dont know if its just a coincidence, but I had a lot of trouble with Carnival games too, it would just restart randomly and freeze. And take forever to load. I just stopped trying though cause the game seemed like balls anyway

Heran Bago

Where do puyo come from?
Trophies
Website
heranbago.com
XP
Country
United States
superkris said:
Lately the Wii game I burn seems to be "slow" and they make a lot of noises so I was wondering if it's something I do...
It depends somewhat on the game in my experience. I've heard a ton of noise from Metroid Prime 3 and very litte from Ur Mr Gay.

superkris said:
2X or 4X, usually 4X.

superkris said:
Default. the faster one.

superkris
So is the problem me or the crappy Wii games I burn?
It's more likely that it's the media you're using. Resident Evil 4 took me 3 burns to get a good one on crappy blank DVD-Rs.
However Super Raper Mario and Ur Mr Gay were working just fine on crappy office depot discs.

edit: actually it could be your dvd burning drive. what kind of drive you using?

Lazycus

Rotten
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Verbatim DVD-R 16X burned with Nero at 8X on a Pioneer DVR-109. No problems so far. Wii with WiiKey loves them. All my GC discs are RiData 4X mini DVD-R burned at 4X. Wii loves them as well, just like my GameCube. WiiKey set at 6X.

MC DUI

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Don't burn at the slowest speed. Just burn it 1 speed less than the maximum.

Use Verbatim or TDK's

What is the logic behind buring one speed less than the max?

I've seen people recommend the lowest possible speed and others the maximum but you don't often see people recommending a speed in between.

MohammadKoush

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
hello there

i have a question for you !, where does the sound happen is it in your wii or in your pc?, since i had that issue, my wii used to make the noise and its like the DVD is vibrating to much, to much for my wii to read it, but i found the problom and it was not from my DVD +/- R, it was my WII !!! so i got to the point were any thing i play would not work, but like i sed i found out what cosed it. now to see this you need to "re"open your wii , and go all the way to take the plate out Do Not remove you DVD Drive From your WII as you will not need to do that, any way and just slip in a DVD game while it is still open, now you will hear the noise, like i sed it sound like vibration, now in the center of the DVD Drive where the small round metel plate that hold the DVD media does not rotate so while the DVD is spinning put your finger on it and lightly press down a little the noise should be gone now this is what i found out, "lets call this round metal piece the center piece" if you bring a pencil and press with it down on defrent part of the center piece you will find out where is the off balace is at, and according u need to find a way to bend it a little down word, so it hold it self at balance state, now do this at your own risk, dont over do it and come back here criying !!!!! any way i dont want you to get scared, but if you wana find out if this is the problom you have without opening your WII, do this: put your wii on its belly down and have it where you can press on top of the DVD Drive. now the vibration should slow down and the DRE's should be less, then you know that the center piece is the problom, and then its worth going in your wii, any way if this is the case the center piece is fixable just find what side is doing it and bend it downword a little by little till the sound is gone peace later

superkris

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Thanks a lot everyone!

I will try and change some stuff like speed and media and re-burn but right now none of the games that are "buggy" deserve to be re-burned!!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/WOppJ92RgGU?si=KE79L6A_3jESsGQM