Question about XBox 360 emulator

frogboy

lacking both style and grace
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No, there aren't any working Xbox 360 emulators. Most of the sites you see are just scams or excuses to get you to click on their survey links.

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
No.
We still have a lot of trouble emulating the Xbox.

PS3/360 emulators won't come out for another 20 years.
If you're looking at how powerful a PC must be to emulate the GCN/Wii.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I have probably made a similar response when the question last arose

On PS360 emulators.

The emulate the CPU and everything up and/or dynamic recompilation thing may eventually sprout wings but I would not expect it any time soon.

The only emulation you will probably see is if

a) if someone sticks one of those cell PCI cards into a machine and kicks things to it. I doubt a straight up FPGA will get there at this point but who knows.

or b) someone says "oooh this was written for [insert popular engine]" and with a bit of messing around gets the assets loaded up onto it and thus the game to go with it, if it is open sourced at this stage (not uncommon for such things to happen) then even better. I will also accept asset ports and in game remakes in this as some of that lot are doing good work of late.

Though I can see it not happening that way I would not call betting against b) a safe bet. a) is possible again but I doubt the effort will be put into it as the userbase would be tiny.

I should note however that games are largely written in programming languages designed for portability, stored in nice content management systems (games got in on that in an odd way but it was early on), companies have seen the niceties of long tail sales, companies have seen the niceties of porting to everything under the sun and other such nice things that mean we are not likely to see games have lost source code.

Satangel

BEAST
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Lol people are still working on an Xbox emulator?
Could very well be. We see the occasional NES/SNES update on the GBAtemp frontpage even, so why not updates for a much more recent console?
People who make emulators aren't doing it for profit or to be the fastest; they just want to do it and do it as good as possible. It's their hobby, they don't care if their emulator is 10 years too late, they just want to be able to do it.

Also, this;
How long until 360 emulated properly

Next time at least try to search

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
I think the 360 could be easily emulated, since it uses a IBM PPC chip just like the Wii, which has been emulated almost flawlessly already, running games at full speed at 1080p without any major issues. Granted, the 360 is much beefier than the Wii, so you'd need a hefty rig for the DynaRec to operate properly, but it CAN be done. Just not sure why there has been such a roadblock on an emulator for such a popular system...

trumpet-205

Embrace the darkness within
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I think the 360 could be easily emulated, since it uses a IBM PPC chip just like the Wii, which has been emulated almost flawlessly already, running games at full speed at 1080p without any major issues. Granted, the 360 is much beefier than the Wii, so you'd need a hefty rig for the DynaRec to operate properly, but it CAN be done. Just not sure why there has been such a roadblock on an emulator for such a popular system...
N64 and PS2 both use MIPS, but do you see a polished N64 emulator?

Original Xbox uses x86 (Pentium 3 to be exact), do you see a polished Xbox emulator?

Architecture hardly matters in emulator. Having well documented information and interested developers are what push the development of emulators.

Reactions: DinohScene

Fishaman P

Speedrunner
Trophies
Website
twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
Architecture hardly matters in emulator. Having well documented information and interested developers are what push the development of emulators.
To expand on this, CPU architecture almost doesn't matter at all in emulators. RISC vs. CISC is the main thing there.
What really matters is the system architecture; i.e. the pipeline audio takes to get to the speakers, the timing of interrupts, etc.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl: :discuss: