Homebrew Question about Wii Models and Hacking

Volckius

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Ireland
Hi everyone, I have two Wiis and decided that I'm going to Homebrew one (or maybe both) . I've never homebrewed a Wii but I've homebrewed a 2DS before (even though there hacking process is very different I just thought I'd put that in to show that I've had some experience following guides carefully and all) so I'm just starting off. My question is, Is there any type of Wii that is better to hack than the others?(e.g. is the black Wii better to hack than the original white one) And if there is which ones are the best? I thought I once saw a post on WiiHacks on Reddit about which one is better and that one of them has a better chance at installing Boot2 (or BootMii2 I'm sorry I'm new and forget the name for it) but I could be wrong. Thank you in advance!

Maeson

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
The only difference I know is that earlier Wiis could have BootMii installed as Boot2 (one of the several proccesses the system has to turn itself on), instead of installing it as a CIOS like more modern systems; so I can't add anything else on that matter. Oh, and that older Wiis could read burnt DVDs for certain uses related with homebrew (but I know very little about it).

Now hacking aside, Red/Black/Light Blue, and some White (depending on the revision number) have some advantages compared to earlier versions, that I've been learning about for quite some time looking around the net. Those colors use the revision named "RVL-CPU-40" and "RVL-CPU-60" (very very slight differences between those).

For one, they have better disc drive, earlier Wii models had a lens that would worn out quickly when reading double-layered dvds (although to be fair, the disc drives changed a lot during the system's production). Not only that, early models had a worse YPbPr quality image output, which would get fixed in those later revisions too (and would become comparable to GC component, if what I read is accurate).

If that wasn't neat enough, those colored Wiis also generate less heat and consume less electric power.
So, in my humble opinion, I'd rather softmod the black one. You get assured you have all those perks I mention, and if you're going to give the system an extensive use, in the long run seems better to me.

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
All Wiis with exploitable boot1 were made before mid 2008

Later in the first quarter of 2009, they started making the "LU64+"'s, which is just a board revision imposing a minimum IOS version: but nowadays this fact is only of interest to the people who want to downgrade for fun or history

Then much later they started bundling the wiimotes with integrated motionplus, those are incompatible with older homebrews (remember that in the Wii system every application supplies their own controller drivers) but it's a matter of controller, not console :)

Volckius

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Ireland
The only difference I know is that earlier Wiis could have BootMii installed as Boot2 (one of the several proccesses the system has to turn itself on), instead of installing it as a CIOS like more modern systems; so I can't add anything else on that matter. Oh, and that older Wiis could read burnt DVDs for certain uses related with homebrew (but I know very little about it).

Now hacking aside, Red/Black/Light Blue, and some White (depending on the revision number) have some advantages compared to earlier versions, that I've been learning about for quite some time looking around the net. Those colors use the revision named "RVL-CPU-40" and "RVL-CPU-60" (very very slight differences between those).

For one, they have better disc drive, earlier Wii models had a lens that would worn out quickly when reading double-layered dvds (although to be fair, the disc drives changed a lot during the system's production). Not only that, early models had a worse YPbPr quality image output, which would get fixed in those later revisions too (and would become comparable to GC component, if what I read is accurate).

If that wasn't neat enough, those colored Wiis also generate less heat and consume less electric power.
So, in my humble opinion, I'd rather softmod the black one. You get assured you have all those perks I mention, and if you're going to give the system an extensive use, in the long run seems better to me.

Thank you! I'm not exactly sure of when both of my Wiis were bought as the white one I was given by a relative that was done with it and the black one I bought but forget the exact year I did. I can imagine both Wiis were bought back in the 2000s. Is there any way I can find a date when they were bought? The White one is definitely bought longer than the black one and the black one was bought before 2013 (I'm not very sure as I forget) but Ill take your advice and go for the black one even if I can't install BootMii as Boot2 (or is that what would be best?)

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

All Wiis with exploitable boot1 were made before mid 2008

Later in the first quarter of 2009, they started making the "LU64+"'s, which is just a board revision imposing a minimum IOS version: but nowadays this fact is only of interest to the people who want to downgrade for fun or history

Then much later they started bundling the wiimotes with integrated motionplus, those are incompatible with older homebrews (remember that in the Wii system every application supplies their own controller drivers) but it's a matter of controller, not console :)

Thank you! I'm not exactly sure but I remember using the Wii Motion extension dongle thingy that plugged into the place for the nunchuck on my black Wii controllers but I'm not exactly sure about this but I might of used the Wii Controllers with it as well (I'm not sure if I did though I only remember clearly using the dongle ones)

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
even if I can't install BootMii as Boot2
In my opinion it's not that useful.

Sure, it's the only full backup and restore system without hardmod: but as long as the system menu and its IOS are in good condition, every other issue can be fixed through Priiloader (if you installed it first, of course :) , and you'll probably appreciate it anyway for the "hacks" (patches))

As long as you have Priiloader installed and only install titles from trusted sources (or even just verify their titleIDs to ensure they're not a corrupted version of one of those critical titles under false name - and even then I don't remember any high profile case of such files circulating), you'll be very likely fine!

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Thank you! I'm not exactly sure of when both of my Wiis were bought as the white one I was given by a relative that was done with it and the black one I bought but forget the exact year I did. I can imagine both Wiis were bought back in the 2000s. Is there any way I can find a date when they were bought? The White one is definitely bought longer than the black one and the black one was bought before 2013 (I'm not very sure as I forget) but Ill take your advice and go for the black one even if I can't install BootMii as Boot2 (or is that what would be best?)

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Thank you! I'm not exactly sure but I remember using the Wii Motion extension dongle thingy that plugged into the place for the nunchuck on my black Wii controllers but I'm not exactly sure about this but I might of used the Wii Controllers with it as well (I'm not sure if I did though I only remember clearly using the dongle ones)
I don't think any black ones supports BootMii as boot2. All BootMii as boot2 is good for is brick protection. but that's a kinda important feature. You can get partial brick protection with Priiloader though.
Whatever you get, make sure it has GameCube ports. In the later ones they removed them so you can't use GC controllers in games normally without adapters.
The earlier ones could read burned games without a modchip but with USB loaders that's not very useful anymore.

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I don't think any black ones supports BootMii as boot2. All BootMii as boot2 is good for is brick protection. but that's a kinda important feature. You can get partial brick protection with Priiloader though.

I've never bothered with any kind of brick protection & I haven't had any problems. I only ever installed trusted channels, so didn't have a problem with channel bricks. Just don't mess with anything system menu related. You'll probably want to use emunand anyway if you're going to install loads of channels.

Whatever you get, make sure it has GameCube ports. In the later ones they removed them so you can't use GC controllers in games normally without adapters.

That is a good point, as long as you care about GameCube controllers. I still use one with nintendont, but that is more laziness with not bothering to reconfigure it.

The earlier ones could read burned games without a modchip but with USB loaders that's not very useful anymore.

I remember that, the loading speed was abysmal. I don't think I'd even consider it.

Volckius

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Ireland

Huh, thanks for the information and all but I'm not exactly sure what I should Homebrew then, I always have the option to Homebrew them both which I might end up doing. My black Wii has the GameCube ports which is handy as I am looking forward to using them, I'm not exactly sure about the white one but I'll find out.

In my opinion it's not that useful.

Sure, it's the only full backup and restore system without hardmod: but as long as the system menu and its IOS are in good condition, every other issue can be fixed through Priiloader (if you installed it first, of course :) , and you'll probably appreciate it anyway for the "hacks" (patches))

As long as you have Priiloader installed and only install titles from trusted sources (or even just verify their titleIDs to ensure they're not a corrupted version of one of those critical titles under false name - and even then I don't remember any high profile case of such files circulating), you'll be very likely fine!

Again I'm a huge noob right now to this scene but from experience in hacking my 2ds I'm assuming by TitleIDs you mean the Wii Titles or Programs. What sources should I download from exactly ? I've looked into Wii Homebrew a bit and as far as I know Wiibrew.org is a trusted source isint it?

After all of this Im not sure which one to Homebrew, the black one is better hardware wise and could last longer in the long run but might not be able to install BootMii as Boot2 but I might not need it if I'm careful with the titles I download. The white one might be able to install BootMii as Boot2 because it might be the older model but doesn't have as good hardware as the black one. Which one should I go with? Thank you all for this information, it's very helpful and I hope this thread will be a lot of help to other people in my situation.

Edit:
I've never bothered with any kind of brick protection & I haven't had any problems. I only ever installed trusted channels, so didn't have a problem with channel bricks. Just don't mess with anything system menu related. You'll probably want to use emunand anyway if you're going to install loads of channels.

That is a good point, as long as you care about GameCube controllers. I still use one with nintendont, but that is more laziness with not bothering to reconfigure it.

I remember that, the loading speed was abysmal. I don't think I'd even consider it.

This is a nice way to sum it all up, so the best option is to go with the black one because of the hardware benefits and I should be fine without Boot2 if I'm careful and only install from trusted sources or is there more that I should be wary of?

Last edited by Volckius,

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Huh, thanks for the information and all but I'm not exactly sure what I should Homebrew then, I always have the option to Homebrew them both which I might end up doing. My black Wii has the GameCube ports which is handy as I am looking forward to using them, I'm not exactly sure about the white one but I'll find out.

Again I'm a huge noob right now to this scene but from experience in hacking my 2ds I'm assuming by TitleIDs you mean the Wii Titles or Programs. What sources should I download from exactly ? I've looked into Wii Homebrew a bit and as far as I know Wiibrew.org is a trusted source isint it?

After all of this Im not sure which one to Homebrew, the black one is better hardware wise and could last longer in the long run but might not be able to install BootMii as Boot2 but I might not need it if I'm careful with the titles I download. The white one might be able to install BootMii as Boot2 because it might be the older model but doesn't have as good hardware as the black one. Which one should I go with? Thank you all for this information, it's very helpful and I hope this thread will be a lot of help to other people in my situation.
I think the white one will last just fine. The only problem I ever had with my launch Wii was that it stopped reading dual layer discs properly, but with USB loaders that's not really an issue and it can probably be fixed by cleaning the laser anyway.
I might have gone for the black one simply because I prefer the color. I don't really like white electronics.

Not having BootMii as boot2 just means you have to be more careful about what you do. But normally the only (slightly) dangerous thing you would be likely to do on a Wii would be to trucha patch the system menu IOS, so you can load pirated WADs from the SD card menu, but loading them from emuNAND is better anyway, even though it's more work to set up.
You wouldn't normally touch system IOS other than that. Installing cIOS has no brick risk either.
And banner bricks (from installing corrupted/bad WADs) aren't an issue with Priiloader.

Volckius

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Ireland
I think the white one will last just fine. The only problem I ever had with my launch Wii was that it stopped reading dual layer discs properly, but with USB loaders that's not really an issue and it can probably be fixed by cleaning the laser anyway.
I might have gone for the black one simply because I prefer the color. I don't really like white electronics.

Not having BootMii as boot2 just means you have to be more careful about what you do. But normally the only (slightly) dangerous thing you would be likely to do on a Wii would be to trucha patch the system menu IOS, so you can load pirated WADs from the SD card menu, but loading them from emuNAND is better anyway, even though it's more work to set up.
You wouldn't normally touch system IOS other than that. Installing cIOS has no brick risk either.
And banner bricks (from installing corrupted/bad WADs) aren't an issue with Priiloader.

I too prefer the colour of the black Wii so I might just go with that. Again I'm new to this so I don't know exactly what a WAD is but I'm assuming it's a title. I've been recommended to follow the CompleteSoftmodGuide and I'm not sure if that installs EmuNAND or not, and even though I have homebrewed my 2DS and looked into the hacking scene a bit but I never looked into what an EmuNAND is and what it does.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I too prefer the colour of the black Wii so I might just go with that. Again I'm new to this so I don't know exactly what a WAD is but I'm assuming it's a title. I've been recommended to follow the CompleteSoftmodGuide and I'm not sure if that installs EmuNAND or not, and even though I have homebrewed my 2DS and looked into the hacking scene a bit but I never looked into what an EmuNAND is and what it does.
I don't know if it does, but I would suggest ModMii instead. Complete Softmod Guide suggests a weird cIOS setup, and it's more complicated to follow than ModMii.
I'm pretty sure ModMii has an option for emuNAND.

Volckius

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Ireland
I don't know if it does, but I would suggest ModMii instead. Complete Softmod Guide suggests a weird cIOS setup, and it's more complicated to follow than ModMii.
I'm pretty sure ModMii has an option for emuNAND.

Ok thank you, I'll look into the ModMii guide if its up to date and all

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I am the cancer!!! lol