Question about Wii disc drives

Discussion in 'Wii - Hardware, Devices and Utilities' started by 1337Andrew, Nov 28, 2012.

1. 1337Andrew
    OP

1337Andrew Newbie

Newcomer
    Nov 28, 2012
    United States
    Hello all. I have researched this and have found no real answer to my question, so here goes here. I have a Wii that is a GC2-D2C v1 serial, but the drive was replaced by Nintendo about 8 months ago, so I know my drive is newer. What I'm getting at is I'm trying to run a DVD of GBA roms from dvd for VBAGX. Tells me the "dvd format is not recognized". Is this something about the age of the drive? I hope this isn't the wrong forum for this. Also, if it is my drive, two questions. First, what drive could I purchase and replace the current drive with to have a drive able to run burnt dvds and second, could I make my Wii play burnt dvds as it is now with a solderless modchip, if so which one? I appreciate any response and look forward to replies. Also, when burning the dvd, I am making it the ISO9660. Also is there any way to identify a drive by looking at it?

2. no_chocobo

no_chocobo Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jan 31, 2008
    United States
    You'd have to pop open your Wii and see the number on the drive chip. When I sent my wii in to get repaired, it came back with a whole new drive model and everything.

3. Lacius

Lacius GBAtemp Guru

May 11, 2008
    United States
    If your drive was replaced eight months ago, then it is likely too new to play burned DVDs. I recommend you play your games off your SD or USB instead.