Hacking Question about US/JP console (v 4.1-4.5)

Dewdrops

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
Greetings!

Just want to ask if it is more advisable to get a US console or a JP console with version 4.1-4.5. I am thinking about getting one to play games that I would normally not be able to buy due to the region-lock issue (such as Japanese games).

I own a 3DS XL (US) version with firmware 7.x and some actual games which I think is good enough to buy the original to support the original developers. I want to keep these just in case.

Will there be problems if one tries to update a game which is meant for the EU region (e.g. Pokémon 1.2 patch update) with a US/JP console?

Dewdrops

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
I went to check out prices, and it wouldn't be very different for either a US or JP console.
As much I don't really like the idea of owning two consoles for the same region, I was thinking about problems with the JP console due to the UI language and also the eShop when it comes to game updates (and vice versa with a US console when it comes to Japanese games)...

Are there are any restrictions with certain games when it comes to using card like Gateway? Like no multiplayer online?

migles

All my gbatemp friends are now mods, except for me
Trophies
XP
Country
China
Are there are any restrictions with certain games when it comes to using card like Gateway? Like no multiplayer online?

if the games you will play are roms (gateway) you will be not able to go online

i'd like to help you but i even don't know the answers about diferent region consoles + nnid\store stuff + gateway

i only know you can't update your console or you will lose gateway support, but with emunand (emulated system) you can update it but there will be some issues...

Reactions: AriaofMarina

cearp

瓜老外
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Tuvalu
I went to check out prices, and it wouldn't be very different for either a US or JP console.
As much I don't really like the idea of owning two consoles for the same region, I was thinking about problems with the JP console due to the UI language and also the eShop when it comes to game updates (and vice versa with a US console when it comes to Japanese games)...

with gateway you cannot play games online.
you can only access the japanese eshop on a japanese console, same with europe, usa.. etc
you will not be able to download updates for games if they do not exist on your shop.
for games that are released in all places, have updates, for example mario kart, pokemon, maybe the update in the eshop will work for the foreign rom... but probably not.
if gateway ever lets us install .cia files, in theory game updates/dlc/anything eshop could be installed, so we would probably be able to install out of region updates etc in the future, but not now.

you talk about problems with the jp console about the ui language, what do you mean by that?
if you will have trouble using the 3ds because it will be in japanese, then many games will not be as enjoyable if you do not understand japanese.

Dewdrops

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
Thanks for the answer migles, I really appreciate it. It helps somehow. I don't even know what Emunand is and I heard it a lot...

I need to do a little bit more checking, but after considering the limitations I should be getting a Japanese console. I'll leave it to my normal 3DS XL for access to US games with multiplayer and online content.

I'll just wait for more answers and maybe also things that I need to know before buying the necessary things to setup.

migles

Trophies
XP
Country
China
Thanks for the answer migles, I really appreciate it. It helps somehow. I don't even know what Emunand is and I heard it a lot...

I need to do a little bit more checking, but after considering the limitations I should be getting a Japanese console. I'll leave it to my normal 3DS XL for access to US games with multiplayer and online content.

I'll just wait for more answers and maybe also things that I need to know before buying the necessary things to setup.

emunand is like a second system installed on the sd card, you will be able to use a "glitch" to change to that fake system, which you can update it without updating the real console

its like another copy of windows in which you can update it or install stuff on it, but it works almost exaclty as the real one...

edit: also thank cearp, not me xD

Dewdrops

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
with gateway you cannot play games online.
you can only access the japanese eshop on a japanese console, same with europe, usa.. etc
you will not be able to download updates for games if they do not exist on your shop.
for games that are released in all places, have updates, for example mario kart, pokemon, maybe the update in the eshop will work for the foreign rom... but probably not.
if gateway ever lets us install .cia files, in theory game updates/dlc/anything eshop could be installed, so we would probably be able to install out of region updates etc in the future, but not now.

you talk about problems with the jp console about the ui language, what do you mean by that?
if you will have trouble using the 3ds because it will be in japanese, then many games will not be as enjoyable if you do not understand japanese.
I see, thanks too cearp for elaborating, I figured it will be just like that.

With gateway, is it possible to download demos from the Japanese eshop?

I heard the UI in Japanese will be similar to the UI for the English console. It is a minor inconvenience I can live with. I can get a friend to help me with it as well if I am stuck.

emunand is like a second system installed on the sd card, you will be able to use a "glitch" to change to that fake system, which you can update it without updating the real console

its like another copy of windows in which you can update it or install stuff on it, but it works almost exaclty as the real one...

edit: also thank cearp, not me xD
I posted the message before I realised that there was a new reply xD so I couldn't reply straightaway to him.

Sounds neat, though what are the issues with emunand? Pretty sure there must be some kind of catch to it, since you said there were problems...

migles

Trophies
XP
Country
China
Sounds neat, though what are the issues with emunand? Pretty sure there must be some kind of catch to it, since you said there were problems...

there are been problems like, some games\dlc from eshop don't work
some users i dont know how, had updated the console REALnand (nand is the memory chip inside the console, he saves the home menu and settings and other things)

there is also reports of bricks on the console... i don't own a gateway or other 3ds flashcart, so i don't know much... and how that happens..

in my opinion the emunand thing is just a temporary "hack" people use now.. until later new methods of softmodding the console appear and this thing is forgotten in the past, but that can be 1-2 maybe 5 years until that happen, no one knows and don't ask when, its the same thing asking when do you die

Dewdrops

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
there are been problems like, some games\dlc from eshop don't work
some users i dont know how, had updated the console REALnand (nand is the memory chip inside the console, he saves the home menu and settings and other things)

there is also reports of bricks on the console... i don't own a gateway or other 3ds flashcart, so i don't know much... and how that happens..

in my opinion the emunand thing is just a temporary "hack" people use now.. until later new methods of softmodding the console appear and this thing is forgotten in the past, but that can be 1-2 maybe 5 years until that happen, no one knows and don't ask when, its the same thing asking when do you die
I see. I heard somewhere that there were less issues with the current update so I was considering on getting one. I don't really plan to use Emunand if it is too risky.

Dewdrops

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
it is not japanese specific at all, you can access and download things on the eshop, some things do not work, if they are encrypted with new keys, but at the moment basically everything works.
Thanks for all the answers. So meaning you can download things on whatever eshop you have access to, but there's always a chance that something might not work, either now or in the future...It's all ok for me.

Just a few more questions for anyone who knows. If I decide to buy a Japanese actual cart for a game I know that will never be released in English or take a very long time to do so. Is there something in the Gateway that allow the actual cart to work?

justln

Trophies
XP
Country
It really depends on what games you'll most likely play. If there's a patch, you can't update if the game region doesn't matches your eShop region even if you're using an original cartridge.

Emunand basically works like a real firmware, however your savegames will be locked to the 4.5 firmware keys and can't be used on other console with higher firmware.

Example: Monster Hunter 4 retail game will work on a US XL Emunand, however you can't go online or download any DLC due to the patch requirement and eshop difference.

Dewdrops

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
It really depends on what games you'll most likely play. If there's a patch, you can't update if the game region doesn't matches your eShop region even if you're using an original cartridge.

Emunand basically works like a real firmware, however your savegames will be locked to the 4.5 firmware keys and can't be used on other console with higher firmware.

Example: Monster Hunter 4 retail game will work on a US XL Emunand, however you can't go online or download any DLC due to the patch requirement and eshop difference.
Does that mean you can update a Monster Hunter 4 retail game on a JP LL Emunand?

I understand the savegames issues now, thanks for explaining that. It's probably not a problem for me if it is a console that is supposed to be incompatible with the current one I am having.

I still like my English games to have online and multiplayer, so I will still keep my original console and still support the actual games.

cearp

瓜老外
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Tuvalu
Does that mean you can update a Monster Hunter 4 retail game on a JP LL Emunand?

I understand the savegames issues now, thanks for explaining that. It's probably not a problem for me if it is a console that is supposed to be incompatible with the current one I am having.

I still like my English games to have online and multiplayer, so I will still keep my original console and still support the actual games.
you can use retail games with gateway, yes :)

justln

Trophies
XP
Country

I would say yes since it acts like a real firmware, my US Pokemon Y was able to get the 1.1 patch from the US eShop with no issues at all.

Dewdrops

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
I would say yes since it acts like a real firmware, my US Pokemon Y was able to get the 1.1 patch from the US eShop with no issues at all.
That's good to know. I guess it doesn't make it any different from an actual US console (with the latest firmware, not the fake one), but that's still good news if I get a JP console with retail games.

After considering everything, I think I will go for a JP LL. Big thank you to everyone for the help!

Will love to know if there's anything else that needs to be known, and also things to avoid (other than updating system console which I already know). Otherwise, it's all good.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/MddR6PTmGKg?si=mU2EO5hoE7XXSbSr