03bgood

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay, so I have 259 VC games (yep, that's all of them) and 27 Wii VC games and then you have 8 pre-installed apps, so I just passed the 292 limit (ugh) and I was wondering if plugging in two flash drives, but only keeping the one you one to use will mess up the layout of games on the other one not being used, when you use it the next time. Right now, all of my VC games are on my 32GB internal memory and my Wii VC games are on a 128GB flash drive and I don't want to mess up the layout of all my VC games (NES, SNES, N64, GBA, DS, and TG-16, that is) and how do keep the layout organized? I'm thinking about moving my NES, SNES, N64, GBA, DS, and TG-16 VC games to my 32GB flash drive. I have three of them, in fact; 32GB, 64GB, and 128GB.

Last edited by 03bgood,

03bgood

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't really believe you, but... Play some games, then delete them when you're done and install more.

You're not going to get a more sensible answer to this problem because it's not a sensible problem.
I'll never do that. I just want to know if using two flash drives will mess up the layout of games on the one that is not being used, when you do use it. That's all.

ItsKipz

l33t hax0r
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay, so I have 259 VC games (yep, that's all of them) and 27 Wii VC games and then you have 8 pre-installed apps, so I just passed the 292 limit (ugh) and I was wondering if plugging in two flash drives, but only keeping the one you one to use will mess up the layout of games on the other one not being used, when you use it the next time. Right now, all of my VC games are on my 32GB internal memory and my Wii VC games are on a 128GB flash drive and I don't want to mess up the layout of all my VC games (NES, SNES, N64, GBA, DS, and TG-16, that is) and how do keep the layout organized? I'm thinking about moving my NES, SNES, N64, GBA, DS, and TG-16 VC games to my 32GB flash drive. I have three of them, in fact; 32GB, 64GB, and 128GB.
If you really want to, get a 64gb sd card and set up rednand and install some of the games there.

DocAmes1980

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

There's no sense in trying to solve this problem as it's a self created one. I'm not normally one to tell people what to do with their consoles but what you're trying to do makes no practical sense. Why would you install 259 VC games? Use emulators for god's sake. They're better than the VC emulators and there is no manual organization required as your directory of ROMs will be listed alphabetically. Also why limit yourself to just the ROMs that were released as VC titles? The emulator situation on the Wii U side is in its infancy, but is fully mature on the vWii side of things. As good emulators are released for the Wii U you could simply switch to using those. No reinstallation of titles required as you just have to point to the directory where your ROMs are located. For the Wii titles you could use USB Loader GX (if it will initialize your flash drives, an HDD is better for the vWii or Wii U).

As for your question I'm doubtful that using two drives would allow you to install more titles. I'm not even sure that the Wii U can be linked to two different USB storage devices. Maybe it can but even if that's the case I would think that the titles that are installed on a USB still count towards the title limit when the device is not plugged in. Using redNAND could allow you to install more titles but that would be a pain to deal with. For example you could install A - L VC titles on sysNAND and M - Z titles on redNAND but then you'd have to boot into redNAND if you wanted to play Super Mario World and if you wanted to then play Kirby's Adventure you'd have to power cycle the console and apply SIG patches. Anything you install to sysNAND/redNAND after the dump will not be launchable on the opposite NAND and that includes titles installed to USB.

TL;DR: You can run homebrew code so use emulators. redNAND is not a good solution to try and increase the title limit. Alternatively you could get a second Wii U and then place a sticky note on one that says "A - L" and a sticky note on the other that says "M - Z"

EddieEddie90

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Use RetroArch for SNES and NES roms. Install VC N64 titles on sysnand w/sigpatches. Same with NDS (In case you don't have one) and Wii. And... having 259 VC games is just plain insane. If I were you I'd stick with emulators, for real.

Reactions: DocAmes1980

03bgood

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why not release an update on the Wii U that gives you up to eight Home Menu layouts, like the 3DS? Then I could manage between two or more USB storage devices easier. Like make a layout for NES, SNES, N64, GBA, DS, and TG-16 games, another for Wii games, and another for eShop and Wii U (retail) games. That works so well with my N3DS, I have two SD cards; one for VC games and 3D Classics, and the other for eShop and 3DS (retail) games.

Hate to say it, but I'm a collector of VC games. Just like there are people who collect physical stuff like magazines, cards, and coins. I want to collect every VC game that is released and I don't care how good or bad the game is. At least my children and grandchildren will have a bunch of retro games to play. Like how kids of the late 20th century had parents and grandparents who kept vinyl records for several decades.

Last edited by 03bgood,

RemixDeluxe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
At first I thought this was about the 3DS. I'm impressed to know someone even hit the 300 title limit regardless of the quality of the titles installed. If I could give you a medal I would.

(this is not suppose to be insulting or sarcasm, I'm truly impressed.)

DocAmes1980

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why not release an update on the Wii U that gives you up to eight Home Menu layouts, like the 3DS? Then I could manage between two or more USB storage devices easier. Like make a layout for NES, SNES, N64, GBA, DS, and TG-16 games, another for Wii games, and another for eShop and Wii U (retail) games. That works so well with my N3DS, I have two SD cards; one for VC games and 3D Classics, and the other for eShop and 3DS (retail) games.

That sounds so needlessly complicated.

DocAmes1980

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nintendo themselves, I believe it was like on FW 9.2 or something like that.

More than anything else, I just wish titles were able to be alphabetized. I put all my titles in folders labeled "A-F", "G-L", etc. However I don't bother to alphabetize them in their respective folder. F'ing stupid that Nintendo didn't implement that.

03bgood

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
More than anything else, I just wish titles were able to be alphabetized. I put all my titles in folders labeled "A-F", "G-L", etc. However I don't bother to alphabetize them in their respective folder. F'ing stupid that Nintendo didn't implement that.
Yeah, that would be nice.

I really hope the Switch will increase the limit of installed games from 300 to like 3,000! All of the VC and eShop games carried over (if that happens) will make around 500-600 games and 3,000 would be just too generous and since the only physical games will be NS cards, I think Nintendo should do that for the NS.

Last edited by 03bgood,

ClayClaymore

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
Hate to say it, but I'm a collector of VC games. Just like there are people who collect physical stuff like magazines, cards, and coins. I want to collect every VC game that is released and I don't care how good or bad the game is. At least my children and grandchildren will have a bunch of retro games to play. Like how kids of the late 20th century had parents and grandparents who kept vinyl records for several decades.

See, you're setting yourself up for failure by devoting an entire collection to Virtual Console games. There's a reason why people collect physical media and not digital crap. You can't rely on digital content to live on forever. You're just setting yourself up to be pissed off when Nintendo decides not to make the Nintendo Switch backwards-compatible.

And you should care whether a game is bad or not because if it's bad, then you're just wasting money. I get that you're on welfare and you don't care, but you should be spending that money on improving your life or even that cartoon thing you've always wanted to do. But no, I guess to you, a digital copy of Street Fighter 2010 is more important.

Frankly, I think the proper term for you is not "collector", but rather "hoarder." And saying that you're a "collector" is you trying to justify your unhealthy obsession and spending on digital crap.

And you children and grandchildren....heheheh, yeah okay.

FoxofGrey

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
See, you're setting yourself up for failure by devoting an entire collection to Virtual Console games. There's a reason why people collect physical media and not digital crap. You can't rely on digital content to live on forever. You're just setting yourself up to be pissed off when Nintendo decides not to make the Nintendo Switch backwards-compatible.

And you should care whether a game is bad or not because if it's bad, then you're just wasting money. I get that you're on welfare and you don't care, but you should be spending that money on improving your life or even that cartoon thing you've always wanted to do. But no, I guess to you, a digital copy of Street Fighter 2010 is more important.

Frankly, I think the proper term for you is not "collector", but rather "hoarder." And saying that you're a "collector" is you trying to justify your unhealthy obsession and spending on digital crap.

And you children and grandchildren....heheheh, yeah okay.
Exactly Clay. Also for the record 03bgood all you have to do is install custom firmware onto your 3DS. The process is so fucking simple, even a simple man child like you would be able to do it at this point. Or even if that's too complicated, do something like a browser homebrew exploit. There are multiple ways on to actually using virtual console other than through Nintendo that I see you begging them for it as a bit repetitive and useless. Also may I mention that you can use whatever game you want so that you don't have to wait for Nintendo to release it?

D

Deleted User

"I want all VC games"
Oh come on. Don't make a post that you can easily solve just to waste everybody's time, especially if you are just going to say "NO I WANT ALL THE VC GAMES EVEN SHIT ONES".

Use a emulator or something

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    A @ anotherthing: The Nintendo servers are going down in 9 days anyway.