Gaming Puyo Puyo Tetris Player's Guide (please contribute)

Sonic Angel Knight

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I know this is a popular game and I am looking for more games to play on my switch so I am considering this one since is on the lower price side of things. I don't have the game yet but I am thinking about it. The problem is that I am not good at puzzle games. :(

I have played tetris before, no, not "went out and bought a game" but I did receive a orginal xbox with games from a friend of my brother's and tetris was a game on there i tried and disliked. I just can't keep up with the fast paced, reflex, dexterity and adaptive gameplay it demands, especially if the goal is a high score. At the same time, the set of games also came with sonic mega collection + which had Dr.Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine, basically this is a localized version of Puyo Puyo game for the genesis in 1993, snes also got one which was called Kirby's avalanche or Kirby's ghost trap (If you lived in Europe) I never played the kirby game but the bean machine game i know a bit more cause it was featured on many sonic compilation games.

I don't really like tetris but puyo puyo isn't any easier. One of the reason why I played it more was cause the there was a goal other than obtaining a high score, there was someone to win against, and I wanted to see how it ends. Is basically a game with a story and the only way to see the ending is to beat it. Problem is it means to get good.

So far I have tried playing it on 3DS that started to remind me how much I didn't like puzzle games, but I suppose is just not knowing enough about them. So basically this thread is dedicated to having you all post some advise for anyone who is new to either game. If you are a godlike tetris player, think you have some great strategies of winning? Please share some tips to help. If you are a great Puyo Puyo player that know sick setups for long chain combos, share some hints too.

There is also a fusion mode i haven't tried yet, the tutorial was in japanese, so all i can do is watch the demonstration, I only been trying the story game and so far I been stuck playing tetris with Tee against some nerdy dog. (Yes i said nerdy out of anger):ninja:

I just want to be good enough to finish the story mode. Is not for competition against players online, so is not meant to use against anyone.

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
The story mode actually gets pretty hard, so good luck with that. After you fail a mission three times, it adds a menu option to skip the chapter though. For Tetris, keep in mind that it's very important to focus on things that will actually send garbage lines: making combos, clearing 4 lines at once or doing T-Spin line clears being the main ways to do so. It doesn't matter how fast you can clear single lines, because that doesn't attack your opponent (unless it's in a combo). Try learning the 2-wide combo, that served me very well in the Story mode and it's quite easy to do. Just make a 2-wide gap on the left or ride side of your Tetris stack, build up high and then dump pieces into the 2-wide gap, making sure you clear at least one line with every piece.

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
"I don't like Pizza and I am allergic to tomatoes, but Pizza is so popular and I want to eat something different on my home.

I tried once this American Pizza, it is a localized more fatty version of the original Italian Pizza. It still felt terrible and it made me itch all night.

Do you have any advice?"

Advice: Better stay with hamburgers, but without tomato.

Reactions: Risingdawn

iAqua

Trophies
Country
United Kingdom
"I don't like Pizza and I am allergic to tomatoes, but Pizza is so popular and I want to eat something different on my home.

I tried once this American Pizza, it is a localized more fatty version of the original Italian Pizza. It still felt terrible and it made me itch all night.

Do you have any advice?"

Advice: Better stay with hamburgers, but without tomato.
what?

Risingdawn

Tempallica
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
He's implying that if puzzle games where pizza then it doesn't matter what type of pizza it is, if you don't like it it will still taste like ass.

TC there's nothing wrong with disliking something, find a game you do enjoy and play that. Tetris and puyo are about as refined puzzling as you are likely to find and if puzzle games aren't your thing then you will never like these games.

Reactions: iAqua

Sumea

Disco Ninja Frog
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
There is already PuyoPuyo Wiki with full tutorials for people who want to learn techniques for puyopuyo.
https://puyonexus.com/wiki/How_to_Play_Puyo_Puyo

As for tetris I am sure there is also same types of things Tetris "damage" is also very straightforward which does not change your situational usually at all. So just play tetris well and you succeed in tetris as well.

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
It's called sarcasm. And to be honest...it's a rather valid analogy to boot. I mean...I haven't played the switch version, but assuming it's the same game as on the wiiu, then the game has you roughly alternating about as much playing tetris and puyo puyo*. For someone who likes puzzles, that's pretty nice (as they have enough similarities to like). And what use is it to play a game for the story if you don't like the mechanics to begin with? :unsure:

@Sonic Angel Knight : I don't mean offence, but...wouldn't it be better to just watch some youtube-video's on how the game ends if you want to know? Of course getting good is an option, but liking a game is pretty much an assumed basic pillar of motivation. I understand not everyone loves the feeling of stacking your pieces up nicely (and fast enough) so it'll chain up combo's or makes blocks disappear faster than they stack up...but if you don't, then please...go play a game you do like. It's not like anyone's forcing you, right? :unsure:

*note: I don't know Japanese, so I basically clicked some buttons until some anime stuff happened and I entered a game. I can't but assume that what I played was the storyline. And I certainly believe it gets up to a brutal level...

Last edited by Taleweaver,

Sonic Angel Knight

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
don't mean offence, but...wouldn't it be better to just watch some youtube-video's on how the game ends if you want to know? Of course getting good is an option, but liking a game is pretty much an assumed basic pillar of motivation. I understand not everyone loves the feeling of stacking your pieces up nicely (and fast enough) so it'll chain up combo's or makes blocks disappear faster than they stack up...but if you don't, then please...go play a game you do like. It's not like anyone's forcing you, right?
The reason why I am playing the game isn't cause is popular. Is be cause i wanted to try something new, I'm not a stranger to both tetris or puyo puyo. I was curious if i dislike the game cause i was bad at it. Not cause is not fun. I wanted to give the benefit of the doubt and try again. It is a fact that i did play more puyo than tetris when i played it with my brother on the xbox with sonic mega collection. I was able to win against him a lot cause the game gear had a puzzle mode where you must solve premade setups under specific conditions.

I was thinking of getting this to play with my brother since he like tetris more, then is be something we both can enjoy together. I want to least be able to play it well by completing story mode.

Last edited by Sonic Angel Knight,

Youkai

Demon
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I can kind of understand the problem but for me it is different

I absolutely love tetris and compared to everyone I know I am incredibly good at it (doesn't stop me from loosing online sometimes)

but I am incredibly bad at puyo and have no idea how this is supposed to work / how I am supposed to think like 10 moves ahead withouth knowing whats going to come as I can not build hugh hugh stacks that can fall into each other like that ... my biggest combo ever was 3 xD

So I am play pyo tetris story mode and get 3* at all twteis level and 1* or loose all the time at the puyo level always hoping for the next level to be tetris ^^V

Sonic Angel Knight

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I can kind of understand the problem but for me it is different

I absolutely love tetris and compared to everyone I know I am incredibly good at it (doesn't stop me from loosing online sometimes)

but I am incredibly bad at puyo and have no idea how this is supposed to work / how I am supposed to think like 10 moves ahead withouth knowing whats going to come as I can not build hugh hugh stacks that can fall into each other like that ... my biggest combo ever was 3 xD

So I am play pyo tetris story mode and get 3* at all twteis level and 1* or loose all the time at the puyo level always hoping for the next level to be tetris ^^V

Don't worry, I haven't finished story mode either. I think most players who wasn't trying to be serious about the game hasn't. I got the game on ps4 and switch (In english thanks) and I spend more times watching replays than actually playing. :P

I like watching them but I feel better if i can actually do that. As for some advice, Dr.Robotnik mean bean machine was available on Sega Mega Drive, but there exist a game gear and master system port. This the additional feature is a new puzzle mode which have the player solve various missions. It kinda helps to show players the type of ways the board can be setup to score big. The only problem is being able to replicate such things during the important moments. Even if most players practice alone in exercise mode, when you play against another player, you immediately forget almost everything due to pressure, panic and stress Lol. :ninja:

Add this game to the hall of fame for being another "Easy to learn, difficult to master" Category. As a game I appreciate it for what it is being a combination of two things in one making it appear more than it actually is, and actually bringing back Puyo to the international market even though is been out in Japan way too long before localization. I do wish they had put the puzzle mode back in but I assume the tutorial mode would have been enough. Story mode helps but I think the only problem players have is maybe having more focus on one type of play than the other. The story mode is supposed to be balanced to introduce all the game modes and help all players learn how to gradually get better.

In the end, is up to the player to "PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE" which I get but even with all that can't really help how some games turn out cause of the random pieces that come. :)

cearp

瓜老外
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Tuvalu
one of the ds puyo games i played had a training/school mode, that teaches you techniques? :)
i forget which one, but, worth a look maybe

isoboy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I consider myself average to above average at playing Tetris. I'm fast. I've lost a lot but I've beaten way higher ranked players than myself. Probably a lot of luck. I barely play it online though, the only trick I have for enjoying that game is playing for my own enjoyment. No competition, just play the single player I guess. I hadn't played it since release but I actually fired it up to do one online match the other day. Totally killed the guy/girl and stopped. Leave it on a high note!

Reactions: Sonic Angel Knight

Eddypikachu

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Here's a website where you can mess around and test out unique puyo chains to see what works, what doesn't, how to effeciently use space etc https://puyonexus.com/chainsim/

Here's a page with a bunch of different established forms that you can pick and choose from to use this one has regular forms https://puyonexus.com/wiki/List_of_Chaining_Forms keep clicking on the forms you want to see and images will pop up, click on them and it'll take you to the chainism I linked to you in the beginning and you can set it off(pop it) and see how that form works, you can even build on top of that form in the simulator to try to see how big you can make it yourself

Here's an overview of competitive puyo puyo explained like a fighting game https://twitter.com/rockraining/status/869709817887240194?lang=en

Here's a nice beginner video on the concept chaining

Here's a playlist containing all the tutorial videos Sega America posted for puyo puyo tetris
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLrO3QYLj4hS8Bg9DmV0TvtdfCgYX-rPl3

Here's where to learn about garbage management (what to do when your opponent sends over garbage to your board) https://puyonexus.com/wiki/Garbage_Management:_Digging_and_Counters

Once you get chaining down then you'll move on to getting better at being able to simultaneously building your chain while also looking at your opponents board to see their chain and react based on what your opponent is building

Last edited by Eddypikachu,
Reactions: Sonic Angel Knight
D

Deleted User

The story is simple. If you can't beat it 3-stars, go for what you can. The best way to get better is to watch the sega tutorials and practice. hopefully this thread will spark your interest for online!

Last edited by ,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4N-3vv4kzdk