Hardware Purchasing New PSP Battery, Suggestions

grifterb

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I noticed that my PSP 3004 battery does not last as long as it used to. I do not know if there is anything that I can do to fix this problem, but I assume that as is the case with all batteries this one has reached the end of it's lifespan.

Apparently there are some 3rd party products out there as well as some rare 1st party ones. Now, there are some pictures of the alternatives that I have. I could not find any english reviews (or any reviews at all) for any of these. If you are familiar with any of these products please inform me, so that I can purchase the right one.

By the way, if I am not mistaken 1000 series and 2000/3000 series use different batteries, so these ones must be 2000/3000 batteries. If there is any mistake please let me know:

2400-mAh-3-6V-%C5%9Farj-edilebilir-li-ion-pil-sony-psp-slim-2000-3000.jpg

1200-mAh-3-6V-%C5%9Farj-edilebilir-pil-de%C4%9Fi%C5%9Fim-sony-PSP2000-3000-konsolu.jpg

200x242_thumb_aks277.jpg

Which one of these would you recommend?

Regene

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Don't get any of those. Sony discontinued PSP batteries years ago so those official ones you posted will probably be dead & bloated since it hasn't been charged for years. I bought an unopened official Sony battery in 2014 and was bloated and didn't work. Just my personal experience. The first battery you posted with the white big letters idk since I never bought one of those. I've heard people having issues with those. It's a trial and error thing. You might get one that works or you don't. And the capacity is 2400 mAH? That's fishy. To get that amount in a PSP battery, the battery has to be bigger like the PSP 1000 battery. So those slim batteries that claims to have 2400 or 3400 mAh capacity is something to stay away from.

The battery that I'm using for almost a year now is the Lenmar brand. I have the 1000 mAh battery for my PSP 2000 (will also work for the 3000) and it's great.

GSZ300S_1.jpg

In case you have issues with a Lenmar PSP battery from Amazon, you can exchange it within the first 30 days from Amazon or you can use the one year warranty from Lenmar itself. It is a bit pricey compared to those cheap generic $5 batteries you see around Amazon & ebay. I have this Lenmar battery and a Lenmar Ipod 5th generation battery so I never had any issues with the Lenmar brand. Now in Amazon.com the slim Lenmar battery did get a 3 1/2 out of 5 rating out of 60+ reviews so a few had issues but can be easily fixed as I mentioned before regarding the exchange or warranty.

The other option is getting a used Sony Official battery on ebay but they are expensive. Like around $30. The issue sometimes is that there are counterfeit Sony batteries so it's hard to tell who to trust. Hope this helps.

Last edited by Regene,

grifterb

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Thanks for the reply, but now I am also thinking about another alternative, a Sony USB charger. The problem is, I am not sure if the USB charging speed of psp is enough to keep up with the depletion speed.

ilovecookiez

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Those batteries that advertise themselves as having over 1600mAh are full of crap, I once got one of those and my PSP turned off even though the battery was reporting to be at half capacity. Turns out they spoof the capacity so the PSP thinks it's got like 8 hours when it actually has less than two. That wouldn't be so bad if it didn't mess with the PSP's auto hibernating feature.

Anyway I've just fixed my PSP after letting it collect dust for half a year but now my battery's acting strange. I've been thinking of replacing the cells like some people do with laptop batteries, has anyone tried that with the PSP's battery?

EmBlaze

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I have a 3800 mAh battery with a Pikachu on it lol. At least it works for like ~2-3 hours...

But it's a bit bloated, and I'd love to get a better one if those were readily available for a reasonable price.

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Cameron Sina apparently still has true high capacity battery for 1000s (https://www.ebay.it/itm/172033273726) and 2/3000s (https://www.ebay.it/itm/171919104715)... so does Patona on their own website (shipping costs are huge, sadly)

I have good personal experience with their 4-cell O3DS battery, unfortunately even when buying reputable brands (and the label isn't fake) it's all a gamble on how old they are...

EmBlaze

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Cameron Sina apparently still has true high capacity battery for 1000s (https://www.ebay.it/itm/172033273726) and 2/3000s (https://www.ebay.it/itm/171919104715)... so does Patona on their own website (shipping costs are huge, sadly)

I have good personal experience with their 4-cell O3DS battery, unfortunately even when buying reputable brands (and the label isn't fake) it's all a gamble on how old they are...
Yeah, unfortunately those are still not really worth the cost for me. I mean I don't have a real need for one (especially with AC USB cable and power bank). Canadian eBay has cs-sp112xl for $20 with $60 shipping lol.

However, I do regret not being tricked by the inflated mAh online, and choosing the Pikachu instead of a (more) genuine 1200mAh PSP battery on Taobao when I was in China.

In the end, I think I'll just stick with it, unless some awesome deal that you just have to take appears...

hoodhippo

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.sciencedaily.com
XP
Country
United States
Ive seen a bunch of reviews and videos of people actually cutting them open to see the true battery. Its all bullshit, i wanted to get one but after reading reviews, people say to buy a few of them because one or two of them wont work and one will only last 5 minutes. thats why i want to do a external battery mod, cutting open a fake bs battery like op displayed and connecting it to a compatable phone battery etc. and place it in the UMD part of the psp. right now im using a external battery used to charge phones, and i have a USB connected psp charger, so i just plug my psp into it and i can play for hours and hours, best fix if you dont want to mod anything.

https://www.amazon.com/Blackweb-Pow...2048&sr=8-4&keywords=blackweb#customerReviews (battery)

https://www.amazon.com/Genuine-Data...id=1532372135&sr=1-6&keywords=psp+usb+charger (psp usb charger)

EmBlaze

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Well my dad is going back to China in a few months, so I'll probably get my uncle to buy this for him to bring back:
https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?sp...1206OYf&id=24450684567&ns=1&abbucket=3#detail

There are even cheaper ones, but at least this claims to be 100% genuine... I believe I did get a genuine 3DS XL battery for 33 yuan before, so it's not unrealistic.

Either way, I won't get to know for sure until November. I'll try to remember to share my experience then.

Peanut_BR

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I "made" my battery. I used the board of a Chinese one and connected to an original 1600 battery cell that has the same size as the psp battery.it even fits inside the case without harming anything

EmBlaze

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Well, I just played my PSP on lowest brightness and volume (not muted) for ~1 hour on the new battery from China. The game was Yu-Gi-Oh! ARC-V Tag Force Special and it lost only 13%. On visual inspection, the battery looks genuine.

Looks to be pretty much the same as my original battery, which is great! Don't feel like measuring the remaining time, but I'll try to let you guys know if the low power indicator works (that helps prove it's real right [correct me if I'm wrong]).

Last edited by EmBlaze,

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I'll try to let you guys know if the low power indicator works (that helps prove it's real right [correct me if I'm wrong]).
Well, by itself that doesn't prove much - the power light just starts flashing at 5% or something (which is at least in part measured by the battery's electronics)

But it is true that poor-spec batteries (and/or high load devices) have a tendency to drop out at low percentages (the famous iPhone speed-reducing scandal was caused by a valid, although questionably concealed, attempt to prevent this - see Lumia 950 for the opposite example where you have to throw out otherwise fine batteries every few months)

Peanut_BR

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Well, I just played my PSP on lowest brightness and volume (not muted) for ~1 hour on the new battery from China. The game was Yu-Gi-Oh! ARC-V Tag Force Special and it lost only 13%. On visual inspection, the battery looks genuine.

Looks to be pretty much the same as my original battery, which is great! Don't feel like measuring the remaining time, but I'll try to let you guys know if the low power indicator works (that helps prove it's real right [correct me if I'm wrong]).

Do you have the url where you bought it?

EmBlaze

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Do you have the url where you bought it?
I posted it earlier, but here it is again: https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?sp...1206OYf&id=24450684567&ns=1&abbucket=3#detail

Unfortunately, I haven't really played my PSP enough to see the indicator light. Hopefully I'll remember as I get to it.

*Well I got to it alright, the indicator light blinks after at least 7 hours of solid play time and weeks of standby. Could've seen it sooner if I didn't charge my PSP early (as usual).

Last edited by EmBlaze,
Reactions: Peanut_BR

Peanut_BR

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I posted it earlier, but here it is again: https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?sp...1206OYf&id=24450684567&ns=1&abbucket=3#detail

Unfortunately, I haven't really played my PSP enough to see the indicator light. Hopefully I'll remember as I get to it.

*Well I got to it alright, the indicator light blinks after at least 7 hours of solid play time and weeks of standby. Could've seen it sooner if I didn't charge my PSP early (as usual).
I will try to buy it, just hope I can put the site in english and select my country for shipping. Hahaha

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

EmBlaze

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I will try to buy it, just hope I can put the site in english and select my country for shipping. Hahaha

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
No guarantees, maybe I got lucky. Hopefully you'll find the right battery regardless.

To clarify on the 7 hours, most of it was playing a GBC ROM on MasterBoy with lowest brightness and audible sound. It was a rough estimate, not doing another long gaming session any time soon most likely.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy: *teleports behind you* "Nothing personnel, kiddo" +1