PS1/2 PSX modchip confusion. Help please?

Metoroid0

Samus Aran
OP
Trophies
Website
www.metroidwiki.org
XP
Country
Japan
First of all, it's fat model:

PlayStation
SCPH-9002 (PAL)

Motherboard
PU-23

Mdchip
12c508a
c4/p

Now here is the picture of how the modchip is soldered on the mother board
UXeY6Ha.jpg

SNrxrdv.jpg

Now the thing is, the burnet cd's dont load....why, whats whong with this and what can i do to make it work?

Thanks!

retrofan_k

Trophies
XP
Country
Belarus
Provide more info maybe???

1) Do your original discs load?

2) What is the condition of the CD laser? These are 15+ year old systems now and lasers will need replacing and always use high quality recordable media.

3) The installation looks a bit messy with the wires, could be a lot more tidy.

Metoroid0

Samus Aran
OP
Trophies
Website
www.metroidwiki.org
XP
Country
Japan
Provide more info maybe???

1) Do your original discs load?

2) What is the condition of the CD laser? These are 15+ year old systems now and lasers will need replacing and always use high quality recordable media.

3) The installation looks a bit messy with the wires, could be a lot more tidy.

1) originals load.

2) laser reads from first run, its cleaned, it reads audio and originals, and burned discs reads but only to playstation logo part. I have few burnet discs, all of them reads to ps logo and it stops there but some have letters scrambled and some copies displey normal logo.

As for 3, do you need better shot to where wires are soldered?
I didnt do the mod, if i did it would look perfect. i bought it on a flee market for 2€, only thing that was wrong was capacitor on power pcb that i changed...except that all looks fine...except i cant get my copies to load.....maybe my copies are bad idk???

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

As for recorable media, i use Verbatim CD-R 80 min. 52x 700mb

rg

Trophies
XP
Country
1) originals load.

2) laser reads from first run, its cleaned, it reads audio and originals, and burned discs reads but only to playstation logo part. I have few burnet discs, all of them reads to ps logo and it stops there but some have letters scrambled and some copies displey normal logo.

As for 3, do you need better shot to where wires are soldered?
I didnt do the mod, if i did it would look perfect. i bought it on a flee market for 2€, only thing that was wrong was capacitor on power pcb that i changed...except that all looks fine...except i cant get my copies to load.....maybe my copies are bad idk???

As for recorable media, i use Verbatim CD-R 80 min. 52x 700mb

do your backups load on a emulator?

rg

Trophies
XP
Country
Those are the ones i used. Do you happen to know a proper way to burn psx cd's?
i never had psx or did that for psx...

I burned them the way i burn wii games...

If i remember correctly there is no big secret to it, but i would use imgburn to do it.

But if the same burned CD runs on a emulator then we are climbing the wrong tree.. but give it a try..

Reactions: Metoroid0

Metoroid0

Samus Aran
OP
Trophies
Website
www.metroidwiki.org
XP
Country
Japan
If i remember correctly there is no big secret to it, but i would use imgburn to do it.

But if the same burned CD runs on a emulator then we are climbing the wrong tree.. but give it a try..
Oh you mean CD i burned do they work on emulator! i thought you meant isos i used to burn cd's. i will try.

Yes i always use imgburn for Dreamcast, wii..whatever, and now for PSX....

Yup, CD's i burned work on emulator! (ePSXe)

dilav

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh you mean CD i burned do they work on emulator! i thought you meant isos i used to burn cd's. i will try.

Does t load with swap trick?
Try holding reset for 3(?) seconds

Metoroid0

Samus Aran
OP
Trophies
Website
www.metroidwiki.org
XP
Country
Japan
I managed to get it work when i burned it using Alcohol 120% -->RAW DAO --> Enable Buffer --> Play Station Datatype and it burned at 42X the speed by accident, i did not saw, and it reads just fine....

Sorry for bothering you all, but it seems that Discs burned with ImgBurn did not work for me, only Alcohol 120% burning software i guess...
I never had PSX so im new to this all, but i remember Alcohol was popular back in the cd burning days, so i decided to go old style method. At first i thought i have no mod chip cause i used imgBurn as sugested across internet, but that did not worked for me i guess.

Thanks anyway to all!

Does t load with swap trick?
Try holding reset for 3(?) seconds
I tried swap trick, i dont know how to do it haha x)

mr_lunar_magnet

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

What speed are you burning them at, I've had issues with Dreamcast and my PSX reading them above 4x speed.

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
so "burn at low speed" is probably just a myth.
It was true when a modded PS1 (and maybe you had an early model with the self-melting optical drives) was the coolest thing to have and Cd burners were racing to the highest reasonably advertisable speed, nowadays it's much more likely that your optical drive and discs are actually optimized more for their highest speed instead of the slow ones!

Reactions: raulpica

raulpica

With your drill, thrust to the sky!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
It was true when a modded PS1 (and maybe you had an early model with the self-melting optical drives) was the coolest thing to have and Cd burners were racing to the highest reasonably advertisable speed, nowadays it's much more likely that your optical drive and discs are actually optimized more for their highest speed instead of the slow ones!
Back then it wouldn't be an issue either since most burners did 8x maximum :P

Metoroid0

Samus Aran
OP
Trophies
Website
www.metroidwiki.org
XP
Country
Japan
What speed are you burning them at, I've had issues with Dreamcast and my PSX reading them above 4x speed.
Well my Dreamcast is made in Japan, its rev1...idk if that has anything to do with it... Anyway, as for DC burns, i burn them in ImgBurn with some kint of Imgburn patch so it can see cdi/gdi images and @ 15X speed. I would burn slower but my cd burner can only do 16X minimum, where my old one (Pionit) could do it @ 1X minimum!!! (im so sad it broke, it was so good, i abused it to the max).

Anyway, PlayStation burns are 16X also (min for me...although i wonder if i can override that limitation or is it physical thing) but i burned first one today by acident as 42X and it works like a charm, no problems what so ever!
All images i did with ImgBurn fail to load. Maybe its ISO, idk, but i dont think so...

From the installation diagram it looks like it's a Multimode 2.x.

I've had more luck when burning at 24x than 4x, so "burn at low speed" is probably just a myth.
Multimode 2.x. so what does that exactly mean for me? Are there any differences in PSX chips...i mean practical differences?

Metoroid0

Samus Aran
OP
Trophies
Website
www.metroidwiki.org
XP
Country
Japan
Well on CD's i use its saying "52X"
9PVAi8P.jpg

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Black_Manta_8bit @ Black_Manta_8bit: hey