Hacking PSVita 3.50 TN-V11 - How to install SNES, and ROMS

mr.homebrew

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I recently traded a modded original "classic" xbox for PS Vita with intentions to mod the Vita for SNES games on the go. The person I got it from had already updated the Vita to 3.50. After about a day of reading forums, testing I did make some progress, but can't seem to the get the emulators going.

My Install Details bellow:

-> I purchased, and downloaded "Ape Escape". From what I read this should work for 3.36, 3.50 in USA/Canada for both the Vita, and the PS TV.

-> I downloaded, and installed QCMA on my PC.

-> I ran the game, and save a couple test saves to get an idea of the "saves" folder structure.

-> I deleted those test saves, downloaded the exploit game save, and copied to the save folder using QCMA and a usb cable to the Vita.

-> I tried to start the save, but continuously failed on me with an error. After more research I found that I need 660 files installed via the recovery menu if they have not been installed on the Vita before.

-> Copied the 660 files to the TNV folder, relaunch the ape escape game, and this time held the Right Bumper when selecting the game save. Went into advanced, and installed the 660 files. To my surprise it landed me in a different interface that I later found out to be the "PSP menu". At this point I am getting a little excited because I'm pretty it is now unlocked.

-> I then spent countless hours following many guides on how to copy homebrew to the Vita, and trying to figure this part out, but have had only a little luck. I found a FTP application packaged up inside an iso that lets me FTP the Vita when it is running. Tested the FTP app successfully. I also found a couple emulators in ISO format, but can't seem to figure out how, or where to place the ROMs to get them to show up in the emulator. I've even tried busting open the ISO, placing the ROMs inside, and repackaging up the ISO with no luck. Any non ISO packaged data appears to be corrupted from the PSP menu.

Help !!!
I would really like to get SNES + ROMs working on this thing. Can anyone provide any links with a working SNES emulator, and instructions on how to install it + roms on a Vita 3.50 TN-V11. Thanks

Reactions: Margen67

mr.homebrew

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I addition to FTP, and a few emulators that I an unable to load roms into, I managed to find a working copy of VHBL in ISO format, but I get a message that there is no homebrew found in /PSP/VHBL after it is launched from psp menu. Do I create a PSP folder off of the ftp root, or does this folder need to be created within the ISO? What format (file structure / extension) would I use for this? Is VHBL maybe where I should be running my emulators?

Where do I create this folder for the homebrew, and what format do I use?

vhbl.jpg

DBoyd9

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I addition to FTP, and a few emulators that I an unable to load roms into, I managed to find a working copy of VHBL in ISO format, but I get a message that there is no homebrew found in /PSP/VHBL after it is launched from psp menu. Do I create a PSP folder off of the ftp root, or does this folder need to be created within the ISO? What format (file structure / extension) would I use for this? Is VHBL maybe where I should be running my emulators?

Where do I create this folder for the homebrew, and what format do I use?

View attachment 18341

I how do i get to your level. I never thought that there would be any emulators in iso form. I can get the psp iso to work no problem but i cannot get the GBA emulators to work at all. i get stuck at the loading screen. If you could not tell i am a noob so what is FTP?

mr.homebrew

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Ok, so ISOs was basically the only way I've be able to get homebrew code to work so far. I've used EBOOT2ISO1_1 / umdgen to accomplish this. This seems to work great for VHBL, FTP, and maybe a file browser, but sucks for everything else.

I did found a great youtube link describing how to package an INSTALL.ZIP file for VHBL along with its "qwerks".

I FTP'd the newly created install files to the PSP\VHBL folder, launched VHBL, ran the INSTALL.ZIP, and it appears to install ok (displays file copy process with no errors), but when I try to launch I get nothing, and when I FTP it creates an item in the PSP\GAME\(HomeBrew Item Name), but it is 0 bytes, not a folder, and almost looks like something prevented it from installing.

So I then tried FTP'ing the same files but unzipped the PSP\GAME\(HomeBrew Item Name) manually, but the main EBOOT.PBP appears to copy, but it won't go. Almost looks like something is preventing FTP copy of EBOOT.PBP files.

So I read DBoyd9's link, and it seems like OneMenu is the way to go. It appears to be "confirmed working", looks great, and will do what I am trying to accomplish. Does anyone have a confirmed working link for OneMenu on 3.50? Any suggestions on installing?

mr.homebrew

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Ok, so I ran with DBoyd9's link. It has people successfully using OneMenu, but with no clear instructions on how to get there. At least as of the time of this post. So I've tried to detail as best as I could how I got there.

So first off I move to the Ark2 exploit instead of the TN-V I was originally using.

Downloaded these two files

OpenMenuV2 Download Link
Ark V2 eCFW for Ape Escape On the Loose Download Link

Extracted the Zip, and the RAR files to their own folders

Added the openmenuv2 folder inside the UCUS986090000 folder. This may work outside of this folder, but this is how I did it.

Transfered this UCUS986090000 save folder to my Vita using QCMA

Triggered the exploit: Start game > load save > load > first entry > press X.

ARK loaded, and let me load Openmenuv2, but no apps were installed in openmenuV2

so I downloaded SNES from here

Extracted the UCJS101040001 (MotorStorm) save game folder, and placed in my save data folder along side with my other U... save game folders.

I repackaged INSTALL.ZIP -> PSP/VHBL/HB/EBOOT.PBP using instructions from the great youtube link in my previous post.

Copied this new UCJS101040001 save game folder with the new INSTALL.ZIP to my vita via QCMA. Note: it displays as motorstorm.

Launched ARK, followed by ONEMenu, press Triangle (got an index error), mashed other buttons, and now triangle brings up the menu option

Enable SCAN SAVES, SCAN VHBL, and restarted ONEMenu from that same Triangle menu

Everything in my VHBL folder now displays in my OneMenu except for the the INSTALL.ZIP I copied over.

Hit the down arrow, and it brought me to a zips section. Clicked on INSTALL.ZIP, and it installed the SNES package I had copied over.

Clicked the UP Arrow to HOMEBREW, and launched my SNES emulator, and it successfully launched.

I still have some emus to install, roms to copy, and some other minor cleanup, but it looks like it is finally working like I had hoped.

As a side note DBoyd9 asked about FTP. FTP stands for File Transfer Protocol, and is a way of transferring files over a network / the internet. I downloaded a homebrew FTP app for the vita that turns it into an FTP server. From the computer you install a FTP client. When both are running you can then type in the IP address of your Vita, connect to it from your PC to file transfer etc... It's basically an alternative to QCMA / Open CMA.

mr.homebrew

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Anyone have any suggestions for low frame rate issues. I've noticed in some places the game slows down to a crawl. Example of this would be Super Metroid when you get the thing that turns you into a ball the "scanner" light from the ceiling drops the frame rate down to 12. I've played around with the different settings within the emulator, but haven't found a perfect solution yet. I'm thinking of searching for / trying another emulator, but wondering if anyone has any suggestions first.

dkaos

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello everyone.
I suppose I'm a noob because I feel like I'm missing something, but dont know what it is...
Im on a 3.50 vita, got ARK for the ape escape exploit, and even figured out how to run homebrew with it using the "INSTALL.ZIP" method with the EBOOT files.
All I wanted to do was run the gameboy advanced emulator to play some old fashioned classics and I was successful and happy.

The only problem that I have now (which is really gonna be annoying if not solved) is that everytime i exit or close out the emulator along with exiting the OneMenu app, I can't simply reopen and start up the emulator again without first installing the whole thing over.:wink:
..n seeing as though i have alot of roms, it takes forever to install. If anyone knows about some configuration or some common knowledge about using this stuff that just don't realize, I ask you kindly to please enlighten and help me.

D

Deleted-355425

Hello everyone.
I suppose I'm a noob because I feel like I'm missing something, but dont know what it is...
Im on a 3.50 vita, got ARK for the ape escape exploit, and even figured out how to run homebrew with it using the "INSTALL.ZIP" method with the EBOOT files.
All I wanted to do was run the gameboy advanced emulator to play some old fashioned classics and I was successful and happy.

The only problem that I have now (which is really gonna be annoying if not solved) is that everytime i exit or close out the emulator along with exiting the OneMenu app, I can't simply reopen and start up the emulator again without first installing the whole thing over.:wink:
..n seeing as though i have alot of roms, it takes forever to install. If anyone knows about some configuration or some common knowledge about using this stuff that just don't realize, I ask you kindly to please enlighten and help me.

reduce the quantity of roms.

dkaos

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
reduce the quantity of roms.
I might've thought that quantity of roms would've had something to do with this, but when I was trying to get the gba emulator running the first time around when I installed it, I only used 3 roms and it still had this problem.
I even tried troubleshooting this problem with another homebrew app which was the "psvitaFTP". It would also give me the same hassle with disappearing and having to be reinstalled every time I reopened the OneMenu.
Also, I did forget to mention one thing. I actually noticed that before I reinstall the homebrew or gba emulator, OneMenu prompts me saying that the stuff is already installed and actually gives the option to "overwrite" or "rename". I 've tried both options and the overwrite does nothing at all but overwrite my previous install. Even when it overwrites, it does not comeback and is nowhere to be found on the OneMenu screen. When I choose the option to rename it, it then installs the homebrew or gba emulator again with adding a number next it's name like a duplicate (gba emulator2).
After the rename option finshes, I can then see, select, and open the homebrew or gba emulator. The problem is now I have an ever increasing number of duplicate installs filling up my memory space somewhere I can't access or manipulate.....:wink: :wink::wink:

D

Deleted-355425

I've not heard of one menu, also are you sending the emulators across with ftp or with opencma?

dkaos

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was using opencma to send the emulators across. ftp doesn't work for some strange reason.
I am however, very happy to say that I found a way to fix my probelm.:D
Since I was able to at least run homebrew with onemenu, I just used the pspFiler to actually go in and see where this emulator was being duplicated and find out why I couldn't see it after restarting onemenu.
So, when I looked at everything in the pspFiler, it turned out that the emulator kept getting installed on the root of the memory card. I deleted all the duplicate emulators and moved the original to the VHBL folder within the PSP folder which by the way, still confuses me because I had never made a VHBL or PSP folder prior...
But anyway, after doing this, I was able to see and launch the gba emulator everytime I reopened onemenu.:yay::yaypsp: :gba:
Thank you so much for trying to help me.
i was also able to use this method to run psp ISOs as well

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: Green name speaks true :P