Gaming psp video transcoder that ACTUALLY WORKS?

codezer0

Gaming keeps me sane
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As the title says,

I can't believe that I've been having this much trouble trying to convert the DVD's I'd want to watch to put them so I could watch on my PSP. I seriously cannot believe that it's been this aggravating to do.

I wish I could say that I was joking when I have tried about a dozen different programs out there that all claim to do it, but then either refuse to, or won't stop crashing long enough to work. PSPvideo9, xilisoft's converter, all of them just keep crashing, or demand that I pay to do the job.

All I want to do, is have my '77 star wars DVD's that I bought ripped so I could play them on my PSP. absolutely every app I've tried refuses to do the job, or just keeps freezing and crashing on itself and failing to do the job.

Is there something out there that actually works to do this? I'm at my wit's end here and ready to yank out the remaining hair I have left on my head because I can't believe it's being this incomprehensibly difficult to do what should be a simple job. :nayps3:

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Any video converter will do, you don't need a dedicated one. I personally used Xilisoft's to great effect, both with PSP and with DS videos, but you can really use any app you want.

codezer0

Gaming keeps me sane
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
xilisoft absolutely refuses to do the job.
psp video 9 refuses to do the job.
they all insist that I pay for a version, or the app just won't stop crashing and not actually do anything.

I wish I was joking. none of them are working.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
What do you normally use for converting video? Just set the resolution to up to 480×272 (no reason to set it any higher, that's the top resolution the PSP can display anyways) and Mpeg-4 (bog-standard mp4).

codezer0

Gaming keeps me sane
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's just it, I don't normally worry about it, because I usually stream to the console I'm playing on, so the PC kinda just takes care of that transcoding job for me. And it's admittedly been a while since I've burned any video stuff onto a DVD as well, so I've almost not bothered installing any.

So I really didn't have any predefined programs installed at all that were meant for this. I do know that it's ridiculous how xilisoft wants to charge me $30~40 just so it will actually read straight from the disc itself rather than expect me to use DVDecrypt first. But event hen, it fails every single time at about 2/3 of the way through and windows has to force close the program.

PSPVideo9 simply refuses to acknowledge ANY of the TS or VOB files produced from dvd decrypter, so that's useless to me.

cracker

Nyah!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
XVID4PSP does a great job at transcoding from/to most formats. 6.x is much better than 5.x but it can be a bit unstable at times and has a nag whenever you add more videos to the queue. Just drag and drop the IFO to the title you want and choose MP4 - PSP. You will need to adjust the settings/filters on non-16:9 video. It has been a while since I used the built-in video player but I think videos have to be 480x272. In the end you will have your MP4/THM pair to drop into the video folder on your MSPD.

codezer0

Gaming keeps me sane
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, handbrake doesn't work because all it gives me is "unsupported data" when actually trying to load it up on the PSP itself.

FFMpeg doesn't work either because the binaries refuse to start.

:cry:

codezer0

Gaming keeps me sane
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
An update... After nearly losing it when I found a supposed software that feigned as if it refused to be uninstalled, I then came across a page from someone that was in a similar situation, and was able to find a profile of settings that allowed it to consistently work for the writer, and I can at least attest are working for me. The person writing the article used a PSP 1k with 6.60, whereas I am using a 3k with 6.20 ProC at the moment.

Here's a link.

Ryupower

Brood
Trophies
Website
techmantis.net
XP
Country
United States
try this
PS Vita: video conversion tutorial (with subtitles support) · Wololo.net

it for the vita

just use the psp video setting
they should be something like (or just try the psp setting option)
  • Sony PSP / PSP Slim & Lite / PSP Go - Normal - (H.264, 29.97 fps, 368x208)
  • Sony PSP / PSP Slim & Lite / PSP Go - High Resolution - (H.264, 29.97 fps, 480x272)
FFMpeg is a commend line app
most converters that use is just a GUI for it

TecXero

Technovert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Handbrake works, just use the Universal preset, change Anamorphic to none, check the Keep Aspect Ratio, and set the maximum height and width to 480x272.

habababa

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
any encoder should do.
make sure that the output video format is h264, main profile level 3.0. resolution can be 368x208 or 480x272 or 720x480, audio format should be mp4a and total bitrate should be less than 768 KBps(audio + video).
most of the time, the audio track dont need reencoding if the source is an mp4 container.

and if i remember right, pmplayer advance lets you play videos of horizontal res less than 720 and vertical res less than 480 that is a multiple of 8. video format restrictions still apply though (plus support for baseline profile?).

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
I use a pirated copy of the latest DVDFab, and it converts everything under the sun, supports TONS of devices, and utilizes GPU cores for extra leverage, cutting encoding times by 300% in most cases. :)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: damn wifi