PSP Retro Emulators

Discussion in 'PSP - Hacking & Homebrew' started by wrettcaughn, Apr 30, 2010.

Apr 30, 2010

PSP Retro Emulators by wrettcaughn at 10:11 PM (132,193 Views / 5 Likes) 468 replies

1. tbb043

Member tbb043 Member

United States
    Close. The Game Gear is more advanced than the SMS (I think the biggest thing is it has more colors), and while there are adapters to play SMS carts on a Game Gear, in general there is no way to play GG games on an SMS. Most emulators are made with this in mind because it's really not harder to implement the GG specs and have both rather than just the base SMS specs and only have that.

2. TecXero

Member TecXero Technovert

United States
    I actually didn't know that. I've never looked that closely at the differences. I just remember the adapter for my poor old Game Gear, and replacing capacitors in the bloody thing.

3. codezer0

Member codezer0 Gaming keeps me sane

United States
    Can someone explain to me which MAME emulator actually works?

I've tried both the likes of FBA and MAME4PSP but I find that even when I use the older GP2X romset that is necessary for the DStwo build of MAME, either it won't recognize any of the ROMs at all (most famously, FBA), or only like 1% of the ginormous collection (MAME4PSP). And I would think the PSP would have enough horsepower to be able to run beat-em-ups like Ninja Baseball Bat Man and TMNT 89, considering the CPS emulator runs AvP damn-near perfect...

I don't have high hopes for getting the likes of Die Hard Arcade to run because that's problematic even on PC; however, I would think some of the older beat-em-ups should play just fine on the PSP, and I'd really like to put 'em on there.

4. ErikPshat

Newcomer ErikPshat Newbie

Russia
  5. TecXero

Member TecXero Technovert

United States
    Runs rather well, good work. Though, the buffer doesn't seem to set properly on the 64MB models. The buffer should go up to 32MB. Not that big of a deal but it will hurt users that compress their ROMs as it'll have to cache ROMs larger than 16MB to their memory stick.

cvskid likes this.
  6. codezer0

Member codezer0 Gaming keeps me sane

United States
    Has there been any work or updates on the CPS1/2/Neo Geo emulators? I remember trying out 2.3.5, and really liked how it implemented cheats... especially on the Neo Geo end because it meant I was finally able to have a more effective way of dealing with those games' troll-y A.I.

However, while it seemed to work okay for CPS 1 & 2 games, the Neo Geo version refused to launch any of the ROMs that were already confirmed working with 2.3.1, or any different ones for that matter. Seeing that I lost the binaries, I ended up having to go back to my back-ups of 2.3.1.

I'll also ask again... is there a retro emulator for the PSP that can at least acceptably play Ninja Baseball Batman? I know that it would probably be too much to ask for something that could play Die Hard Arcade, but if that's possible, I'd be in portable gaming bliss.

7. ceifadorx

Newcomer ceifadorx Advanced Member

Brazil
  8. HaloEffect17

Member HaloEffect17 Billboard Music Aficionado

Canada
    Can someone tell me all the emulators that are signed and work for the PSP-3000? I have GBA and SNES working that are signed... but I am wondering if there is a GBC/GB emulator that is signed as well.

9. flashmanx

Newcomer flashmanx Member

United States
    ok so I fixed my crashed 6.60 pro c firmware by making my own pandora battery and mms. I have a phat 1001 psp running 5.50 prom 4
    I never had problem till 6.60 pro c I will not go back to that.
    Everything is back to normal except snes and gba emulators. I tried the ones I always have used for years and nope and followed a few youtube videos and tried theres and nope.

the snes loads straight to press o to cancel or press x to exit or it loads the boot screen with mario walking over to a ? block and hitting it after that the psp turns off
    the gba takes me to the rom list then when i hit load rom it loads to the save state reset game screen thats it.
    any idea on how to fix that. please.