Hacking PSP Retro Emulators

tbb043

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The Sega Master System and Sega Game Gear are interchangeable. The SGG was designed as a portable SMS. With an adapter, you can play a SGG on the SMS and vice versa (except for games reliant on Cards). They're essentially the same hardware. So designing an emulator to emulate the SGG or SMS, it will also play games for the other. You would have to deliberately block specific games to make your emulator not emulate SGG or SMS games.

Close. The Game Gear is more advanced than the SMS (I think the biggest thing is it has more colors), and while there are adapters to play SMS carts on a Game Gear, in general there is no way to play GG games on an SMS. Most emulators are made with this in mind because it's really not harder to implement the GG specs and have both rather than just the base SMS specs and only have that.

TecXero

Technovert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Close. The Game Gear is more advanced than the SMS (I think the biggest thing is it has more colors), and while there are adapters to play SMS carts on a Game Gear, in general there is no way to play GG games on an SMS. Most emulators are made with this in mind because it's really not harder to implement the GG specs and have both rather than just the base SMS specs and only have that.
I actually didn't know that. I've never looked that closely at the differences. I just remember the adapter for my poor old Game Gear, and replacing capacitors in the bloody thing.

codezer0

Gaming keeps me sane
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can someone explain to me which MAME emulator actually works?

I've tried both the likes of FBA and MAME4PSP but I find that even when I use the older GP2X romset that is necessary for the DStwo build of MAME, either it won't recognize any of the ROMs at all (most famously, FBA), or only like 1% of the ginormous collection (MAME4PSP). And I would think the PSP would have enough horsepower to be able to run beat-em-ups like Ninja Baseball Bat Man and TMNT 89, considering the CPS emulator runs AvP damn-near perfect...

I don't have high hopes for getting the likes of Die Hard Arcade to run because that's problematic even on PC; however, I would think some of the older beat-em-ups should play just fine on the PSP, and I'd really like to put 'em on there.

codezer0

Gaming keeps me sane
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Has there been any work or updates on the CPS1/2/Neo Geo emulators? I remember trying out 2.3.5, and really liked how it implemented cheats... especially on the Neo Geo end because it meant I was finally able to have a more effective way of dealing with those games' troll-y A.I.

However, while it seemed to work okay for CPS 1 & 2 games, the Neo Geo version refused to launch any of the ROMs that were already confirmed working with 2.3.1, or any different ones for that matter. Seeing that I lost the binaries, I ended up having to go back to my back-ups of 2.3.1.

I'll also ask again... is there a retro emulator for the PSP that can at least acceptably play Ninja Baseball Batman? I know that it would probably be too much to ask for something that could play Die Hard Arcade, but if that's possible, I'd be in portable gaming bliss.

HaloEffect17

Hiya!
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Can someone tell me all the emulators that are signed and work for the PSP-3000? I have GBA and SNES working that are signed... but I am wondering if there is a GBC/GB emulator that is signed as well.

flashmanx

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ok so I fixed my crashed 6.60 pro c firmware by making my own pandora battery and mms. I have a phat 1001 psp running 5.50 prom 4
I never had problem till 6.60 pro c I will not go back to that.
Everything is back to normal except snes and gba emulators. I tried the ones I always have used for years and nope and followed a few youtube videos and tried theres and nope.

the snes loads straight to press o to cancel or press x to exit or it loads the boot screen with mario walking over to a ? block and hitting it after that the psp turns off
the gba takes me to the rom list then when i hit load rom it loads to the save state reset game screen thats it.
any idea on how to fix that. please.

BrineBlade

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've been using UO gPSP kai for a while now, but there are two games that never seem to work:

Mortal Kombat: Tournament Edition
Pokemon Pinball: Ruby and Sapphire

I'm using a PSP 3001 with 6.61 PRO C. Is there anything that can make those two games run?

Metoroid0

Samus Aran
Trophies
Website
www.metroidwiki.org
XP
Country
Japan
I've been using UO gPSP kai for a while now, but there are two games that never seem to work:

I'm using a PSP 3001 with 6.61 PRO C. Is there anything that can make those two games run?
Huh, so there is something psp cant do..well what do you know xD

Daeru

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands

I have three different gba emulators on my psp, but none got past the white screen on Mortal Kombat.

Metoroid0

Samus Aran
Trophies
Website
www.metroidwiki.org
XP
Country
Japan
I have three different gba emulators on my psp, but none got past the white screen on Mortal Kombat.
ba isnt perfect on psp. better buy real SP ags-101 and ezflash. i layed castlevania on psp gba emulator, and finished it, but i did has some minor issues with fps, thats why i bought real gba, and its perfect now :)

NANASHI89

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is it possible to add new game engines to NesterJ? The bootleg Famicom port of Triforce of the Gods won't play on it, so I think it might need a new engine...

Sent from my SM-T280 using Tapatalk

NANASHI89

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Also, will cheats work on Picodrive for the PSP? I looked it up via search engine but could not get an answer....

Sent from my SM-T280 using Tapatalk

scroeffie

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
where do i download the newest updates for psp emulators ? snes emulator works but freezes in menu not game menu but the settings menu than black screen

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy: *teleports behind you* "Nothing personnel, kiddo" +1