Hacking PSP Retro Emulators

DJPlace

going hire Ronald McDonald To Gun Down Nintendo.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yeah dgen is not working for me ethier... it keeps giving me.

the game could not be started. (80020148)

and my firmware is 6.39 me 9.7

so let me know what's going on.

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
Can someone who's half competent at wiki editing please compile the usable/best solutions for each system at the top. Initially we only had the best emulators on the list and excluded those which were outdated or undeveloped, but now there's just an epic compilation it makes it a potential minefield for ensuring that people end up with the optimal emulators.

Storm101

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've never even heard of this EmuMaster v3.GX FF XIII Edition before, but it's regarded as the best choice for GB/GBC? I thought Masterboy was, but it seems you've completely removed that (or maybe EmuMaster IS Masterboy?)

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
I've never even heard of this EmuMaster v3.GX FF XIII Edition before, but it's regarded as the best choice for GB/GBC? I thought Masterboy was, but it seems you've completely removed that (or maybe EmuMaster IS Masterboy?)

Emumaster was just a hex edit of Masterboy by someone who had no real coding skills but wanted to claim a shred of glory/fame for himself. It's an aberration from a time when people used to hex edit firmwares to gain fame and you're best off pretending it doesn't exist and just using the last release of Masterboy.

It's like encouraging people to use knock off goods...

Storm101

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I see. Looking into it more it seems to be based off of Masterboy 2.02 anyway, so you should remove this and put Masterboy 2.10 back up.

Another World

Emulate the Planet!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
just ran the IP and i know who made the edits. the person who did so once told me on irc that emumaster was the emu to have. it seems this person did not know the true history of the project. thanks for the information xist.

it looks like masterboy was removed completely, probably under the assumption that emumaster was a true updated version. i'll try to sort it out.

edit::
added it back in for gbx, gg, sms. did i miss anything?

-another world

Another World

Emulate the Planet!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
maybe it should have a place at the bottom of the wiki? i was thinking like a section for hacks/abandoned useless stuff? perhaps its probably just best to leave things that don't work off the wiki entirely?

-another world

redfalcon

GBATemp Member
Trophies
Website
code.google.com
XP
Country
Gambia, The
What about emus such as PSPGBA that weren't updated in ages, and probably have worse compatibility and less features than the newer gpSP version? I also think that one of the Rin GB/GBC Emus doesn't even work on newer firmwares. Leave them there for completness sake?

Another World

Emulate the Planet!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
yeah, that's the idea.

i feel that legit working versions of software should get their place. they are, after all, emulators for the psp. if the wiki title was changed to "The Best Emulation on PSP" then i would agree that such an article should have only the best of the best.

-another world

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
It would still be useful to have a separate block with the best of the best for each system at the top...it would prevent future issues.

Also regarding emumaster, i'm sure you've already seen it via searching but the guy posting this (Rolen) is a well known Gamefaqs user and is the guy who translated Way of the Samurai and Shiren 3 amongst other things -

imnzvb.png

http://forums.qj.net/psp-news-announcements-contests/165382-author-emumaster-hex-editing-fraud.html

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
How immensely tasteful.....I like it at least, and it makes it possible for people to just hit and run the best emulators without having to research which are still relevant and which are outdated :)

Storm101

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Looks great. The descriptions need to be more detailed also. Masterboy still says "plays a few other systems as well". It needs to tell us what the other systems are. Telling us which features gpSPJ removed would also be helpful (I know one of them is 16:9 support).

Another World

Emulate the Planet!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
you can't call a separate project a legacy project just because it is older. a legacy project would be one that is along the lines of the original code but has outdated features that were improved upon or fixed in later revisions. someone may prefer running a different older project for one reason or another. we would need a lot of testing to prove one thing has better "compatibility" than another. if they have different compatibility, even if one is higher, then they will have obvious uses for different users.

here is just one example:
HuE v0.70 - has great compatibility but have found many homebrew projects have issues with it. often crashing the psp by turning it off. this emu is at the top of the list, denoting that its the most recommended.

PSP Hu-Go v1.3.1 fw5x - i've read that it should not have as good of a compatibility, and there are things which were promised but never added. however, it works with the homebrew that failed on HuE. it is at the bottom of the list. in this case, would you not deem it a "legacy" build, according to the discussion you are having above? i feel that it is wrong to classify it as such.

marking which emus are better than others is one thing, and its a good idea for users who are just getting into this hobby. but writing off some as "legacy" or "outdated" just because another claims to be better quickly undermines the point of this wiki article. as i understood it then, and still now, its an article of emulators that run on the psp. not a list of the best of the best. the best of the best idea was left behind when this became a community project and titled "Emulation on PSP".

what i propose is that many things are researched and tested. the important points should be added below each file. for example - "has a very high compatibility", "has widescreen mode", "regarded as the best with save states", or whatever, etc, and so forth. after that the better of the files can be sorted to the top of the list and made bold. this type of approach would help new users, while documenting the important (and often times undocumented) features, and appease those who want the "better" applications highlighted in some way.

-another world

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    also gonna install twilight menu in my r4 flashcard
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    One thing that just occurred to me.... The sound on the 2600 sucked less back then the harsh sound we hear now is from infinitely better speakers we have now, back when the 2600 was new speakers produced a almost muffled sound, like CRTs made old graphics look slightly better.
    I wonder if I could recommend that to some emulation devs that perhaps the sound could use some smoothing out to simulate those old TVs
    I think a few of the early systems could benefit from that, at least up to the 8 bit generation, by the 16 bit generation I think TVs had gotten a lot better in almost every way
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    i dont have an sd card adapter but I have an usb sd card adapter
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Old people games
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    its not the one that comes with the r4
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    doesnt work (my flashcard is from r4isdhc.com)
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    might install ysmenu first
    Try Wood firmware
    For your R4
    It's old but it's the best firmware out for DS stuff
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    it says it only works for the original R4, R4i Gold (r4ids.cn), R4iDSN (r4idsn.com) and Acekard R.P.G.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    nvm it does support mine
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    but why choose it over ysmenu @Psionic Roshambo?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    bc im stupid?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    yea ik im stupid
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
    Just give it a try, but honestly if you have a 3DS you can play DS games without a card just off the internal SD card
    Slightly slower loading but a bit more convenient
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    guys, my fuckin headphones have an out of place speaker
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Did you try wearing them?
    B @ btjunior: @Xdqwerty 16