Hacking PSP problem

Thundermongoose

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So, my partner bought a second hand PSP today but when he brought it home it wouldn't play any of our games, we got this error code when it tried to update the firmware (DRNFFFFFFCD). I checked the firmware and saw that it was on version 2.71, and that it was probably downgraded/hacked to be such. Seeing that it was such an early firmware I figured all might not be lost and looked up ways to install homebrew and play ISO's on it, however all attempts have been thwarted as I get this error code every time I try and start up a program such as Hellcat's Recovery Flasher: "The Game Could Not Be Started (80020148)".

So, TL;DR: Can't play games, can't install new firmware - what the hell did the last owner do to this thing, and is it salvageable?

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
You need to use Keycleaner to unpatch key 5 of your IDStorage. However, since it doesn't appear that your PSP is on CFW you may need to get yourself a Pandora battery and set up Jas0nUK's elfmenu on a Despertar Del Cementerio stick so that you can launch Keycleaner to unpatch that erroneous key. At that point you can update your firmware to 3.52 then 5.00 then 6.xx.

Thundermongoose

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks, I was afraid it would be something like that. I don't think I can be bothered getting a Pandora battery and will just return this to the place where I got it and get another one from somewhere. Thanks for the reply anyhow. :)

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
Admittedly fixing it a couple of years ago would have been much easier...these days the majority of the hacks are very user friendly and most people active on PSP forums don't have much experience with the dirty side of exploits.

If you have no PSP experience getting an exchange is probably a sensible plan.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    I @ idonthave: :)