Hardware psp or gp2x?

blueraja

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's a question of personal taste. In my opinion the 2X looks much better, I really don't like the crappy, cheap PSP design.
Wow...thats the first time I have heard that one, dont get me wrong I love my gp2x and even my old gp32 but both feel more like low end digital camera's the buttons are too close, the screen is too murky and the control stick is rather weak compared to both the psp and the ds. Its great for what it does, but emulation is its only thing, sure there are some nice ones out there for it but the more popular consoles it emulates are available on the psp as well. Appearance wise the gp2x is reminicent of the old gamegear shrunk down to about half size, it plays comfortably for the most part (other than the closeness of the buttons which can be a bit annoying) but like the gamegear it suffers from one major fatal flaw it eats AA batteries like crazy. Yes you can buy rechargeables but I still find it an inconvenience. Wifi is also missing, of course the diehards are quick to point out you can add usb devices so you can add wifi with a usb dongle, of course that means you have it sticking out of the device.

Still like I said its a neat device, and is worth getting as a second handheld, I just dont recommend it as an only handheld.

OrR

Rice-megatron Expert
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
The PSPs battery is an inconvenience. You have to recharge it after it runs out which happens faster than with the 2X and two 2500 mAh rechargables. It's very convenient that you can just pop in the next pair. You can't do that with the PSP.
Wifi is missing, that's right, and the stick isn't great. It's not great as an only handheld but the PSP isn't, either. Your first handheld should always be a DS.
yaynds.gif

cenotaph

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
QUOTE said:
Besides, with the newer games comin out, if it's not booster it's going to be DA with a custom firmware update to support the newer games to overlook the hybrid devhook approach that's flying around right now.

Still does not help TA-082-users (i.e. anyone who'd go out and buy a new PSP) as the SE-firmware doesn't work on those units. It's pretty much Devhook or nothing and atm no development's come out of it in several months, no matter how much people post and hype possible future releases. We'll see.

Semi-offtopic:
I have a friend who wants to get rid of his (non-TA-082) PSP and I'm thinking of buying it, just for SNES emulation if nothing else. Aside from SNES emulators, what would you consider homebrew I'd have to check out, and why?

MaD_mAnIaC

In a mad world, only the mad are sane
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
i think the psp is best overall... just buy whatever suits you. i can tell you about some programs i use frequently on my psp apart from the emus: devhook (for loading new firmwares from memory stick) , portablevnc (allows you to control your windows or linux pc wirelessly. works better than i tought too...) , psplayer (xvid/divx player, can run most xvid/divx videos if they're resolution is lower than 480*272 , if not you'll just have to resize the movie which is pretty fast) , irshell (multi purpose shell & homebrew loader) , pmp mod avc sub mod (h.264 movie player with subtitle support. you have to encode videos to .pmp format first which takes some time , but the quality is amazing, umd video like. and since it uses the hardware decoder it works with the cpu underclocked that gives more battery life) , pspradio (shoutcast receiver)... and there's still some more stuff.

cenotaph

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
http://cgi.ebay.com/Sony-Playstation-PSP-V...1QQcmdZViewItem

Boom, 270$ and its all you need. The same price as it would be in stores, as well. Perfect SNES, Perfect Genesis, Perfect NES, plus so much more.

PSP > GP2X

You mean $334?
tongue.gif
That's what the auction you linked to says. Add shipping and it's up to $364. That's half a PS3, and if that's not expensive for a handheld console... well, then you've got other reference levels than me.

Also, none of those platforms emulate perfectly on the PSP -- it all depends on what you define 'perfect' as. Perfect in my opinion's when every game runs as it did on the original system -- i.e. full speed, correct sound sampling rate and, most important, all games work. SNES for example is imperfect on the PSP in this respect as it does not run full speed and does not generate sounds at the sampling rate the original SNES did (33.2 kHz), plus some games don't run (and probably never will).

I've seen 1.5 PSPs for ~$200, which is still expensive imo.

cenotaph

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Hey i think that the GP2X is just a copy of a PSP in a differnt shape hahah

The GP2X is far from a copy of the PSP. While the PSP was intended to be a gaming device and, to a limited extent, a media device with no community development (software was to be supplied strictly by Sony and Sony-certified vendors), the GP2X was open-source and community from square one. There's never been talk of the GP2X competing commercially with other popular handhelds.

OrR

Rice-megatron Expert
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I'm not sure about the larger homebrew scene, the GP2X one is pretty huge and well organized. More features? Wrong, apart from that it has Wifi. The PSP is faster, that's true, but the difference isn't big when you are mainly interested in emulators because the special graphics hardware is pretty useless for those.

OrR

Rice-megatron Expert
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
If they are ported, yes. That requires them to be open source. Quake, Doom, Duke Nukem, Transport Tycoon and quite a few others are already ported. There is also ScummVM for Lucas Arts adventures. Have a look around http://archive.gp2x.de/cgi-bin/cfiles.cgi to find out what is already ported.

There is a working GBA emulator, now!
smile.gif
It's a port of the PSP GBA emulator gPSP. It's only a quick port at this point but already running quite a few games pretty well. There should be quite some potential to get it very compatible and fast and it looks like ZodTTD and Exophase are planning to explore the possibilities to the fullest so the future looks quite bright. The Playstation emulator is also in active development.
smile.gif

Menacie

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I'd rather go for the PSP tbh, as with the PSP, it's got a nicer screen, you get the odd good game every now and then, and the emulation scene isn't bad on it at all. You could get a 2.5 version on eBay for about £120 and then downgrade that to 1.5

saosin_demo

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
i read in a forum wherein they compared both the gp2x and the psp. someone said that the gp2x is a much better system for multimedia while the psp is best for gaming. how true is this?

No Name Trowa Barton

Namaiki iun-ja naiyo™
Trophies
Website
www.NoNameTrowaBarton.com
XP
Country
United States
i love my psp
NesterJ - full speed NES
SNES TXL - full speed SNES
neogeocd - FULL SPEED NEO GEO CD GAMES
psp Revolution - alot of the mods like in stepmania
PS1P - decent not full speed but playable ps1 emu (FF7 on it runs about 15-20 fps)
N64 emulation in the works (mario 64 is playable)
PSP Quake plays online
SCUMMVM for the psp runs all scumm vm games including full speed Curse of monkey island
DEVHOOK 51
*cough*
web browser
mp3 player with visualsations
location free player
remote play of ps3
RSS FEEDS
PS1 games though the sony store.
picture slideshows.

tons of homebrew check out dl.qj.net

and you can plug in your psp into a tellivision iwth a hardware upgrade.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Sorry for accidentally bending over