Gaming PSP newbie. Planning to get one. Many questions..

Anakir

Project: Melee
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So yeah, just like a few of the other threads.. mine is similar, but in my own way.
tongue.gif

Anyways.. I was never interested in PSP but recently wanted to start playing it just for the sole purpose of playing FF7: Crisis Core. But, I don't only want to play that game, there are many other games as well such as Megaman, FF: Tactics, and Disagaea. Blah blah blah, let's get to the point.
I have read up PSP mods and such, but I'm still confused because there's a wide variety of how to mod a PSP. I heard the most common was the Pandora Battery?
So anyways, instead of buying a second hand PSP, I want a brand new PSP because I don't like second hand stuff unless I know they rarely touched it.

1. I heard that you cannot mod the the new PSPs because Sony changed the motherboard not allowing downgrading firmwares. So does that limit me to a second hand PSP?

2. If not, what method is the best way of modding my PSP. Do I have to flash it? I prefer not to do anything internally.. like soldering and such. If I can mod it by buying accessories (like how DS has flashcarts) and using software updates, I would much prefer it that way. Does the ISO compability vary depending on how you mod your PSP?

3. What's the biggest game so far? How big does Sony plan to release their games as? I heard it was 1.5gb, so does a 4gb/8gb sound good? Because I can get a good deal for 8gb memory sticks.. probably around $60 CAD.

4. How safe is it to play pirated games? Does bricking occur often because of this? And I heard you can unbrick any sort of bricked PSP now, is that true..?

These are the questions I have in mind at the moment.. I hope they were clear and thank you for those who help. I really appreciate it.

myuusmeow

Trophies
Website
google.com
XP
Country
United States
1. Not true, so no, get a new one.

2. Pandora's Battery, yes you do have to flash but all it is is following ediblebird's easy guide, no opening of anything but your battery. You can not use accessories to mod it. (unless you consider buying a Datel Tool Battery to bypass modding your battery) No, as there is pretty much only 1 way to mod your PSP, all the other ways (downgrading with GTA LCS and a lower firmware) eventually lead to CFW.

3. 1.5GB. 1.5GB. Yes, 4 or 8GB is good.

4. Very safe. Never, unless you like *&@@# up and reformat the flash or something. Yes, using Pandora's Battery.

Anakir

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Awesome. Thanks for the feedback. I was asking a friend of mine, he has his PSP modded and he seemed clueless.

I gotta confirm this just in case he messes me up..

He told me Pandora Battery is rare and is ONLY used to unbrick PSP and not to play pirated games. True?
He said that I need at least 1 legit game in order to "trick" the PSP so I can load pirated games. True?
So if I switch to Pandora Battery, does that mean PSP's battery life is only depending on the Pandora Battery's lifespan?

It might just be him because his PSP's quite old and he's been playing it for a while. Probably never bothered to check if there's a new way of modding it.. so yeah. Is what he said true?

TaMs

Randomizer
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
Anakir said:
Awesome. Thanks for the feedback. I was asking a friend of mine, he has his PSP modded and he seemed clueless.

I gotta confirm this just in case he messes me up..

He told me Pandora Battery is rare and is ONLY used to unbrick PSP and not to play pirated games. True?
He said that I need at least 1 legit game in order to "trick" the PSP so I can load pirated games. True?
So if I switch to Pandora Battery, does that mean PSP's battery life is only depending on the Pandora Battery's lifespan?

It might just be him because his PSP's quite old and he's been playing it for a while. Probably never bothered to check if there's a new way of modding it.. so yeah. Is what he said true?
Pandora's battery is needed for installing CFW which allows you to play pirated games and homebrew etc.

Some games need UMD in order to work. (= they don't work in "no umd" mode)

Sry i didn't get your last question. :| anyway you need another psp to turn your battery to pandora's battery. Then you just use it to install CFW and then turn it back to normal battery. Haven't done this myself, because i've launch phat psp, so i never needed pandora's battery.

arctic_flame

GBAtemp ATMEGA8 Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
TaMs said:
Some games need UMD in order to work. (= they don't work in "no umd" mode)

Sry i didn't get your last question. :| anyway you need another psp to turn your battery to pandora's battery. Then you just use it to install CFW and then turn it back to normal battery. Haven't done this myself, because i've launch phat psp, so i never needed pandora's battery.

1. I've never come across a game that requires a UMD in the drive, just Video UMDs

2. If you open the battery and remove the ground pin from the EEPROM, it becomes a pandora's battery.

Anakir

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for the feedback again guys.

TaMs said:
Anakir said:

Well.. I didn't really get this Pandora Battery thing. I'll rephrase my question.

Does the Pandora Battery replace the original PSP's battery? So basically.. my PSP's energy life depends on the Pandora battery that I purchase, correct?

JKR Firefox

Back.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Anakir said:
Thanks for the feedback again guys.

TaMs said:
Anakir said:

Well.. I didn't really get this Pandora Battery thing. I'll rephrase my question.

Does the Pandora Battery replace the original PSP's battery? So basically.. my PSP's energy life depends on the Pandora battery that I purchase, correct?

No, you only use the Pandora long enough to flash your PSP and then you're done with it.

After that, you can use whatever battery and memory stick that you'd like to use. You can pick up a Datel Tool Battery and Memory Stick on eBay which will do the job nicely. After that you can throw it to one side and if you'd like be a good Samaritan and help out your friends with PSP's as well
smile.gif

Anakir

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ohhh. Okay thanks. So that means I have to go buy another PSP battery if I used the original to turn into a Pandora.. I think my friend has a Pandora. Gotta go ask him. Thanks for the input guys! Now I finally understand how this modding thing works.

Riku Akiyama

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You don't HAVE to buy a seperate battery, You can use your current battery and just change it from normal to Pandora, and vice versa.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/@legolambs