OP
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Okay, so we often get people who are looking to get a PSP (either to hack or not), so a chart detailing the differences would be helpful. Here's my preliminary chart...

modelcomparison.gif

However there's also differences you can't really put on a chart, such as how solid the system feels and such like that, so I was thinking maybe a new sticky/guide could be made detailing the differences, and including videos showing the different systems. I've only got a 2000 myself, but I know some people have multiple kinds, so any videos showing the physical differences and a compare/contrast thing would be welcome, if anybody's willing to contribute. I mean just simple stuff, like how it fits in your pocket, showing where the controls/differences are located (such as the video-out on the later models, the moved analog stick on the Go, and the memory stick slot on each model). The OS on the systems are pretty universal, it's mainly the physical and feature differences people would be concerned with.

Nathan Drake

Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.
Trophies
XP
Country
Interesting. Despite the fact that the 1000 model is technically (in both ways) outdated (no video output, lack of mic, no USB charging, etc.), would others still consider it worthwhile to own one? I mean, you're guaranteed a full hack and such.

I guess I need to see what people personally think about them. I like the suggestion for the other part about the videos and such.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
OP
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
It's definitely heavier than the other models, and feels more solid. Compared to my DSi, my PSP 2000 almost feels like there's parts missing inside, with the weight difference. Some people might value that. In addition while nothing official uses the IR, there's homebrew to use your PSP as a remote control for your TV/whatever, and also homebrew to let you use an IR keyboard... but some people may not give a damn about that stuff.

Nathan Drake

Trophies
XP
Country
Basically, the only difference between a 1000 and a 2000 from a general hacking standpoint is that the RAM of the 2000 series can be exploited for the N64 emulator and possibly other things. Otherwise, the system is just lighter and has about two more core features.

Not a huge difference really. I also don't mind a weighter system. A few years of using a DS Phat, then switching to a Lite has told me that I definitely prefer a slightly heavier system. Easier to grip, and a little bit harder to forget that it's in your hands. Cool. If I end up getting the deal that I'm possibly looking at now, it looks like I'll be happy with it.

dib

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
The screen is also much nicer on later models, and the difference in memory is used by more than just the N64 emulator. The entire point to Sony adding more memory was to cut down on load times in games.

There are also plugins that only work with 2000+ like save states.

I believe they also relocated the speakers with the 2000 so it wouldn't be muffled by your hands. And was there a difference with the batteries?

Nathan Drake

Trophies
XP
Country
The battery was just smaller, it didn't actually effect the life of the battery when it came to time. You could put in a 1000 battery for twice the play time, but the battery cover didn't fit on due to the battery being slightly bulkier.

The screen is only nicer in the respect that it's brighter. Not much else. I've played a 3000 quite a few times and I'm pretty sure a dimmer screen won't kill me. I also don't hear about those with 1000 models suffering horrendous load times or missing out on homebrew that is considered imperative for every PSP owner.

Like I said, from everything I've heard and my small amount of experience with PSP's, I don't think I'll mind it much. Plus, I play with the sound off 95% of the time anyways. Just prefer to be able to hear stuff around me. I have to really like the soundtrack to want to have the sound on.

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
I honestly think that far too much is being made of the screen issues....i posted the following pics elsewhere here (not mine btw as i don't have a 3000) and they show how minor the difference really is.

ta63c7.jpg

2zyljzt.jpg

I pretty much use the 1000 exclusively when i'm mobile as it really feels a huge amount more durable (it's got metal in it's frame!). And whilst the Dpad is lower set and the shoulders less clicky that's only a real problem for games that exclusively rely on them (fighters like Darkstalkers and Streetfighter.....camera adjustments in Monster Hunter are fine - the pad still works ok after all it's just less prominent!)

As i said i have both 1000 and 2000 so if we have a 3000 and a Go owner here too we can build up a selection of pics.

prowler

Sony
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
I'll take some pictures of my PSP Go with my mums camera in a bit.
XMB, picture and in game alright?

edit: or unless you're asking for someone with a 3000 and a Go, nevermind >:

fluffykiwi

Trophies
Website
www.gba.shorturl.com
XP
Country
I use a 1000, psp phat model. I like the extra weight, but it has a broken umd drive.

I believe the UMD drive on later models is less complex, and thus less prone to breaking.

As I'm using CFW and putting games on memory card, the broken drive is not an issue, and the only reason I contemplated upgrading was due to the usage of extra memory by some homebrew apps. ComicReader for example can display slightly bigger comics by using the extra memory.

In the end stuck with the 1000, as could not justify giving money for the differences.

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
The UMD drive is if anything worse in later models as the 1000 had a cage whereas the others just had the UMD's rest in situ in a little semi drawer. (plus the 1000 is springloaded)

No...what i meant was that since we cover the gamut of models we can provide custom pics if they're required.

Just a pic of the Go screen with this pic displayed would be fine.

Coto

-
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
But didn´t 1000 series have lower LCD screen res compared to newer models(2000+)? I´ve read that from some psp devs also. Besides RAM.

Personally, I´m happy with my lucky TA088-V2 2000 (CFW capable and pandorizable), it has TV-OUT put (just tonight was playing Digimon World 3 stretched on my screen, it won´t slow down anything if properly configured) 64MB ram, good quality material, and lasts up to 4-5hours depending CPU usage/LCD brightness. Don´t know about UMD drive, but mine works like a charm (even if I barely use it).

(no discuss against PSP 1000, this one in material quality is definitively better)

And i´ll take pics later, now i´m at job.

Good thread also

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
The TA-088V2 can't soft mod batteries iirc...

edit: Sorry, you didn't even mean that....ignore me...

Coto

-
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
xist said:
The TA-088V2 can't soft mod batteries iirc...

edit: Sorry, you didn't even mean that....ignore me...

No problem xist, in fact you know a lot about psp hardware itself =)

Yep, it can´t do pandora, but can run pandora =p.

D

Deleted User

The PSP GO also has bluetooth for use with a PS3 controller, and lacks the possibility to use the go cam or gps accessory. I would love to play games with a ps3 controller on my 3000!

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
Thanks prwlr. If anything that Go screen looks most like the 2000's to me (comparing like images).

dib

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I would want to use a PS3 controller too, just by how terrible the layout is. My hands are cramping just looking at that thing.

overdriver

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I currently own psp 2000. I had a 1000 model but I gave away to my friend.

I don't have any complaint about psp 2000 but I am curious if psp 3000 screen/LCD is much superior to 2000 one. I read tons of review and pic but I cannot decide if it is worth to have 1 more just for LCD color contrast.

I mainly use psp only for emulators - GBA, SNES, etc. nothing else.

or since I have Galaxy S... is it better to have bluetooth joypad and attach to it ..? yeah I am sucker for better mobile screen device for emulators. I even considered GP Wiz(AMOLED).. but the review said the button sux.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: But I bet that would be more for a flashcart than a consumer repro board.