Hacking [PSP] La Pucelle Ragnarok Translation

ChepChep

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I can now open the font file. Which files has the latin characters in it? Also I find it funny that it is missing Q, q and y for ASCII. I would love to figure out a way to insert them since I hate the SHift-JIS font but like the ascii font.

ChepChep

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
One word of warning for anyone who tries the translation. I have not been able to find a way to apply the translation and use it to a saved game. Every time I apply a translation so far I have to restart the game for most of the text to show up. Does anyone know a work around for this?

Also I hope to have most of the characters and creatures in battle translated tomorrow. Hopefully a big update tomorrow. After this I am going to tackle either skills or items.

-ChepChep

Linka

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Items seem like they'd be the hardest bit to tackle. Thankfully GameFAQs does have a list of shop items, but it seems like it'd be a super tedious thing to work through, since there's so many. Skills have actually been much easier for me to understand and differentiate, while items are still just "type and numbers" to me.

Monster skills (and their randomized names), however... Not nearly as pleasant. I think if you can, you should try to figure if you can partially translate the Monster Training feature as an in-between, at least to make it easier to rename and clarify monsters, since it might be a lot harder to really do how they randomize things. Unless if they have like a secret list in the game data that has all of the names it chooses from? Cause that'd be useful and convenient. I know NIS(A) tends to have a list specifically for titles and the sort in Disgaea games at least, cause it's completely possible to pull an Etna in 2 and hack the game to change it, far as I've read.

ChepChep

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Right now I am using the PS2 version to translate attach.dat. It has a massive list of characters and enemies. So far I have been able to find just about everything in the PS2 version and if not then I have found it in Disgaea 1-4 when search wikis. I am about halfway through. I am not sure if it includes the monster training names. There is another huge file called name.dat that seems to have very short names. It may be the case that NIS uses those short names to randomize the monster names.

I hope to have an update soon with about half the characters and creatures translated.

-ChepChep

ChepChep

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I have another update. I have gotten about half the names in attach.dat translated. I have added the paths to "patch" the game if anyone is interested. I am calling this version LPR_translation_v0.0.1. I will update my previous instructions.

I also have "cleaned up" my post so all code and screenshots are now in spoiler tags. Hopefully this will help make the thread more readable.

Here are a few screenshots of the new translation:
Player%20Names.jpg

Enemy%20Names.jpg

Battle%20Names.jpg

Linka

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wow! Very cool. I'm glad to see the enemies species have been translated at least.

Does the list have sorta like "Bit" and then a list of words, for instance? Cause I know that the Tiny Bats all tended to have names with some variation of Bit in them. That might be the thing you're looking for.

ChepChep

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I got all the way through attach.dat and it looks like it only has characters names and creature names. No individual randomly generated names for monsters. It must be in another file. I will try to upload the new files to tarranoth tonight. I am compressing the files to LZS right now and will take an hour.
I did find the cast from disgaea include Larhal in the attach.dat. The other fun character I found while translating was Pooh Bear. Not sure when he shows up in the game.

I found where all the items are located: face.dat

I may tackle that file next trying to use the PS2 file.

Linka

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hopefully items work. I really hope that enemy randomized names are just hidden elsewhere, cause those tend to be the main stopping point for easily determining which enemy is which. While being able to do the rename function helps a lot, you gotta basically go through all of the different training options too, to even get to that.

As a note, do you intend on trying to transplant audio to the game, or will you just keep it in Japanese? I don't think there's any use audio-wise once the text is translated, so I'd figure this is low priority.

ChepChep

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am not planning on trying to swap in English audio. I actually prefer having the Japanese audio and English subtitles. I always hate when games do not leave the Japanese in.

I also found the prefixes for the creatures. For some reason they are in mapinfo.dat. There is a large list of names so it should not be too hard to translate. I also found a similar list in the PS2 version.

I finally got attach.dat finished. I had a couple of bugs where I used too many characters so they did not fit in the windows in the game. I have fixed it now and I have uploaded the newest version. If you follow the applying patch post you will get the latest version. I plan to look at items tomorrow.

Linka

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh cool. I might try to work out the patching then, tonight.

Nice to see you found the prefixes at least for the names. Maybe they're set there because they're found in the levels mainly? Who knows with how games are programmed.

I think the most interesting part is the fact that there's a lot of similarities in the base data between the PS2 game and the PSP version, despite some feature and graphical changes. Sure makes replacing info within the game a lot easier. I know with translating that characters not fitting windows tends to be one of the bigger challenges, so I'm glad to hear you managed to actually get that done rather quickly.

Edit: Got it to work! It seems to be going fine. It's nice to actually have the names and menu translated to start.

ChepChep

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
At some point I will make a program to patch the game but right now the game hopefully will be changing so make not really worth the effort. Its really not hard to manually patch the game. If you have installed CFW, you can patch LPR.

D

Deleted User

At some point I will make a program to patch the game but right now the game hopefully will be changing so make not really worth the effort. Its really not hard to manually patch the game. If you have installed CFW, you can patch LPR.

Thanks for commenting on nicoblog :D
You know you can patch faster with UMDGen if you just open the ISO and delete the EBOOT.BIN, then drag your EBOOT.BIN and save the ISO.
Now you'll have to do it for the other file as well, but no big deal.

This is the most promising Fan translation i've seen, you work really fast!

ChepChep

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
NicoBlogs, The big issue I have is that I have to decrypt LZS files and then encrypt them back into LZS format. Decrypting is very quick (~1-2 mins) but encrypting them back into LZS format takes 1 hr on my desktop and 20 minutes on my work laptop. I know you can do it faster for eboot.bin in UMDGen but I just want to caution people to backup their original files before apply in case something goes wrong and they corrupt their original. (I have done this a few times but I keep a backup).

ChepChep

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Cyberdrive,

Do you know how to modify txp files?

What I would like to do is to modify the font and add in Q,V, q,x and y. If there is no room I would just modify another character and use a different ascii code for the new font letter.

I am having a hard time finding any information about txp files?

Any ideas?

-ChepChep

Linka

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There's no Q, V, q, x, and y by default in the text files? A little strange, but I guess Japanese doesn't really consider those letters in the first place...

Neat that you're trying to modify the font, though. It does currently look a little "off" and less clean than how the Japanese text looks, and might be better for fitting text into windows.

Hope you manage to get info about it!

ChepChep

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I plowed through most of the items in the game yesterday and tonight. I am sure there are some typos but can be easily fixed later. Also noticed that the translators for PS2 got lazy and many items have the exact same description. I had to use the ASCII letters and not SHIFT-JIS since the english text will not fit in the windows. I doubt I will have time to encrypt START_JP.dat back to START_JP.LZS so look for an update tomorrow. I plan to tackle the skills next which are in kis.dat.

Linka

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Guess Mastiff's guys were not as inventive as NISA has proven to be. Then again, I'm sometimes blown away by the sheer amount of flavor text NISA will go through and localize and even try to fit their own jokes into, and La Pucelle was basically Mastiff really trying to get "in" on the SRPG scene.

Looking forward to seeing how it all turns out!

ChepChep

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I have a new update. It includes most of the items in the game. If you following the previous instructions it includes patch v0.0.2.

If you find any typos please let me know.

LPR_translation_v0.0.2 (Items)

1) Acquire PSP La Pucelle Ragnarok ISO
2) Download EBOOT.BIN - www.tarranoth.com/LPR/EBOOT.BIN
3) Download START_JP.LZS - www.tarranoth.com/LPR/START_JP.LZS
4) Backup ISO, EBOOT.BIN and START_JP.LZS
5) Extract files from LPR ISO using UMDGen
6) Replace EBOOT.BIN in \PSP_GAME\SYSDIR\ with the downloaded EBOOT.BIN
7) Replace START_JP.LZS in \PSP_GAME\USRDIR\ with the downloaded START_JP.LZS
8) Create a new LPR ISO with UMDGen
9) Either use a PSP emulator or download to PSP and enjoy

Note: You must have CFW in order to play the translated ISO on a PSP

Screenshot for the new patch.

Store_Items.jpg

Reactions: Linka

Linka

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Very nice! Gonna hopefully be taking this for a whirl after I eat. I have it all patched and ready.

Nice to see you managed to get it up despite the sudden site maintenance.

ChepChep

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have slowly been going through the skills. I am amazed at how many are not in the PS2 version. I have been using google translate to try to "guess" what the skills should be and keep the names similar to others in the game. Hopefully it will not be too bad a translation.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BjK2lPBzGzo