Gaming PSP: Did piracy kill it, or was it just a bad console?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I beg you don't double post.
Offtopic but I do love how the forum saves you the embarrassment of double posting if it happens too fast. I've double clicked the Post Reply button a few times now on accident and it just went "You need to wait three seconds before posting again".
Edit: Now you double posted yourself :unsure:

Lurker2

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You realize that they combine PSP+Vita sales in their reports so the Vita sales don't look so bad. And their numbers are "shipped", not sold.
http://www.scei.co.jp/corporate/data/bizdata_pes_sale_e.html
It says sales. It might be shipped but it doesn't say otherwise on both sources.
Well the Vita sold 2.2M during as of Q2 so the PSP is at 73 million. 8.5M away from reaching the GBA. 1.6M during 9 months isn't that bad. It might not reach GBA numbers but it will get fairly close.

Reactions: Rasas

RodrigoDavy

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
And the N64 had the same issue - it was incredibly badly designed.

Specs-wise, it was better than the PlayStation, but this was capped by its overall built - for example, each texture was capped to 4kb, effectively meaning that to properly texture without blurring, you needed to use several layers of textures (Conker's Bad Day), which is why games opted to use shading instead. True fact, can't argue with that.

Another issue was the shared RAM memory, which works fine and dandy on paper, but in reality can greatly delay access times due to high latency and using DMA copying from Main RAM was not an option, nearly nullifying the benefits of having a cartridge medium and causing graphical pop-in as shown in for example Turok and its despicable draw distance. Some designers were ingenious enough to include texture streaming straight from the cartridge to avoid the trainwreck of the built-in system (Indiana Jones and the Infernal Machine), but that's just crude busy work. It doesn't nearly nullify the cartridge's speed advantage. All you need to do is compare N64 loading times in the game with the PS1 loading times (which was ridiculously long even for the time)

The cartridge size was another limit - even at that time, 64 Megabytes (512Mbit) just wasn't enough for a full-feature game, which is why N64 games often have to use crude codecs for FMV's or lack FMV's altogether, as they take up a lot of space - instead, in-game cutscenes were used. The forementioned textures more often than not, even with trilinear filtering, looked blurred due to space conservation. A game that takes up one CD would have to be on over 10 cartridges to be a 1 to 1 port, and cartridges were much more expensive than CD's. FMV was indeed almost impossible in N64 games, but is FMV really that important in games? I think the most important loss was the lack of voice dialogues in n64 games because of cartridge space.

It's also worth mentioning that at the time, programmers weren't used to coding for a 64-bit platform yet - it was a completely new experience, often resulting in buggy games. PS1 games was infested with buggy games, maybe due to the programmer's lack of experience with 3D games

Another bottleneck was the fillrate of the system - despite being capable of a higher polycount than the PlayStation or the Saturn, its memory management effectively crippled overall graphics and required severe work-arounds to achieve good results. The PS1 had its bottlenecks too, I remember many games being blocky and having ugly textures, whereas the N64 suffered less from these issues even with all these bottlenecks you searched on Wikipédia (Yes, I have read the n64 Wikipedia page tons of times)

All these reasons and more made programming for the platform a complete nightmare - there are very good reasons as to why there are "so many games" for it. Every single "good" part of the design happens to have its "nightmarish" counterpart. Most of all, all the reasons you just said doesn't make the n64 a nightmare to program. It just makes it harder to use all of the system's potential. In fact, even the medium quality n64 titles looked better than on Playstation.

The system has its highlights, but one shouldn't be blinded by nostalgia - it has plenty of flaws. I already told you I had and loved a PS1, follow your own advice.

//Completely off-topic, I know. :P

And most of all, why are you discussing consoles so technically? Most people don't consider that when buying video games, the PS2 is a living proof of that. Excluding the Dreamcast it was the most inferior video game graphically and it was the hardest to program too.
I am not going to repeat the arguments of my original post, all I can suggest is play some N64 games, they're pretty fun. I am not going to discuss this any further as this is not the right topic.

RodrigoDavy

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I remember posting a thread asking whether easy piracy of a console could boost hardware sales. I was pretty much slammed with most people saying that such a small percentage of consoles are ever hacked that it could not possibly have any effect on sales.

I remember thinking at the time how many threads I have seen where piracy caused the death of this console or that software agency or how billions are lost every year. Needless to say I let the argument die.

So now I am somewhat confused. If only an extremely small percentage of consoles are ever hacked how the hell can this have any effect on the industry what so ever?

It affects the gaming industry of my country for example. Here most people pirate pretty much anything, games, videos, music, etc...

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
And most of all, why are you discussing consoles so technically? Most people don't consider that when buying video games, the PS2 is a living proof of that. Excluding the Dreamcast it was the most inferior video game graphically and it was the hardest to program too.
I am not going to repeat the arguments of my original post, all I can suggest is play some N64 games, they're pretty fun. I am not going to discuss this any further as this is not the right topic.
The consumers don't but the developers do. This leads to less games made = less consoles sold.

RodrigoDavy

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
The consumers don't but the developers do. This leads to less games made = less consoles sold.
The point was that there are many things to take into account besides technical issues. Again I am not discussing this any further.

RodrigoDavy

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Reactions: emigre

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

emigre

Deck head
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United Kingdom

RodrigoDavy

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
5/10 times he is funny to me and many others find him funny 9/10 so a ban isn't just but thank you for your suggestion.

"HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. What you say is just so stupid. I won't tell you why I Think that and keep on trolling every time you post."
Do you seriously find this funny? Grow up!

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
"HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. What you say is just so stupid. I won't tell you why I Think that and keep on trolling every time you post."
As I said "5/10" that's half of the posts. If you can't find the wit to respond properly or even read what has been posted, then please kindly just fuck off.

Reactions: Guild McCommunist

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

I think it's funny because what they say is fucking stupid and should be laughed at.

If you're getting buttmad over emigre's posts then it's your fault for making stupid posts he makes posts about.

kimekaro

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The fact that Sony harped on how much Piracy was hurting the PSP, when the reality was that poor support on their end did more harm, is what convinced developers to abandon it - they didnt want to give their games away for free afterall.

So yes, piracy hurt it, but the fact that Sony simply wouldn't put the investment into the system that it needed and chose to just say "piracy is our chief issue" is what ran companies off.

RodrigoDavy

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
As I said "5/10" that's half of the posts. If you can't find the wit to respond properly or even read what has been posted, then please kindly just fuck off.

So when emigre call other people posts stupid you like it, but when I do you get offended! Know you know how annoying it is. :lol:

I think it's funny because what they say is fucking stupid and should be laughed at.

If you're getting buttmad over emigre's posts then it's your fault for making stupid posts he makes posts about.

I am not mad, but if you find something I say stupid just tell me why you think so. It's better than hiding behind a person that make fun of others because you're too lazy to make a response yourself.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's better than hiding behind a person that make fun of others because you're too lazy to make a response yourself.

But it's a fuckton funnier and more entertaining to just laugh at it.

I hate to paraphrase Ron White as he is a thoroughly mediocre comedian but "You can't fix stupid."

Reactions: Hyro-Sama
Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    The snack that smiles back, Ballsack!
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: