Hardware PSP colors inverted.

toxicityj

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I purchased, on the cheap, a PSP from a friend of mine. He shipped it to me in a less than favorable manner. So I suspect something got banged up, but anyway..

I got the PSP and the battery was drained. I forgot the thing didn't come with a charger so I grabbed a charger that fit and output the 5V the PSP required (according to the sticker by the charger port anyway). Success! the thing began charging and after a while I began to play around with the home screen a bit. Changing my theme color, setting my name, adding my network, etc. Then I started to play a game (FF7: CC) the game loaded up fine so I exited back to the menu and continued fiddling with that. At some point I realized the screen colors looked completely wrong. Inverted, even. Here's what I'm looking at.

Here's what I've tried:
  • Restarting PSP
  • Removing battery, restoring it, then turning on PSP
  • Playing without the charger
  • Doing a factoy reset via PSP menu
  • Wiping memory card via PSP menu
  • Updating firmware to 3.8 from 3.73 (I'd heard reflashing firmware could fix this problem)
Here's what I know about the PSP:
  • It's a PSP-1000 (says 1001, but I've only seen references to PSP-1000, 3000, etc.)
  • Firmware version 3.8
  • No custom firmware installed
  • 32MB mem card
My guess is either it got knocked around during shipping and the ribon cabble connecting the screen to the mobo got knocked out of place or it almost did and me fiddling with it so much knocked it way out of place. Or my unofficial charger did something to it. But I find that unlikely because it was working fine for the first 15 mins or so while charging with it.

Tomorrow I'm going to be visiting my parents and that's where all of my smaller tools are at so I'm going to try to take this thing apart and check any loose cables. I had loose ribbon cable problems with my DSlite before so I'm hoping it's that because it's an easy/free fix.

toxicityj

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay I got around to taking the thing apart and the ribbon cable was connected properly, so I don't know what the issue is. There's no visible damage to the screen itself. Do you all think it's worth dropping $20 on a replacement on the chance that the screen went bad? I actually bought the PSP off my friend for that amount, lol.

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
It looks posterized....

If updating/flashing a new firmware doesn't alter it then you might want to think about just getting another 1000 depending on the state of the rest of the console. $20 should go a fair way into buying another 1000.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Wow... err...

I'm guessing here, but I think the ribbon got damaged - clearly it transfers "some" colours, but not all of them... Perhaps swapping the ribbon for a new one would fix it, if not, swapping the whole screen for a spare. That said, it'd probably exceed the costs of getting a new unit altogether. My advice? Get a new one and keep this one for spare parts or just get a 2000/3000/Go. ;)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans: butte