PSP Cheat Plugin Setup

Discussion in 'PSP - Hacking & Homebrew' started by Rydian, Sep 2, 2012.

Sep 2, 2012

PSP Cheat Plugin Setup by Rydian at 9:38 PM (25,050 Views / 1 Likes) 16 Comments

Rydian Resident Furvert™

Message Count:
    Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    PSP Cheats/Codes

This guide will show you how to set up a cheat plugin on your PSP.

• Q - How do I use cheats on the PSP?
      A - You need to install and use a cheat plugin. The below spoiler shows you how to set up plugins.
      WARNING! Spoilers inside!
      Generally cheat plugins won't be a single .prx file, they'll be a couple files in their own folder.

• Q - Which cheat plugin should I use?
      A - You have a few choices.
      • TempAR is my personal recommendation, it's a recent plugin that attempts to combine features from older ones while making cheat creation easier. The main tempar.prx file is the main cheat file, if you want to cheat on PSP games (POPS) use tempar_lite.prx for them.
      • CWCheat is also recommended. It has additional features such as text reading, and it has a POPS (PSX) version as well.
      • CMFusion isn't as stable as the above two, but has even more extra features such as image viewing, and save/load state (RTS).

• Q - How do I update the cheat database?
      A - For CMFusion and CWCheat you go and replace the database/files on the memory stick with the new one. TempAR can load multiple databases at once so you can name them cheat.db, cheat1.db, cheat2.db, and so on.

• Q - Can you link me to some database sites?
      A - Generally googling is the best bet now for pre-compiled databases. The main gbatemp database is no longer maintained and most of the sites hosting updated cheat files also host ROMs/ISOs, so we can't link to them. The below sites do have some good resources though.
      http://www.onehitgamer.com/wiki/index/
      http://www.codemasters-project.net/vb/index.php

• Q - How do I use TempAR?
      A - Press L+R+HOME to bring up the TempAR screen. By default cheats are off globally, press the Note button on the PSP to turn them on. If cheats for the game you're running were automatically detected they'll be in the list, otherwise (or if you want to load a different database) use the L and R buttons to change tabs, go to the PRX tab and use the "load cheat file" function, using left and right to select the database. Usually PSP codes for one device will be in one database, another in another database, PSX games in a separate database, and so on.

• Q - How do I use CWCheat?
      A - After installing the plugin, press and hold Select for three seconds to bring up the menu. From there make sure that you choose to enable cheats. The database should already be loaded and you can toggle cheats on and off, but if you want to swap to a different database use the "Reload Cheat Database" option with the number of the database (cheat.db, cheat1.db, etc.) you want.

• Q - How do I use CMFusion?
      A - After installing it, press the Note button to bring it up. "Address Table" is the list of cheats, you can save and load various database types through the other options in the menu. "Memory manage" is the RTS/state functions. Dump is save state, upload is load state. Be careful with saving and uploading, if plugins and such have changed between saving and loading instances or your CFW has changed things could fuck up, as save/load state works on the PSP as a whole, not just the game.

Last edited by Rydian, Dec 6, 2012
    Attila13 likes this.

codezer0 Gaming keeps me sane

Message Count:
    United States
    Does TempAR work with PSN/PSOne games as well? It sounds like what I need right there, though some of the games I'm particularly interested in using cheats for are on those PSOne classics games.

Just thinking about it reminds me of the good old days with the Gameshark Pro. That thing was so good, hacking some games became more of a game than playing the game itself. :gba:

Rydian Resident Furvert™

Message Count:
    United States
    Yeah these work on PSN things.

xist ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ

Message Count:
    United Kingdom
    You can utilise those same Gameshark codes with relative ease in the PSP cheat engines too...

Message Count:
    United States
    Alright. Looking right now on my PSP go, I got the TempAR plugin correctly installed. I followed the link to get the latest code list and drag-n-drop'd that pspar_codes file it gives to give me a .db file; where exactly on the /seplugins/TempAR/ do I put this so it will be read?

*EDIT* Nevermind, I think I figured it out;

First thing that bugged me was that the plugin wouldn't start when I hit 'resume game', but this was fixed by starting the game from its regular mode.

The other thing was just trying to get the cheat .db files to actually well.. recognize and appropriate the cheat lists. Somehow by accident after re-checking the db files that were provided in that viewer/editor, I then went back to the PSP and relaunched a known game that was in the list and got the codes to show up after picking a matching-named .db.

Oy vey... :P

*EDIT 2*

Okay, quick question then... what would those old PS1 gameshark codes' format translate to for submitting into one of TempAR's cheat.db files?

xist ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ

Message Count:
    United Kingdom
    No idea...i use CWCheat rather than TempAR because i like the multiple text documents/place marking and on the fly clockspeed adjustment that CWCheat offers. For CWCheat you can use this

Message Count:
    United States
    Well, one thing I'm noticing is that one of the games I'm trying is Final Fantasy VII. The game is listed in the database there; however I notice that while the EXP, limit gain and money codes work like they're supposed to, the AP after battle code does not. No matter which one I turn on, it seems ot limit to a flat 511AP, when the values listed in the individual codes are higher.

It looks like TempAR is compatible with CWcheat files... at least the .db files made for it.

Message Count:
    United States
    Well, this is strange... when I use the searcher and add the code in, the AP I set actually does work and help me level my materia (explosively) fast.
    But none of the pre-made codes that are already in the db file will give me anything other than 255 or 511 AP per battle... even though the search points to the exact same code line in question.

Rydian Resident Furvert™

Message Count:
    United States
    PSX cheats aren't just "set this memory value", there's other forms they can take, such as code modification on certain triggers and other crap I'm not even aware of. Also the size of the set value differs as well. One byte is 255 max, two is 65535, etc (512 is two FF's added, minus one, so it could just be some multiplier in-game working on the maxed single-byte value).

sliver123 New Member

Message Count:
    Netherlands
    i have a psp 1004 or 1001 and firmware 6.39 me-9 i tried tempar 1.63 when tried it shut the device of and then i used 1.62-3 also same who can xplain to let it work ?

pokefloote h8 anime h8 pokemon

Message Count:
    United States
    Anyone know where I can find a CWcheat that works properly on 6.20 PRO-C? I've tried a few from the main sources but they all read the game ID incorrectly. TempAR works fine with the same exact cheat.db, so it's not the database.

TempAR shows Persona 3P's ID as ULUS-10512. This matches up with the database and works properly.
    CWcheat shows the same game's ID as HB4B12D3BC. It would work if I edited the db with the new ID, but I'm not up for editing the database for each game I own when it's supposed to work as is...

Using a PSPgo if that matters. I would just use tempar but the button combos interfere with my screenshot plugin (they can be changed but not as convenient as holding select for 3 seconds) and I prefer CWcheat.
    • Newcomer

iceedge New Member

Message Count:
    United States
    I think I'm having the same problem. A lot of the codes I try to activate from raing's database will crash the game and shut off my psp.

Filipe C Bello dos Santos Real pirates don't buy fake copies.

Message Count:
    Brazil
    Hello, does anyone know where i can find codes for ultimate Ghosts n' Goblins ?
    • Newcomer

OscarOses New Member

Message Count:
    hi i got a pspgo for xmas, im running temproary 6.60 pro c. my games are showing up as: HB4B12D3BC on cwcheat. i'm assuming its homebrew according to this thread :http://gbatemp.net/threads/cwcheat-help-on-pspgo-running-6-20-pro-b10.325250/

i need to know how to fix this so i can get my cheats to work. i first tried running tempar, but when i would activate it in game, it would restart my go. so i went with cwcheat.
    • Newcomer

LouAllet New Member

Message Count:
    Philippines
    hi guys i'm fairly new with this cwcheat plugin.. i just installed everything and it works well with my regular psp games.. however , it won't work with my ps1/psn games.. tried holding select during gameplay but nothing happens.. anyone who could help me out on this? thanks! :)

Skeet1983 New Member

Message Count:
    United States
    Anyone know where to find CWCheat codes for Final Fantasy 4 The Complete Collection US Version?
    • Newcomer

chavezs987 New Member

Message Count:
    United States
    I may be dumb or something, I downloaded the latest database for the games I want to use cheats on they are in the list. When I go to use TempAR the menu loads up for PSX games but there are no cheats listed and it locks up my PSP and power cycles, they work on PSP ISOs with no problem. I dont understand. I am using 6.60 C2 PRO CWCheats will load on PSP ISOs as well when holding the select button for a few seconds and the cheats work fine. But none will work for PSX games. Any idea on what I may be doing that's incorrect?

SPONSORED LINKS