Hardware PSP 3001 USB Charge from power off (pics)

Sicklyboy

#JOYCONBOYZFOREVER
OP
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So, most of you know how that on a PSP 3000 you can charge from the miniUSB port while the system is turned on, but not while it's off. I think that's incredibly stupid because you have to always have the large physical charger when a miniUSB cable would do the job just fine. I've tried to use The Google to find a way to mod a 3000 to always charge from the USB port, but the only tutorial I had found was for the PSP 1000. I ended up doing a little poking around and managed to get it working on my 3001 model, keeping the charge light functional for both sources of charging too!

For posterity, two pics and a sparsely worded guide.

You need a thin wire (I pulled mine from an old parallel cable I had previously mauled, it's probably around 30 gauge) and a soldering iron. You'll need to solder, on the bottom of the board, the wire to the left most leg of the miniUSB port, if the port is on the upper edge of the board.

184751-IMG_20140228_014452.jpg

Cross the wire over the top, and solder the other end to the left leg of the connector for the charge port, if the connector is pointed downwards.

184752-IMG_20140228_014507.jpg

To make soldering a little easier I took a razor and scraped those two legs a tiny bit just to help remove any residues that may have existed from the manufacturing process.

Also, it won't hurt to take a voltmeter, plug in your official charging cable, and measure the DC voltage between the two terminals on your charger plug on the motherboard (like where the wire is soldered). You'll get +5v DC off of the positive leg.

So now you have the option to charge the system at any time, off or on, via the USB cable or the charging jack, with the bonus of the charging LED activating from either method. USB mass storage functionality remains, too.

trumpet-205

Embrace the darkness within
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
The only thing I worry about with your approach is that USB by default can only deliver current 500 mA per port. Since your solution simply involves soldering wire directly to the charge port (which draws up to 1500 mA), it may brake the USB fuse on the PC.

If motherboard / USB port manufacturer were to properly follow USB specification (most don't due to extra cost, but some actually do) and add fuses behind each USB port, you will pop the fuse.

dilav

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Most PCs motherboard I've seen uses poly fuse which will reset when power is off. I haven't heard of any issues, or had any problems myself with these charge mod on the 1000s.

The Nexus take a pretty damn good photo, is the light from the flash?

Sicklyboy

#JOYCONBOYZFOREVER
OP
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Most PCs motherboard I've seen uses poly fuse which will reset when power is off. I haven't heard of any issues, or had any problems myself with these charge mod on the 1000s.

The Nexus take a pretty damn good photo, is the light from the flash?

Yep VZW Samsung Galaxy Nexus SCH-i515 (toro). The unfortunate brightness at the bottom is the flash. This thing, given a good angle and clean lens can take pretty decent close-up pics, but once you disable the flash, it all goes to hell.

dilav

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yep VZW Samsung Galaxy Nexus SCH-i515 (toro). The unfortunate brightness at the bottom is the flash. This thing, given a good angle and clean lens can take pretty decent close-up pics, but once you disable the flash, it all goes to hell.

Well, it's common for small cameras sensors to take bad photos in low light. But flash and focus don't always play well with macro

remlei

Trophies
XP
Country
I dont recommend any kinds of USB charging mods on PSP it self. Some PC/Laptops may not read PSP's Mass storage properly due to lack of power. (seeing them as a unknown device).

If you want a USB charging option on your PSP while its off, youre already good for PSP's USB 2-1 Cable (that can be used as a regular USB data cable and also a charger with standard PSP barrel socket) which is available of on ebay by various made in china products at a very cheap price.

cearp

瓜老外
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Tuvalu
i would do this, but from putting on a new housing, twice, for my psp 1000, i found it very difficult. i imagine the 3000 is worse, ha
my galaxy s2, macbook air, ipod, wii, have been so simple in comparison, but maybe i'm just more experienced now, lol

monyarm

Trophies
XP
Country
Well shit, i tried to do this mod and i soldered together the 4 legs of the usb connector and i moved the leftmost connector to the left, and now i cant remove the solder

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Sorry for accidentally bending over