Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Hi,

Quick question here: does the psp 3004 have internal storage for savegames or do you have to get a memorycard for that?
Googling it didn't make me any wiser, some say the 64mb is ram other say its for storage ...

I'll prolly end up buying a memorycard anyways for demos, music & movies etc, but do i really need it for saving games?

C

croagunk.master

Kanahpoo said:
Hi,

Quick question here: does the psp 3004 have internal storage for savegames or do you have to get a memorycard for that?
Googling it didn't make me any wiser, some say the 64mb is ram other say its for storage ...

I'll prolly end up buying a memorycard anyways for demos, music & movies etc, but do i really need it for saving games?

Yes, you do need a memory stick for saving games. It doesn't have internal storage.

Kanahpoo

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Ok thx!

Does it needs to be a Sony memory card? I read somewhere that the psp has some issues with some (cheaper) memorycards.
Cause I found a Sandisk MemoryStick Pro Duo 4GB for 12 $

KevFan

Trophies
XP
Country
No it doesn't have to be a sony memory card but it must support magic gate.
Cheaper memory cards does not support magic gate are termed fake memory sticks and they usually corrupt and not load stuff from the memory stick

Kanahpoo

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Thx for the quick responses!

xist said:
No, and Sandisk's are superior to Sony anyway....
Hoped so, can't go wrong with Sandisk
smile.gif

QUOTE(45gc @ Jan 24 2011, 11:22 AM) No it doesn't have to be a sony memory card but it must support magic gate.
Cheaper memory cards does not support magic gate are termed fake memory sticks and they usually corrupt and not load stuff from the memory stick
Sandisk MemoryStick Pro Duo 4GB seems to have magicgate so i guess i'm good.

ps: what a cheap move from Sony, luckily i bought my PSP cheap ...

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
I remember seeing a while ago a report on fake memory cards on eBay. Something like 80% of all fakes were SanDisk fakes.

QUOTE said:
Nothing "cheap" about it - it's much more convenient than internal memory. Just one example: you can plug the memory card into a computer/laptop and backup all your saves in seconds. Also, the thing about requiring Magic Gate is to try and protect users from the known problem of fake memory on the internet.

FYI, usually what makes a memory card "fake", is how it's built. Real memory cards will have normal storage chips for storing data. Fake ones tend to use chips that are half the size or less than the reported capacity (e.g. it'll use compression to fit 8GB on a 4GB chip). This is what causes the slower access speeds and frequent data corruption.

Kanahpoo

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Originality said:
I remember seeing a while ago a report on fake memory cards on eBay. Something like 80% of all fakes were SanDisk fakes.

QUOTE said:
Nothing "cheap" about it - it's much more convenient than internal memory. Just one example: you can plug the memory card into a computer/laptop and backup all your saves in seconds. Also, the thing about requiring Magic Gate is to try and protect users from the known problem of fake memory on the internet.

FYI, usually what makes a memory card "fake", is how it's built. Real memory cards will have normal storage chips for storing data. Fake ones tend to use chips that are half the size or less than the reported capacity (e.g. it'll use compression to fit 8GB on a 4GB chip). This is what causes the slower access speeds and frequent data corruption.

Good to know about the fake ones
smile.gif

Although i agree using memory cards is indeed a lot more practical than internal memory, i still think is dickmove to be obligated to buy a memorycard in order to save your games. Most people prolly just end up buying the overpriced ones from Sony.
(Reminds me a bit of having to buy a HDMI cable for the PS3 ...)

Kanahpoo

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
croagunk.master said:
Yes, you do need a memory stick for saving games. It doesn't have internal storage.

QUOTE(Rockstar @ Jan 24 2011, 12:43 PM) The PSP does have some internal memory to copy saves

Mmmm, back to square one ...

thedicemaster

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
the internal storage in a PSP3k can't be used for saves, it is only used for the system software, system settings, and PSN account information and can't be accessed directly by users. (flash0, flash1, and flash3)

the PSPgo is the only PSP with internal storage that can be accessed by the user(ef0) and it works pretty much the same as a memory stick so it can be used for saves, and for games.

Reactions: Megadriver94

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans: butte