Hacking PSP 1000 will not turn on?

sjones900

GBAtemp Advanced Member
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a PSP 1000 that I've tried to repair with a magic memory stick putting in the pandora battery with the magic memory stick and the pandora battery and holding the "L" button as indicated by PSPGrader. The PSP comes on for about 2 or 3 seconds and shuts off regardless of anything I do. Suggestions?

sjones900

GBAtemp Advanced Member
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The battery is fully charged and I followed the guide for the magic memory stick to a tee. This PSP has a sort of an issue. Originally it froze allot because the owner let somebody less educated about CFW borrow and the messed with the clock speeds and changed them to a very low clock speed. Ever since then it froze all the time. Now it won't even boot. I'm trying this to no avail.. any other suggestions? Does the CPU need to be reflowed? (Applied heat)

Schlupi

Gbatemp's Official Earthbound Maniac™
Trophies
Website
Starmen.net
XP
Country
United States
Even if the Clockspeed was changed, it SHOULD NOT interfere with DDC and the Pandora.

Once again, elaborate. What version of DDC did you use? what firmware were you on? What were you trying to go to?

If you can't boot into anything, try taking the battery out. plug the charger in and try to hold L when starting it up. Tell me the results.

sjones900

GBAtemp Advanced Member
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
DDC? I just used PSP Grader 8 with OFW 5.00. All I'm trying to do is install OFW and get it running. I've tried using with the charger but it does not boot.

Schlupi

Trophies
Website
Starmen.net
XP
Country
United States
sjones900 said:
DDC? I just used PSP Grader 8 with OFW 5.00. All I'm trying to do is install OFW and get it running. I've tried using with the charger but it does not boot.

AH. I am silly. I missed that part. >_>

question. Is your memory stick an official Sony memory stick?

Nathan Drake

Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.
Trophies
XP
Country
Sandisk memory sticks should be MMS compatible, so that certainly wouldn't be the issue, unless it was a fake that you got off of eBay or something.

Schlupi

Trophies
Website
Starmen.net
XP
Country
United States
Nathan Drake said:
Sandisk memory sticks should be MMS compatible, so that certainly wouldn't be the issue, unless it was a fake that you got off of eBay or something.

Yeah... a fake memory stick could have created an issue somewhere along the line.

You said a friend messed with the clockspeed in the VSH menu, possibly? It's very well possible the messed with the Flash 0 or 1 if they had access to a computer with it, too, and THAT caused your brick. >_>

I'm not getting enough info to give a proper diagnosis. All I can say is try to set up the MMS again through a USB reader for the MS, and try again. Set the boot button to a face button instead of a shoulder button (or set it to autoboot).

sjones900

GBAtemp Advanced Member
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm not really sure what else I can say. I re-did the MMS Maker on a Sony 1GB Memory Card with no boot button making it auto boot. But it has the same result turns on for about 2 seconds and shuts off.

-EDIT-
Update, the psp at least doe not turn off immediately anymore. I opened it up and blew some compressed air in it and now it at least stays on with the pandora battery. With regular batteries it does the usual. THe Magic memory stick doesn't seem to work, and my memory card reader doesn't inject the IPL. I was using a friends PSP to make it but now they're gone :/

sjones900

GBAtemp Advanced Member
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It turned on once and I continued to to try and install OFW 5.00 but it froze midway through the install and powered off. It hasn't come on since.

sjones900

GBAtemp Advanced Member
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay it turned on and I re-installed 5.00 OFW successfully, but it still freezes. I have no idea what's wrong with this thing :/

-EDIT-
Made a new discovery. The psp will turn on for sure when something is plugged into the headphone port. but if bumped or jiggled too much it will causes it to freeze.. I think that piece of the board is the cause of the problem. I don't know what it's called but it manages the d-pad, memcard, and headphones. Is it worth salvaging?

realveemon

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Check the power switch isn't stuck or anything.... as soon as it starts to load, put the power switch in lock position (way at the bottom there). If it still powers off and you can't use any pandora flash technique then its hardware....

Perhaps if you yank out the battery and turn on your psp with just the power cord in to see whether its a pattery thing or not...

Hardware can be such an arse sometimes... My PSP 2K can only get something like 30seconds through a song before it skips to the next one and claim its a corrupted file. Restart the thing and the file is fine again... Firmware doesn't make any difference.... Trusted 1K is always great.. Had it when it first came out and never had any problems....

obito

I can have a title?! :O
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
sjones900 said:
Okay it turned on and I re-installed 5.00 OFW successfully, but it still freezes. I have no idea what's wrong with this thing :/

-EDIT-
Made a new discovery. The psp will turn on for sure when something is plugged into the headphone port. but if bumped or jiggled too much it will causes it to freeze.. I think that piece of the board is the cause of the problem. I don't know what it's called but it manages the d-pad, memcard, and headphones. Is it worth salvaging?

Are you sure? The dpad works by a ribbon cable and the mem stick compartment is on the daughterboard...

But.. When does it freeze? Would you be able to get to hellcats and install a new FW from there?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    ShdwTakashi @ ShdwTakashi: pineapple belong on pizza? The answer is yes until proven otherwise