Hardware PSP 1000 battery drain and crashes while plugged into AC adapter(s)

Duiliath

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
In advance I apologize if this information is already readily available but I haven't found it in the past dozen or so hours I've invested in searching for it. Also giant wall of text for thoroughness.

---Background info:
I recently purchased two used PSP 1001 models with one used Sony brand battery and a used knock off battery, as well as two different generic 5V 2A AC adapters for PSP 1000s etc..

The Sony brand battery can be charged with an eta of ~7 hours when idle and the generic brand battery shows similar ETA results but drains at a quicker rate (between 2-7 ETA minutes for each real minute that passes in the menu). The generic brand battery also shows signs of swelling. Currently I am waiting on a couple of generic brand replacement batteries to arrive for at least the swelled knock off.

While waiting for some micro-sd cards to arrive I have been testing 6.60 PRO cfw using a 32 gb class 10 micro-sd card in a PhotoFast MS Pro Duo dual slot adapter.

---The problem:
While playing either PSP isos or a PSX eboot the screen will occasionally blackscreen and the console will turn off. After testing both systems with the same memory card and the same games after different charging intervals I've ruled out RAM overflow and believe the issue is being caused by the batteries being fully discharged despite being plugged into an AC adapter and has occurred for both consoles. After testing for the shutdown on one system while plugged in the batteries were switched and tested again, resulting in the console shutting down again. These results occurred when the AC adapter was switched and when the same tests were done on the other console.

While plugged in the orange LED lights up and will remain lit for a period of time. Occasionally the green light will flicker on and off for a few seconds before orange is lit again. After an extended period of time playing a game, the green light will go on for longer periods of time. This happens regardless of which adapter or console though one console has been tested more thoroughly at this time.

Both PSPs can be booted with the AC adapters and batteries in place and function with the batteries removed afterward, however any attempt to launch a game or the web browser results in the consoles turning off (game launching has been tested after successfully booting into PRO by temporarily inserting the battery )

Only once was there an indication of low battery power before a crash with the flashing battery symbol appearing for a fraction of a second, during a checkpoint in Ratchet & Clank Size Matters.

---To do;
Test for shut downs while plugged into different outlets.
Test for shut downs after removing batteries while games have been launched.
Repeat tests with SONY brand AC adapter if one is obtained.
Console disappointed self in ice cream and pizza.

--------
tl;dr
2 PSP phats suddenly turn off as if from low batteries while plugged into AC adapters.
--------

---Questions;
Are PSP 1000s actually supposed to be able to be powered solely from AC adapters like has been claimed online?
Do PSP batteries discharge faster than they charge while plugged in?
Are the AC adapters both full of suck and should I get a SONY adapter? (One claims to be for PSP 1000/2000/3000 yet I thought the 3000 had different power specifications)
Aside from the initial boot process, what other functions require the circuit board from the battery?
Has anyone had experiences like these?
Am I missing something really obvious? i.e. PSP 1000s always suddenly die without warning because of cheap parts and evil goblins.

---
Edit because I'm bad at proof-reading
---

Last edited by Duiliath,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: I'm sorry for not using lube K3Nv2. Really I am. :evil: