PSNOW Streaming Hitting PSTV AND PSVITA on 10/14!

chavosaur

Chavo
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
82f05ca9da.jpg
Playstation Now has been a neat take on giving users the chance to stream games on their PS4 and PS3 systems. While it's had some ups and downs since launch with its price points and lack of first party offerings, it has started to ramp things up and reform itself in the past few weeks. Now Sony has just announced that the streaming service will not only be hitting PSTV, which launches in America on 10/14, but will ALSO be hitting the Playstation Vita on the same day!​
Unfortunately at this time, Sony has offered no real information other than the following quote from their PSTV Ultimate FAQ.​
PlayStation Now’s Open Beta for PS TV is scheduled to launch on October 14, 2014 to consumers in North America. It is also scheduled be available on PS Vita at this time. Service not available in all areas. See us.playstation.com/playstationnow for details.

Oddly enough, it would appear most games available for streaming on PSTV will be VITA, PSP, PSONE Classics, and Minis. No word or insight has been given on what types of games will be available for the Vita to stream, though it can be assumed it will be the same demo list PS3 users had during the open Beta, or the current PS3 offerings available for PS4 NOW streaming.​
It's also an odd move for Sony to be adding most of the Vita's library for streaming on the Playstation TV and not other platforms. It can be assumed they may come to PS4 at a later date, however this still means that they are actively offering a cheaper product that can play Vita games, which could only serve to push people away from purchasing a Playstation Vita.​
What's everyone else's opinion on this? Does the Playstation TV entice you enough to purchase one, knowing you can stream a large amount of content to it for play now?​

FireEmblemGuy

Celebrating a decade of shitposting
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oddly enough, it would appear most games available for streaming on PSTV will be VITA, PSP, PSONE Classics, and Minis. No word or insight has been given on what types of games will be available for the Vita to stream, though it can be assumed it will be the same demo list PS3 users had during the open Beta, or the current PS3 offerings available for PS4 NOW streaming.

It's also an odd move for Sony to be adding most of the Vita's library for streaming on the Playstation TV and not other platforms. It can be assumed they may come to PS4 at a later date, however this still means that they are actively offering a cheaper product that can play Vita games, which could only serve to push people away from purchasing a Playstation Vita.

What's everyone else's opinion on this? Does the Playstation TV entice you enough to purchase one, knowing you can stream a large amount of content to it for play now?

Pretty sure that's a list of PSTV compatible titles, not a list of PS Now titles coming to the PSTV/Vita. Blog post even states that it'll have the same PS Now titles as other devices, mostly.

Also, unless PS Now can be used to stream titles you already own without a rental fee (and I doubt it can), the list really kind of blows.

chavosaur

Chavo
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Pretty sure that's a list of PSTV compatible titles, not a list of PS Now titles coming to the PSTV/Vita. Blog post even states that it'll have the same PS Now titles as other devices, mostly.

Also, unless PS Now can be used to stream titles you already own without a rental fee (and I doubt it can), the list really kind of blows.

ff8de89077.png

You are correct, though the blog post makes things somewhat confusing. I cant tell if the games available at launch means that if you own these games you may play them through the PSTV, or if it means they will be stream titles added to the list of ps3 titles as well. It would be fantastic if it was the former.

FireEmblemGuy

Celebrating a decade of shitposting
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The PSTV is basically a Vita box. Plays any non-Vita games the Vita can (unless there's exceptions I don't know about), if they're on your PSN account, plus a good chunk of digital/physical Vita games that don't rely too much on the touchscreen, plus the PS4 streaming the Vita already supports, and PS Now. So the former, basically.

Reactions: chavosaur

stanleyopar2000

RIP Yuzu. "It is always morally correct..."
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
Sony said in an interview a few years back that they want to go all digital and console-less. (which I don't really care for)

sounds like the PS TV is trying to achieve that for Sony's Future Plans

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The PS TV is a console you dopes.

I don't have an issue with streaming provided it serves a purpose. If it's cheaper than physical, can play games outside the system's hardware limitations, or has something like a good subscription service (OnLive used to do like 100+ games for $10/mo), then I'm game.

stanleyopar2000

Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
tbh. the all digital and console-less is a scary future.

http://www.dualshockers.com/2014/08...s-could-disappear-as-it-tackles-cloud-gaming/

http://www.gamnesia.com/news/sony-is-working-towards-a-future-without-consoles

Nishino-san mentioned that they’re “working in anticipation of a future where gaming consoles could disappear,” explaining that mobile gaming has created a fierce competitive environment for consoles, and the evolution of cloud gaming has made them somewhat unnecessary. That’s why they’re currently imagining how gaming could be in the era of the cloud, and studying how gamers play and their purchasing habits

FUCK that. I like having physical ownership of my games and no fucking company is going to "license" out my right to play a game I paid $60 fucking dollars for.

PS TV is a soak test to see if people will bite.

trumpet-205

Embrace the darkness within
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
FUCK that. I like having physical ownership of my games and no fucking company is going to "license" out my right to play a game I paid $60 fucking dollars for.

Even physical copies of the game are licensing rights rather than actual ownership. You don't own the actual disc/cartridges, that belongs to publishers. What you do have is the rights to play the game so long as you have the physical copies.

stanleyopar2000

Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
Even physical copies of the game are licensing rights rather than actual ownership. You don't own the actual disc/cartridges, that belongs to publishers. What you do have is the rights to play the game so long as you have the physical copies.

even if that may be so..physical ownership gives the consumer a hell of a lot more rights than digital only. Where everything is at the mercy of sony and the publisher.

Just look at the guy who exploited Nintendo's Eshop europe promo and got more than one game. (its a thread on here) Even though he downloaded the game directly to his 3DS. Nintendo revoked the license a day later so that it wouldn't be visible or playable. Now tell me this. Do you want your game that you paid $60 for (which probably contains disk locked content) to be in such control as this?

stanleyopar2000

Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
Don't mix up PS TV with PS Now. PS TV is just a budget model of PS Vita. Ps Now will be available on any smart device and regular vita, not only PS TV.
But yeah this future is fucking dumb.

Maybe I should have been more clear...I'm talking about Playstation Now technology being incorporated into Smart TV's...thus eliminating the console. Due to the fact that the Sony CEO has a very open bias and prejudice towards physical consoles and ownership in the future. (and just like the video you shared) We have to be mindful not to support Sony's digital-only future too much. Or else they will get the wrong idea from us (a wonderful awful idea) With Sony's revealed plans for "Playstation" Eventually Sony will want to kill off the "video game console." And when that time comes, It's up to us to tell them to go fuck themselves and not support it.

CathyRina

Digimon Tamer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Maybe I should have been more clear...I'm talking about Playstation Now technology being incorporated into Smart TV's...thus eliminating the console. Due to the fact that the Sony CEO has a very open bias and prejudice towards physical consoles and ownership in the future. (and just like the video you shared) We have to be mindful not to support Sony's digital-only future too much. Or else they will get the wrong idea from us (a wonderful awful idea) With Sony's revealed plans for "Playstation" Eventually Sony will want to kill off the "video game console." And when that time comes, It's up to us to tell them to go fuck themselves and not support it.

I like the Idea of PS now distributing older games that aren't compatible with newer hardware and for MMOs it's a good option too (Dragon quest X uses this technology on 3DS) but we should leave it at that.

stanleyopar2000

Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
I like the Idea of PS now distributing older games that aren't compatible with newer hardware and for MMOs it's a good option too (Dragon quest X uses this technology on 3DS) but we should leave it at that.

exactly.WITH PROPER PRICING...its great technology. along-side video game consoles. Digital should NEVER replace physical consoles. And we both know Sony won't leave it at that. We need to tell them that we still support physical copies more so that their *evil* plan :lol: will never come to fruition

Qtis

Grey Knight Inquisitor
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
In a way I agree, but you can't ignore Steam and its effect on the PC market. Most people seem to prefer digital over physical as it's more convenient. I even changed my internal DVD drive for a second HDD slot since the DVD drive was never used..

Streaming is an issue, but digital does not mean a bad future in any way. Even digital is evolving to a more consumer friendly direction (GoG and the likes with a pro-DRM free position)

trumpet-205

Embrace the darkness within
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Just look at the guy who exploited Nintendo's Eshop europe promo and got more than one game. (its a thread on here) Even though he downloaded the game directly to his 3DS. Nintendo revoked the license a day later so that it wouldn't be
visible or playable. Now tell me this. Do you want your game that you paid $60 for (which probably contains disk locked content) to be in such control as this?

And that's the thing, the guy exploited / cheated the system. Was it surprising that Nintendo took adverse action against him?

Digital distribution is the future, the only obstacle it has right now is inconsistent Internet performance. Microsoft waned X1 to be digital only, but later scrapped the idea because many people did not have fast Internet speed.

stanleyopar2000

Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
And that's the thing, the guy exploited / cheated the system. Was it surprising that Nintendo took adverse action against him?

Digital distribution is the future, the only obstacle it has right now is inconsistent Internet performance. Microsoft waned X1 to be digital only, but later scrapped the idea because many people did not have fast Internet speed.

and the fact that not everyone wants to be tethered to an internet connection because Microsoft said so. Plus the anti-used game policy has had me turn my back on them and not to trust them either.

In a way I agree, but you can't ignore Steam and its effect on the PC market. Most people seem to prefer digital over physical as it's more convenient. I even changed my internal DVD drive for a second HDD slot since the DVD drive was never used..

Streaming is an issue, but digital does not mean a bad future in any way. Even digital is evolving to a more consumer friendly direction (GoG and the likes with a pro-DRM free position)

But with Steam and GOG. That's PC. We're talking about Sony plans of eventually wanting to kill the home video game console. And make everything cloud based and in their control.
You cant tell me with the ultimate control that Sony and (eventually most likely in the future,) Microsoft would have over consumers that they wouldn't abuse it. GOG and Steam is a small company compared to the likes of Sony and Microsoft.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Anybody here?