Hacking PSJailbreak Reverse Engineered

mehrab2603

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
German website GameFreax has claimed to have successfully reverse engineered PS Jailbreak. They
bring out some important information that was
previously unknown. First off,PSJailbreak was apparently NOT a clone of Sony ’s JIG,
instead its a legitimate exploit that was developed. Second,we can NOT upgradePSJailbreak without the use of
additional hardware - maybe the company planned to sell another component to
upgrade the unit?Here is the translated post:

We have taken a closer look at this PSJailbreak dongle
We can confirm that the PSJailbreak is not a clone of Sony ’s “Jig” module.
PSJailbreak is a self-
developed exploit. The
chip is not a PIC18F444 but a ATMega is used with a software USB interface. This means the chip is internally capable of emulating any USB device. PSJailbreak emulates a 6 Port USB hub on which different devices will later be
connected and then
disconnected. One of
these devices has the
product:vendor ID of
Sony ’s “Jig” module,
which means this had
played a certain role
during the development of PSJailbreak role.But lets start from beginning: When the PS3 is powered on … A USB emulation device will be connected, which has a too large of a Configuration Descriptor.This Descriptor overrides
the stack with a PowerPC shellcode that gets executed. Now, various USB devices are connected to the emulation USB hub. One device has a large Descriptor with a size of 0xAD, which is part of the exploit and contains static data. A short time later (we are talking
milliseconds here) the jig module is connected, and encrypted data is transmitted to the jig
module. A few milliseconds later, the Jig module answers with 64 byte static data, all USB devices are then disconnected, and a new USB device is connected and the PS3 launches with ‘a new feature’.

PSJailbreak is NOT
software update-able.
The Update feature
which is mentioned, can be done just with
hardware modifications.
So by ‘update’ they mean ‘buy more of our stuff’

Source: gamefreax.de/psjailbreak-reverse-engineered.html

dilav

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ThatDudeWithTheFood said:
Yes let me be first to ask WTF is a Jig
This addon was said to "tricks your console into thinking that it is a developer unit". ... maybe that is what they mean?

dilav

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
sebas001 said:
a usb stick from sony that boots before the actual Fw, it is used to repair bricked PS3's.
ok that makes sense... reminds me of the psp pandora battery thing. People called it a sony jigkick which was used to repair bricked psp.

Interesting news.

overslept

WALLY WALLY WALLY WALLY WALLY WALLY WALLY WORLD
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I love the last sentence
wacko.gif

iNFiNiTY

Trophies
XP
Bascially one main thing this means is, that the dongle won't even be required. You should be able to emulate the exploit from a PC or someone suggested even a PSP connected via USB.

iNFiNiTY

Trophies
XP
DigitalDeviant said:
iNFiNiTY said:
Bascially one main thing this means is, that the dongle won't even be required. You should be able to emulate the exploit from a PC or someone suggested even a PSP connected via USB.

How did you come to that conclusion?

It doesn't rely on any special hardware inside because its not a clone of a JIG device. The exploit could be ported to any piece of hardware that connects to the USB port.

petspaps

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Aman27deep said:
Hero-Link said:
i'll be waiting until people get their hands on this.... once they do and it actually works 100%, i'll be buying a ps3 really fast!

me too
smile.gif

Dido.

Hrm wonder about the update only available by extra hardware, will this be the same with the clones.

Kayot

Trophies
Website
sites.google.com
XP
Country
United States
When I first saw that PS3's had been cracked, I was like "Crap, now I have to buy one."

It's kind of a rule of mine that the moment a system is cracked I get one and crack it. Mainly because I'm scared that when I get older, those systems and their games will be gone with no emulator backup, so I have to hack it and try to get every game made for it to make sure it's always available. The sad part is practically every game I pirate never leaves archive format.

If this exploit is refined, I'll get a PS3. Hopefully they'll add homebrew support. Ironically as much as I pirate, a lot of homebrew and emulators make it way more valuable. I love my PSP 2001. I carry all my SNES and PS1 with me on my massive 32GB card. The only PSP game I play is Disgaea. The homebrew just rocks, categories, cwcheat, pspstate (wish there was a popstate) and a few others like one that lets me play on my monitor with a normal gamepad.

I hope this takes off like crazy. Then again, there aren't a lot of games I'd play for it. Disgaea 3 and maybe FF13. Those I'll buy since I'm a fan. The rest I'd probably pirate and forget about. For now I'll wait and see how this all pans out and whether this is worth it or not. If not, in about 10+ years there will hopefully be a good emulator and torrents with the whole collection... maybe... Should I start downloading now?

Fluto

A potato in disguise
Trophies
XP
Country
what is with sony and their boot this if this is plugged in , think about it
ps2- memory card
psp- battery
ps3- usb

Kayot

Trophies
Website
sites.google.com
XP
Country
United States
It just means that the ps4 wont have a memory card slot, a battery of any kind, or usb slots... At which point they'll exploit video out somehow, thus ending the war.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: Firefox users be like "look at what they have to do to mimic a fraction of our power."