PSA: we don't know anything about homebrew or piracy on Switch

Discussion in 'Switch - Hacking & Homebrew' started by mashers, Oct 21, 2016.

1. Hi-Dro

Hi-Dro GBAtemp Regular

Jun 29, 2016

Brilliant looks like an already thriving SWITCH exploit community.
    Imagine this, split screen SNES/Genesis emulator, so on one half you are playing Super Mario world, and on the other half your mate is playing streets of rage.

I think switch will be awesome for 16 bit multiplayer emulation, NeoGeo, CPS, Snes, Genesis.

2. Yanda

Yanda Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Aug 26, 2015
    It's looks like a web script simply.
    However the fact is very important.

3. missinsummer

missinsummer Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Nov 7, 2015
    not right after release, right???.

4. FabioCapela

FabioCapela Member

Newcomer
    Jul 12, 2007
    Brazil
    Nintendo has had an issue with third party titles selling little since at least the Wii.

Go look at the list of the best selling Wii games; the first non-Nintendo game only comes in 14th place, and even then that is debatable since it's a Mario & Sonic title, so Nintendo had some involvement. The first game on that list that isn't so tied to Nintendo is Just Dance 2, 18th in the list, which only sold about 1/8 of what the best selling non-bundled Nintendo game sold.

Basically, for over a decade now, sales of non-Nintendo games on Nintendo home consoles have been dismal; in the case of multi-platform titles sales on the Nintendo platform have been lower than on competing systems, even when the Nintendo installed base was higher. Atop that Nintendo consoles have higher porting costs, due to being the least powerful and typically using completely different architecture and peripherals compared with everyone else. It's no wonder third party support on Nintendo consoles is spotty at best, a situation I don't think will change with the Switch.

FlappyFalco and PrizmOcto like this.
  5. jrr6415sun

jrr6415sun GBAtemp Regular

Aug 19, 2013
    United States
    and where is your source for that?

I can only speak from personal experience and say that there are 3DS games I probably would have bought if I didn't have a hacked console. Although I did buy the small indie company games that I wanted to support.

Quantumcat likes this.
  6. PrizmOcto

PrizmOcto Member

Newcomer
    Oct 31, 2016
    United States
    You are so right ;)

7. G0R3Z

G0R3Z Just Can't Be Bothered

Aug 12, 2014
    I'm going to be mad if one of the tools isn't called 'switchblade' :lol:

8. Saiyan Lusitano

Saiyan Lusitano GBAtemp Psycho!

Oct 29, 2015
    Portugal
    When the Switch is hacked, what are the chances of it playing 3DS games emulated?

I'm sorry if this was already asked & covered here or somewhere else, I wouldn't know exactly where to find the reply for this estimation.

9. Hi-Dro

Hi-Dro GBAtemp Regular

Jun 29, 2016
    Well don't be expecting 3D visuals, and of course its possible. however its going to be years away and I wouldn't hold your breath as 3ds has duel screen so any emulation will be rubbish and small. Thinking about it may not work at all ? might as well just get an actual 3ds for that.

Saiyan Lusitano likes this.
  10. Saiyan Lusitano

Oct 29, 2015
    Portugal
    I honestly wouldn't really care much for the 3D vision on the 3DS games since that never made the experience immerse for me. The WiiU can run DS games so the Switch might be able after a few years or something.

11. Hi-Dro

Hi-Dro GBAtemp Regular

Jun 29, 2016
    YEah I agree about the whole 3D thing its a great little novelty, but not a deal breaker, especially considering 3D doesn't work that well with most games.

Citra is the DS Emu right ? do they use that as the base code for emulation on the Wii U ?
    and whats the name of the main 3DS emu? (windows)
    Anyway at some point its bound to happen whether it will be playable is another matter.

I'm quite interested to get a Wii U, are they any good for hacking ?

12. Ryccardo

Ryccardo WiiUaboo

Feb 13, 2015
    Italy
    Imola
    Remembering that an ACCURATE emulator isn't necessarily a 100% SPEED emulator, the NX can reasonably run 3DS games -- however, remember that 3DS emulation is far from accurate on PCs (where emulator devs can usually have more freedom and afford less efficiency due to stronger hardware);

Plus there have been few original emulators that run on current gen consoles and are optimized especially for them, due to competition by retroarch ports

5.5.1, current for over a year and most likely final version, is more hacked than any other with the abilty to install any title

Hi-Dro likes this.
  13. Saiyan Lusitano

Oct 29, 2015
    Portugal
    The NX? You mean the Switch or is that something else now known as "NX"?

14. shinyquagsire23

shinyquagsire23 SALT/Sm4sh Leak Guy

Nov 18, 2012
    United States
    Las Vegas
    The Switch uses the NX namesake internally for software, and HAC for hardware.

15. icekoob

icekoob Newbie

Newcomer
    Apr 14, 2017
    Canada
    if the switch does end up emulating 3ds games, it will probably sit in the dock and have the handheld screen as the bottom screen and tv as the top?

16. spiralshadow123

spiralshadow123 Newbie

Newcomer
    Feb 24, 2017
    United States
    Except if it's in the dock, how would you have access to the screen? The only way to do this would be with two Switches, which I hope becomes a possibility in the future.

Quantumcat likes this.
  17. Suso_

Suso_ Newbie

Newcomer
    Apr 23, 2017
    Well, I think using the handheld screen while having it connected by USB might be a possibility, right?

18. Jeanolos

Jeanolos Newbie

Newcomer
    Jun 30, 2016
    Gambia, The
    Switch : switch (switchkart, switchTP, ThemeSwitch, and so on... ;))

19. joten

joten Member

Newcomer
    Mar 31, 2017
    United States
    Does having cartridges make Switch homebrewing any easier?

It seems we're already making good progress. Nintendo is awful at security and we have the BIGGEST homebrew scene along with the webkit, so I'll just rest and wait.

Last edited by joten, May 21, 2017
  20. nmkd

nmkd GBAtemp Regular

Oct 25, 2016
    Gambia, The
    It took years to get the 3DS fully hacked...