Hardware PSA: Switch may kill your SD card!

• Thread starter Deleted User
  • Start date
  • Views 8,958
  • Replies 58
D

Deleted User

OP
I bought a 128gb microSD for my Switch on launch day. I realized the other day that it's hardly being used and I could just use internal storage for now so I took it out and put it in my PC. This is the only time Ive taken it out of the Switch since I bought the card. I start transferring some files and its impossibly slow. It took 15 minutes to transfer an MP3 and when it was done it was corrupted on the other end. So I think "Ok maybe the Switch did something weird for its format or something, I'll just reformat it." Try to format it through windows. "Windows cannot complete the format". I try several times with different formatting options, no dice. I try several formatting programs, errors all day. I try diskpart through a command line, failed. After all of this formatting nonsense I just say "I guess its stuck being only good for my Switch so I guess I'll just put it back in." Now the Switch wont read it correctly and says it's been damaged. There goes a 128gb microSD, completely rendered useless from I'm assuming the Switch.

Maybe it wasn't the Switch, maybe it was some weird freak accident, who knows really Ive never had something like this happen before and Im used to dealing with some formatting bullshit from my Homebrew and modding days.

Just figured I'd share this with you guys, if you put your Switch SD card into your PC and it's acting strange, just put it back into your system because its probably been wrecked.

Let me know if you guys have experienced anything like this before.

tech3475

Trophies
XP
Country
Was this a cheap or a high end one?

When it comes to mSD failures they can vary, I've had some cards fail in months while others lasted years, all with different degrees of usage.

Reactions: Zyteus and elBenyo

DarkIrata

Trophies
Website
ipmix.de
XP
Country
Germany
Looks more like your windows killed the partition system.
Try format it with GParted on a Linux system.
After that recreate a partition, also with GParted.
Should save your sd card.

The low speed problem is a cheap sd card problem.

ov3rkill

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
More info about the sd card would be great like brand, speed, model or something. Where you bought it, etc. This is the first I've heard. You could've bought a cheap micro sd or even fake one.

edit: you can just return it or replace your defective sd card if you've just recently bought it.

mikey420

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This sounds like an isolated case. What class card was this? Low end or cheap cards at notorious for these kinds of failures (not because of the switch but just in general.) Never go with the cheap low end card.

Slartibartfast42

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If the card was cheap, it's probably junk, could be fake. If it's a good card, they should replace it for you under warranty. Also, have you tried a low-level format program or just regular ones?

Reactions: Xabring

xile6

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
seems like a problem with your pc and not the switch.
I had this happen when i was doing stuff with my raspberry pi. Windows couldnt read the formats correctly and mesed up alot of stuff.
Ended up having to get other programs (on top of the paritation programs i already had) to fix the problem.

So i say try another program. Also make sure the card is good and the adapter you use is good.
I had a few bad adapter cause write problems also.

Reactions: Tomy Sakazaki

duffmmann

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Where did you buy the sd card? Never buy them online, that's my advice, so so so many of them claim to have large amounts of storage and seemingly will read that they have a lot of storage as well, but when you actually find out its limit it will be a small fraction of that storage, and when you reach it's limit they'll often get corrupted.

Reactions: Subtle Demise

Futurdreamz

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
The moment I read the title I was betting it would be the SD card being cheap or counterfeit. You never mentioned the make or where you got it, and haven't replied to this thread.

Reactions: Xabring

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Never had any problems with my Sandisk cards. However, cheap shit? For sure.
I once had a problem with a 64GB Sandisk card, a long time ago when they were expensive as fuck.
They don't seem to be wash machine friendly... should have used dry cleaning instead /s
Afterwards each time I connected it to something it went up to like 80°C or something (would burn your fingers) and ofc didn't work.
I have done that before with Samsung EVOs and they still worked (yes, I'm an idiot regarding forgetting things in my pockets)

Reactions: Saiyan Lusitano

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Life span may vary, but i hate sd cards in general, can't trust them. Memory stick pro duo while less popular never had one fail in 10 years, still work to this day. Vita memory cards may be expensive as unnecessary as it is, but never had it corrupt on me so yeah. STEP YOUR GAME UP SD CARDS. :mellow:

On the other hand, micro sd cards are just TOO small, trying yo remove them from devices is a pain with short nails,:ninja:

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: But I bet that would be more for a flashcart than a consumer repro board.