Homebrew PSA: Don't use sighax.com!

D

Deleted User

OP instructions are still wrong...
If you want to launch the sighax installer by using A9LH, just copy "arm9loaderhax.bin" to your SD card.
In order to use Luma you need to install a chainloader firm for it (such as "B9S"), this should be your "target_firm.bin".
You are not supposed to install the installer (this isn't even possible anymore).
Fwiw, the only bricks I am aware of are due to wrong usage.
*cough*
USER ERROR!

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Boot9Strap gets recognized as SigHax. What are the actual differences?
Are we comparing the payloads?

B9S works comparably to A9LH: it loads a further-stage payload from SD, or if missing from ctrnand
with Sighax.com you install your payload directly to the kernel partition

Or are we comparing the installer?

SafeB9Sinstaller is simpler and has more sanity checks, especially with regard to the secret sector
The sighax.com installer is competent as an installer, but lacked instructions for the longest time and many (including guides on this website) got it wrong, plus it may not have restored correctly the secret sector

B9S is an implementation of the Sighax vulnerability demonstrated at CCC.
The thing available at Sighax.com is a different implementation of that vulnerability.

Last edited by Ryccardo,
Reactions: OrGoN3

OrGoN3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Are we comparing the payloads?

B9S works comparably to A9LH: it loads a further-stage payload from SD, or if missing from ctrnand
with Sighax.com you install your payload directly to the kernel partition

Or are we comparing the installer?

SafeB9Sinstaller is simpler and has more sanity checks, especially with regard to the secret sector
The sighax.com installer is competent as an installer, but lacked instructions for the longest time and many (including guides on this website) got it wrong, plus it may not have restored correctly the secret sector

B9S is an implementation of the Sighax vulnerability demonstrated at CCC.
The thing available at Sighax.com is a different implementation of that vulnerability.

Ah. So Sighax.com is what we've been waiting for, but B9S came out first and got adopted immediately. Thanks!

Reactions: Ryccardo

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Sighax.com only have the installer to download!!! There is no payload or bootloader in that site!!

There nothing to compare between B9S and what is in Sighax.com
Of course, you have to supply the payload yourself - check out the instructions that derrek supplied (a little bit too late) in this very topic

Gray_Jack

Trophies
XP
Country
Ah. So Sighax.com is what we've been waiting for, but B9S came out first and got adopted immediately. Thanks!

Nope, Sighax.com only have a installer that is less user friendly that SafeB9SInstaller

What you seen to want is a CFW inside the FIRM, so all you have to do is build 3dshax CFW by yourself and install in using a installer

OrGoN3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Of course, you have to supply the payload yourself - check out the instructions that derrek supplied (a little bit too late) in this very topic

So much confusion with all of this. My console, B9S'd, identifies as SigHax with the new Luma Updater. Luma3DS says it only works with SigHax, yet it works with B9S. Everyone talked all about SigHax, and then B9S came out and SigHax bricked due to bad instructions.

So what payload would we install into SigHax? Will we all eventually migrate to SigHax, in your opinion?

Ahh, gotta install a bootloader. Can't be Luma itself even though it has a chainloader. Bummer.

Edit: meant for Ryccardo

Last edited by OrGoN3,

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Luma3DS says it only works with SigHax, yet it works with B9S.
As I said, SafeB9SInstaller is an implementation of a Sighax installer.
The unnamed thing available at sighax.com (that everyone is obviously calling Sighax) is also an implementation of a Sighax installer.
Other sighax installers are manually injecting in the kernel partitions via hardmod/DSiware; everything checks out once you get this confusion sorted.

So what payload would we install into SigHax? A bootloader or Luma itself?
Derrek recommends installing the B9S payload with the sighax.com installer, that's what I personally did too, haven't tried other payloads

Will we all eventually migrate to SigHax, in your opinion?
Again, sighax as a concept (almost everyone will switch, yes) or the sighax.com installer mplementation (nooope)?

Last edited by Ryccardo,

Gray_Jack

Trophies
XP
Country
So much confusion with all of this. My console, B9S'd, identifies as SigHax with the new Luma Updater. Luma3DS says it only works with SigHax, yet it works with B9S. Everyone talked all about SigHax, and then B9S came out and SigHax bricked due to bad instructions.

So what payload would we install into SigHax? A bootloader or Luma itself? Will we all eventually migrate to SigHax, in your opinion?

Edit: meant for Ryccardo

Sighax is a vulnerability, Boot9Strap is a software that exploits this vulnerability

Don't install Luma inside the FIRM!!!! Although it supports being loaded from a bootloader in the firm, I thing it does NOT support being installed in the firm

OrGoN3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As I said, B9S is an implementation of Sighax.
The unnamed thing available at sighax.com (that everyone is obviously calling Sighax) is also an implementation of Sighax. Everything checks out.

Derrek recommends installing the B9S payload with the sighax.com installer, that's what I personally did too, haven't tried other payloads

Again, sighax as a concept (almost everyone will switch, yes) or the sighax.com implementation (nooope)?

Ahhhhhhhhh. Like IOSU!!!! Sorry for being so stupid. It was an early morning for me. So you installed the B9S payload into SigHax. Interesting. Is there any benefit to using Sighax.com installer rather than just B9S?

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Ahhhhhhhhh. Like IOSU!!!! Sorry for being so stupid. It was an early morning for me. So you installed the B9S payload into SigHax. Interesting. Is there any benefit to using Sighax.com installer rather than just B9S?
Nope

There is no implementation of sighax in the Sighax.com, only a installer
True, poor word choice, will fix

OrGoN3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nope

True, poor word choice, will fix

Yeah, I think SigHax.com calling itself SigHax gets confusing to me, but what do I know (more than I did a few minutes ago!!!! Thanks guys!). I'd assume boot speeds are about equal for both, even with defaulting a payload. I won't ask why the two exist. Obviously devs made different choices. I guess B9S is all that's needed (like HaxchiCFW) but others will exist (like Mocha!).

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I guess B9S is all that's needed (like HaxchiCFW) but others will exist (like Mocha!).
Mocha has practical differences from Haxchi/CBHC minicfw, the two sighax installers don't (as long as you use B9S as payload for both) (and of course as long as they success) :)

I'd assume boot speeds are about equal for both
Yep, because (if you use the B9S payload on both installers) the results are the same; and it's only slightly faster than A9LH

(very funny because most early users of A9LH loved the "10x faster cfw startup compared to menuhax", then went to slow it down with splash screens and bootanimations)

Reactions: OrGoN3 and Arubaro

Beakershell

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
So it means the guide from 3ds.guide has longer instructions(lots of words) but the instruction was more clear and easy to follow?

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
So it means the guide from 3ds.guide has longer instructions(lots of words) but the instruction was more clear and easy to follow?
They're not perfect (in fact, I had to read, understand, and adapt them for what I wanted to get - which doesn't include Lumaupdater, for one)

The how to upgrade page is actually a bit more chaotic than the main guide!

But yes, long instructions (with unrelated things mixed in) are still better than no instructions and no source code you could have guessed from

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: aeiou