Hacking PSA: Do not forgot to block update servers!

Colarfulltaco

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
So i neglected blocking Nintendo after switching over different home networks. One was set to block the servers while the other i didn't have access to. After leaving the console on standby (mind you automatic updates was turned off) the console must of somehow updated and installed on it's own the proper firmware.

Now i haven't tried deleting the update remover off my console (that might fix it, maybe not) but i'll keep you guys updated.

Coming home to seeing none of the payloads working is a hard breaking thing. Being a dipshit while neglecting the possible scenarios is not the way to go.

For the love of mucus, do BLOCK ALL SERVERS people. It ruined my day and may ruin yours.

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
everyone should have standby mode disabled too, at-least if that's disabled you will see and have time to pull the plug on a system update, but if you have standby enabled it will merrily update while you think its off....iirc turning off automatic updates just means it won't download game updates in standby mode, it will still grab/install system updates that are already downloaded on the system

Last edited by gamesquest1,
Reactions: Colarfulltaco

thxmatethx

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
since i have blocked internet access on the mac wiiu adress, and have a red cross on internet when checking wifi connection i'm ok i guess ?
only using it to connect on my local server.
No online play..

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
since i have blocked internet access on the mac wiiu adress, and have a red cross on internet when checking wifi connection i'm ok i guess ?
only using it to connect on my local server.
No online play..
yeah i think the moral of the story is, if you setup a new wifi connection, remember to set up your blocks at the same time

Kylecito

eats warnings for breakfast
Trophies
XP
Country
Cote d'Ivoire
What if I'm sharing cable broadband through my computer, with it acting as a WiFi AP? Would changing the DNS on the WiiU to tubehax be enough to block the servers?

FaTaL_ErRoR

AKA ŦƕƎ ƠṀƐƝ
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There seems to be a new one floating about that needs blocking in the list, not sure why though?> cbvc.cdn.nintendo.net
Lol, there are more than that. Some of the game updates have new ones to call on. And you should be careful with online gaming by means of spoofing. I heard some of the servers are getting updates to check for different parts of updates. And new updates are using slow downloading techniques to no alert the user. A sort of stealth update. Nintendo has always had the ability to update the web browser without alerting the user it's even happening. (and judging by the urls you guys are blocking it's still possible) I really don't know why they have yet to use it.

Reecey

Mario 64 (favorite game of all time)
Trophies
XP
Country
Lol, there are more than that. Some of the game updates have new ones to call on. And you should be careful with online gaming by means of spoofing. I heard some of the servers are getting updates to check for different parts of updates. And new updates are using slow downloading techniques to no alert the user. A sort of stealth update. Nintendo has always had the ability to update the web browser without alerting the user it's even happening. (and judging by the urls you guys are blocking it's still possible) I really don't know why they have yet to use it.
I knew about these ones to block for the wiiu, which I have blocked:-

nus.c.shop.nintendowifi.net
nus.cdn.c.shop.nintendowifi.net
nus.cdn.shop.wii.com
nus.cdn.wup.shop.nintendo.net
nus.wup.shop.nintendo.net

I have got rid of this one because it stops purchased games from eshop downloading properly somehow to your main menu. It makes you download the newest update first before your purchased titles in the management list>
c.shop.nintendowifi.net

but only just found out about this one>cbvc.cdn.nintendo.net does it even need blocking for the wiiu? Is there anymore I should be blocking?

I see yes sometimes I use online with MK8 & SSB, I didn't think it was even a problem as long as your wiiu is spoofed to FW5.5.0? it seems to work as normal procedure.

Last edited by Reecey,
D

Deleted-355425

Just a thought, how does NUSGrabber work? does it download the patches from Nintendo directly? could they slip in something hidden that way if you apply them to your console to update a rom?

Last edited by ,

ByteBite

Trophies
XP
Country
Seychelles
[citation needed]

PamiPumiKyun

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi!

Need some help:

-Have Nucom ru5000nu
-Block like this:

-Then I tried ping and got this:

Still getting response.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanx!!!!!

karamu

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Pami - I found my router (different from yours) for some reason doesn't block sites over wifi connections, only cable. Cheap thing doesn't work properly and no firmware updates to fix it.
I ended up just blocking the WiiU from accessing outside network and hosting locally, works a treat.

PamiPumiKyun

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Pami - I found my router (different from yours) for some reason doesn't block sites over wifi connections, only cable. Cheap thing doesn't work properly and no firmware updates to fix it.
I ended up just blocking the WiiU from accessing outside network and hosting locally, works a treat.

Thanks!

So, doing a successfull ping to the URLs means the router is not blocking the URL, right?

karamu

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Thanks!

So, doing a successfull ping to the URLs means the router is not blocking the URL, right?
My understanding is that ping still works as it is used by people to find ways around url blocking at schools, work etc. I'm happy to be corrected though.

With the all in one package in the guide topic sticky, self hosting is really easy. I just think that is the safest way forward unless you really need access to online on your wiiU. Especially since if you have an android phone you can host loadiine on it, making it really convenient.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    it wasn't a question, it was fact
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    He said he had 3 different doctors apt this week, so he prob there. Something about gerbal extraction, I don't know.
    +1
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    bored, guess i'll spread more democracy
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    @K3Nv2 one more time you say such bs to @BakerMan and I'll smack you across the whole planet
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Make sure you smack my booty daddy
    +1
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    telling him that my partner is luke...does he look like someone with such big ne
    eds?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    do you really think I could stand living with someone like luke?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    I suppose luke has "special needs" but he's not my partner, did you just say that to piss me off again?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    besides I had bigger worries today
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    but what do you know about that, you won't believe me anyways
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @BigOnYa can answer that
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    BigOnYa already left the chat
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Biginya
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Auto correct got me, I'm on my tablet, i need to turn that shit off
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    With other tabs open you perv
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'm actually in my shed, bout to cut 2-3 acres of grass, my back yard.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I use to have a guy for that thanks richard
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I use my tablet to stream to a bluetooth speaker when in shed. iHeartRadio, FlyNation
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    While the victims are being buried
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Grave shovel
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nuh those goto the edge of the property (maybe just on the other side of)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    On the neighbors side
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yup, by the weird smelly green bushy looking plants.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://www.the-sun.com/news/10907833/self-checkout-complaints-new-target-dollar-general-policies...