Hardware PS4 Pro Questions

Skeet1983

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi guys. I am thinking about getting a PS4 Pro sometime soon hopefully. Thing is, I do not have a 4K tv. Would I still get much benefit from the system? Also, how much could I expect to get in trade in to local game store for the following:

- X Box One (Not S). (Am getting an XBox One X for Christmas).
- PS4 (Not slim)

Would be trading those in toward purchase of PS4 Pro

Thoughts and help on all this appreciated :)

Lmaokernel

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can't tell you what you'd get for those. If you mean a gamestop you won't get much. It doesn't matter if your console is mint condition they won't give you any more for it.

But even if you don't have a 4k TV it should still run games better. And if you have or want a PSVR I hear the normal ps4s don't run some vr games all that well compared with a pro.

Look up prices on eBay to get a general idea of what you'd get for them

Sent from my toaster running Rebug

Last edited by Lmaokernel,

Pedeadstrian

GBAtemp's Official frill-necked lizard.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
4K support is the biggest reason for getting a PS4 Pro. If you don't plan on getting a 4K tv/monitor any time soon, I wouldn't recommend it. Considering some analysts (take their word with a grain of salt) are saying the next console will come out in 2019, there's not much time left to earn the extra $100-$150 it'll cost over a regular PS4.

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well 4K is probably the only marketing of the selling point, but it does include

• 1TB HDD (You probably wanna upgrade it anyway)
  • 5GHZ AC wifi (compared to the 2013 original 2.4GHZ B/G/N, perhaps worth it)
  • Improved performance on some games (older games may require update to make use of it) Newer games will tell you if it does on the back of the box)
I mean I have one and no 4K TV so if you want to upgrade, then is just if you consider those things enough. The wifi helps if you don't use wire connections (Though I think the network infrastructure is just bad entirely) and improved performance ranging from stable framerates to shorter loading times. I don't see 4K as important as having a functional game, sure it increases resolution, make stuff as pretty as it could be, but not many games even make use of the upgrade, and newer game releases sure don't advertise as much as you would expect either. Games requiring updates just to do so is not the same as buying a new game with it working from day one.

Last edited by Sonic Angel Knight,

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
If you told me you were upgrading from an Xbox One to an Xbox One X, I would understand, kind of (standard XB1 suffers a lot).
But I don't think a PS4 Pro is a good enough upgrade from a standard PS4, unless you really want to do 4K no matter what, the standard PS4 already runs well enough and the PS4 Pro improvement in actual games is not that great, my opinion of course.

Reactions: Sonic Angel Knight

GunzOfNavarone

Trophies
XP
Country
I have a pro and a 1080 tv and I would say yes, there is still a benefit. There are patches exclusively released to take use of the additional cpu power and ram. They're not aimed solely at HDR and 4K. But at the end of the day, the cost difference comes down to you and whether you consider it to be worth it. For me it was a no brainer as I'm a PC gamer too so I wanted the most powerful version as it helps with things like framerate and texture mapping. The best thing to do would be to consider what games you plan to get and go and search to see if they have exclusive pro updates and what those updates contain.

Spider_Man

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yea there would be no advantage in getting a PS4pro, youd be paying for a new console to run same games at max resolution your tv supports.... assuming 1080p, which is what the basic models output.

this is what annoys me with these 4k models, they offer nothing, just a patch the change the output resolution.

you are still playing the same games, with the same model detail, same ploygon count, same default textures (but just look better in 4k, but still clearly not recreated).

I got an XBX1X at launch and when we get past its constant error codes due to MS shit programming software and its shit live service being forced, I havent really noticed anything major.

Ive completed GEARS4 claiming to be 4k enhanced and it didnt look much different that what ive seen on the PS4.
Ive completed Quantum Break, again looked good but cant say it was anything major, plus frequent times during cut scenes you can see the frames drop and it stutters (no nothing to do with the time fracture).

I think the main games youll see a difference is new titles, but on the other hand i dont understand why XBX1 updates have to be so large for 4K when you can buy a PC game that is smaller when you look at the XBX1X disc size/install+4KUpdate.... and PC versions run in 4K and have better textures.

Personally i would hold off buying these 4K models and wait for the next gen to come out, only reason I have an XBX1X is because I wanted to buy an XBX1 (because i had a GEARS phase and has just completed 1,2,3 again on 360 and wanted to play 4...... stupid i know considering its story was very weak, and the game was very short..... yup another game focusing more on online multiplayer than the actual game itself) So decided to get the XBX1X.

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
yea there would be no advantage in getting a PS4pro, youd be paying for a new console to run same games at max resolution your tv supports.... assuming 1080p, which is what the basic models output.

this is what annoys me with these 4k models, they offer nothing, just a patch the change the output resolution.

I don't own any ps4, but I was under the impression that running a pro in 1080p does have some advantages

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1310043

I don't have a 4k tv yet, but if I bought a ps4 it would be a pro. Although if I had a ps4 already, then I probably wouldn't replace it with a pro just yet.

there's not much time left to earn the extra $100-$150 it'll cost over a regular PS4.

The prices have been pretty aggressive in the UK during the run up to xmas. The difference between the standard and Pro are about the cost of a game.

Last edited by smf,

Spider_Man

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't own any ps4, but I was under the impression that running a pro in 1080p does have some advantages

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1310043

I don't have a 4k tv yet, but if I bought a ps4 it would be a pro. Although if I had a ps4 already, then I probably wouldn't replace it with a pro just yet.

The prices have been pretty aggressive in the UK during the run up to xmas. The difference between the standard and Pro are about the cost of a game.
it doesnt.

your ps4 pro only has advantages if you download the 4k updates and run in 4k.

if you run in 1080p then your getting nothing different, its not like playing a PS2 game then comparing to its HD remaster on the PS3.

sarkwalvein

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
it doesnt.

your ps4 pro only has advantages if you download the 4k updates and run in 4k.

if you run in 1080p then your getting nothing different, its not like playing a PS2 game then comparing to its HD remaster on the PS3.
There are some game patches like the FFXV patch for the PS4 Pro that provide 1080p modes with improved frame rate or visual detail (textures/shadows/etc, not models).
So, one could say that there is an "improvement" for some games even in 1080p TV sets, but IMHO that "improvement" is not worth upgrading from the old PS4.

Pedeadstrian

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I haven't seen a PS4 Pro under $350, whereas I've seen PS4s (possibly even bundles) at $250 or less.

Skeet1983

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi guys. Thanks for all the thoughts and help on my situation. One of the reasons I wanted to get a PS4P was because when playing Final Fantasy 15, the fans would go loud/high in my original PS4... Is that normal?

sarkwalvein

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Hi guys. Thanks for all the thoughts and help on my situation. One of the reasons I wanted to get a PS4P was because when playing Final Fantasy 15, the fans would go loud/high in my original PS4... Is that normal?
I think it is normal, perhaps it is just my experience with the PS4 but the thing I don't like about it is that it is loud as fuck. (so for me that is and has always been normal, not much better in the PS4 Pro though)

I guess you could just clean your PS4, dust it, use some air can, i.e. just improve the ventilation on it, or if you want to go further then feed cold air to it's intake, be it with a AC or whatever, don't let it sit in an enclosed space, let it breath.

Skeet1983

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If I do get a PS4P, how would I transfer saves to new system? Also, would I be able to re-download games if I use same PSN ID on PS4P? Also, I have a USB HDD attached to my current PS4. How can I reformat it for use on PS4P? I didn't see anything in system settings about how to reformat USB HDD for use with new system. Help appreciated :)

Last edited by Skeet1983,

Spider_Man

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There are some game patches like the FFXV patch for the PS4 Pro that provide 1080p modes with improved frame rate or visual detail (textures/shadows/etc, not models).
So, one could say that there is an "improvement" for some games even in 1080p TV sets, but IMHO that "improvement" is not worth upgrading from the old PS4.
yea but this patch is mainly the option of running 1080p@60fps or 4k@30fps.

If OP got a PS4 he still wont benefit anything from it, a mear 30fps extra which to be fair most games lately run in 30fps and its not exactly noticeable like trying to run a demanding game on a low end PC.

So said game would run still at 1080p@30fps..... not really worth paying for a PS4pro for that.

textures again on these updated games are not improved, its just a graphic engine patch to change its output to support 4k, it may also increase other settings but textures are default.

I remember one user on a different thread when i was like WTF GEARS4 130GB update, been sat on launch day (all day through to the next) to download this update, he insisted the update was this big because its textures had been fully re created..... if they had then fuck me the textures are decent but far from recreated.

I think its future games that we will see the difference, if done correctly, that the game engine on disc will be like a PC, its got its default files that installs and the engine is benchmarked to set texture quality higher for Pro models than it would launch models.

I hope to god its not going to be downloading big ass updated for every new title that comes out.

If a PC can achieve this without big ass downloads then surely these consoles can.

Pedeadstrian

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If I do get a PS4P, how would I transfer saves to new system? Also, would I be able to re-download games if I use same PSN ID on PS4P? Also, I have a USB HDD attached to my current PS4. How can I reformat it for use on PS4P? I didn't see anything in system settings about how to reformat USB HDD for use with new system. Help appreciated :)
I don't remember where exactly in the settings, but there should be a system transfer section. You'll essentially copy your saves, settings, etc. onto a USB. And I have not used a USB HDD, but I imagine it just reads off of it like a normal USB device and doesn't use it as a system drive, meaning you should still be able to use it on your PS4 Pro without doing a reformat. It's not like the architecture will change.

Skeet1983

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi again guys. I got a PS4 Pro yesterday :)

On my entertainment stand/cart, I have the system placed horizontally (I don't have Vertical Stand). Anyway, where are the vents located on the system? I have a USB HDD attached to system, is it safe/ok to place USB HDD on top of system? Thoughts and help greatly appreciated :)

Side Questions: I am currently installing GT Sport. It says it is downloading update(s), but I can hear the disc drive and it is kinda loud... Is this normal?

Last edited by Skeet1983,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: @SylverReZ, Indeed lol